Towing Fuel Economy

signfan

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

That’s the good thing about vehicles.  People can buy and drive what pleases them.  Personally I would buy a 2500 Diesel truck long before I buy a corvette or Mustang.  Waste of money to say I have it?

i know one thing, in all the years I have owned a pickup I have had way more friends ask to borrow my trucks then the guys who own corvettes and mustangs. Go figure!!

I was referring to people that buy a 3/4 ton pickup & they don't tow or carry anything that would require a 'big' diesel. The newer half tons w/ the 'baby' diesels are a different kettle of fish.

I've read a similar thing. Pickup owners who have a neighbour(s) that look down on them because of the truck in the driveway (drive some econo box or have no vehicle @ all). Then the day comes that they get asked if they could do a favour...

On 12/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Yes customer has a XR4TI that needed a bunch of mechanical love to make reliable again.

20171015_093541.jpg

Gary's?

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

I was referring to people that buy a 3/4 ton pickup & they don't tow or carry anything that would require a 'big' diesel. The newer half tons w/ the 'baby' diesels are a different kettle of fish.

I've read a similar thing. Pickup owners who have a neighbour(s) that look down on them because of the truck in the driveway (drive some econo box or have no vehicle @ all). Then the day comes that they get asked if they could do a favour...

People look down on those that drive trucks....interesting.... 

I have only drove a truck now for that last 20 or so years, could not imagine not having a truck now.

Decided to switch to an HD truck on last one I bought, went with the gas version due to the amount of towing I do, or rather do not do, I did not see the justification to spend the extra $$ up front on the diesel, but people need to understand the extra $$ you do pay upfront, you get all or most back on resale, and if you happen to buy a Dodge when they offer the special where you do not pay extra for the diesel, that is a win/win when selling.

So far very happy with the HD, other than the higher costs to sticker it, brakes, etc....but nothing to complain about, especially when you use it to tow or load the bed full or materials....payload is so much better.

As for towing, narrower v-nose trailer will always be easier to tow, or an open trailer if you are really concerned about your MPG. I recall switching from an open car trailer to an enclosed car trailer years ago that did not have much weight difference between the two and it was night and day towing the two.

37 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have only drove a truck now for that last 20 or so years, could not imagine not having a truck now.

Decided to switch to an HD truck on last one I bought, went with the gas version due to the amount of towing I do, or rather do not do, I did not see the justification to spend the extra $$ up front on the diesel, but people need to understand the extra $$ you do pay upfront, you get all or most back on resale, and if you happen to buy a Dodge when they offer the special where you do not pay extra for the diesel, that is a win/win when selling.

So far very happy with the HD, other than the higher costs to sticker it, brakes, etc....but nothing to complain about, especially when you use it to tow or load the bed full of materials....payload is so much better.

As for towing, narrower v-nose trailer will always be easier to tow, or an open trailer if you are really concerned about your MPG. I recall switching from an open car trailer to an enclosed car trailer years ago that did not have much weight difference between the two and it was night and day towing the two.

X2

My last 1/2 ton was a '94 or '95. For my usage I had to add 2 leaves on each rear spring pack. As a result the truck looked like it was jacked up in the rear worse than a 3/4 ton...

10 hours ago, stoney said:

So far very happy with the HD, other than the higher costs to sticker it, brakes, etc....but nothing to complain about, especially when you use it to tow or load the bed full or materials....payload is so much better.

No more stickers for personal use. Win win with HD diesel.

• Like 1

just arrived in Tampa Fla last night.

Drove down in my 14 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Approx 2400 KM, I did approx 800 KM per day and averaged 11.3/100 km! for the whole trip.

Kept the speed down to 120 kph or less for the entire trip.

I wasn't towing anything, but the truck was loaded (we are here for 6 weeks and my wife didn't leave anything at home!)

I have never got more than 15/100 towing anything with this truck.

The combination of the 8speed tranny and the 3:21 rear is great

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

just arrived in Tampa Fla last night.

Drove down in my 14 Ram 5.7 Hemi. Approx 2400 KM, I did approx 800 KM per day and averaged 11.3/100 km! for the whole trip.

Kept the speed down to 120 kph or less for the entire trip.

I wasn't towing anything, but the truck was loaded (we are here for 6 weeks and my wife didn't leave anything at home!)

I have never got more than 15/100 towing anything with this truck.

The combination of the 8speed tranny and the 3:21 rear is great

And how many people out there still think trucks suck for fuel mileage.  Your mileage is freaking great.  No Prius or tesla for this guy...

15 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

It surely is.

I get the feeling I should know who you are. It's a small world! 

2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

And how many people out there still think trucks suck for fuel mileage.  Your mileage is freaking great.  No Prius or tesla for this guy...

I track all my mileage and fuel consumption in a spreadsheet every time I fill up. I'm more than happy with what I get in the truck. Especially when I compare it to what others are getting in their compact SUV's as an example.

• Like 1

I've been using between 16.6 and 17.9 litres per 100 kms on the past 3 tanks in a 2015 Dodge 1500 Hemi, towing an enclosed 167 Bullitt trailer with a pair of 1200 Skidoos inside. Cruise set at 100 to 110 kph depending on type of highway.

Edited by Blake G

9 hours ago, Sksman said:

No more stickers for personal use. Win win with HD diesel.

What was the deal w/ that? In all the years I've owned trucks, I never had 1 or was asked @ the licencing offices if I wanted 1. Registration shows the OPU code though.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

What was the deal w/ that? In all the years I've owned trucks, I never had 1 or was asked @ the licencing offices if I wanted 1. Registration shows the OPU code though.

Anything over 4500kg combined weight required a yearly inspection with yellow sticker dated for proof.  

Tandem axle enclosed trailer also required.

it was a disputed topic many times but weigh scales in Milton told me I needed yellow stickers with F150 and 23 ft Triton. 

Conservative gov has cancelled yellow stickers for private use.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anything over 4500kg combined weight required a yearly inspection with yellow sticker dated for proof.  

Tandem axle enclosed trailer also required.

it was a disputed topic many times but weigh scales in Milton told me I needed yellow stickers with F150 and 23 ft Triton. 

Conservative gov has cancelled yellow stickers for private use.  

Technically any half ton with a single axle 3500lb trailer needed the yellow stickers. It was such a cash grab. Glad it’s gone for personal use, most homeowners never knew about it anyways... I still need them though.

Edited by Baylaker

That and not being talked down to by horse face was worth getting off the couch and lining up to vote right there. 

My tandem cargo trailer is more roadworthy than any single axle, and yet I was going to be penalized for it by needing yet another tax grab dropped on me twice? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

That and not being talked down to by horse face was worth getting off the couch and lining up to vote right there. 

My tandem cargo trailer is more roadworthy than any single axle, and yet I was going to be penalized for it by needing yet another tax grab dropped on me twice? 

I don’t vote, but if I did, I would’ve voted for that reason to. They all screw us in the end, doesn’t matter who ya vote for. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Twice every year too. Worse yet the CVOR program was put in place to improve road safety yet the injury related accidents with CVOR registered vehicles WENT UP noticeably and have STAYED UP. The program kills people, literally yet you give these bureaucratic goons some power to harass people to bill and collect in the name of safety? Well your gonna get harassed and billed because its about safety dammit! Screw the facts!!! We have a mandate to harass and bill you because its about SAFETY and anyone who argues against this is making a false social construct and against public safety!!!

:shock:

I was referring to the little red sticker some folks had on their licence plates.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I was referring to the little red sticker some folks had on their licence plates.

I have one on my Dakota and my neighbor has one on his brand new Tacoma.  They are used on the trucks I see every morning going past me WOT on the 401 east bound for the GTA with only one person in the thing getting 12 l/100km while I get 7 l/100 in my Sonata.  Neither one of us are carrying anything but our own a$$es.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:28 AM, Turbo Doo said:

We went from a 2 place Triton Clamshell, to the TC167 several years ago. In my experience,  the TC167 did everything better then the clamshell. Of course in the wind, being a longer trailer and more 'sidewall ' it will move around more. But for visuals down the sides of the trailer while towing is much better,  with it being only 7 wide. Imo its the better option. We now have a PR147...

Reviving this topic.  Curious does the PR147 tow better or worse than the TC167?  Little taller, but you have the v-nose to cut the wind and a second axle for stability.  Did you notice much difference making this jump?  This is ultimately where I'll probably end up, so might make sense to just wait and then skip the TC167 altogether going to the PR147.  Any regrets with what you have now?

I went from a clamshell to the PR147.  I have no experience with the 167 but I loved my PR147.  I expect that I will have occurrences to have all 3 sleds (2 - 136"  and 1 - 121) so I upgraded last year to a PR - 187.  The trailer tows very nicely and I have no regrets.

28 minutes ago, signfan said:

Reviving this topic.  Curious does the PR147 tow better or worse than the TC167?  Little taller, but you have the v-nose to cut the wind and a second axle for stability.  Did you notice much difference making this jump?  This is ultimately where I'll probably end up, so might make sense to just wait and then skip the TC167 altogether going to the PR147.  Any regrets with what you have now?

To be honest,  I think the PR 147, or a XT 147, depending on your budget, tows better then the TC 167. I found that with the TC167, having  only 1 axle, when loaded, the weight was always ahead of the axle. My sleds where always loaded in, driving in, and you could never get the majority of the weight over the axle. Just my opinion. I found when loaded,  it had alot of tounge weight. You can order the TC 167 with a double axle, but why bother when you can move up to a xt or a pr. Plus, standing in the tc 167 SUCKS. It looks like a TC 167, like i had, with the inside walls finished, is now running pretty much at 11gs..

Also i have loaded and unloaded our older XT 147 and our current new PR147 un hooked from the truck. Which is nice sometimes. I have even loaded my X series JD into our previous XT 147 un hooked from the truck.  The XT and PR being a larger trailer, will always catch more wind, at least against the sidewall. I am very very comfortable towing with my half ton silverado, but the next truck will possibly be a 2500. Just for more added stability,  and the thought of moving to a PR 187 in a season or 2. I would also never tow without decent snow tires in the winter season...

Which ever way you go, think about ordering a trailer. That way, you get what you want, and can customize it to your needs. 

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

To be honest,  I think the PR 147, or a XT 147, depending on your budget, tows better then the TC 167. I found that with the TC167, having  only 1 axle, when loaded, the weight was always ahead of the axle. My sleds where always loaded in, driving in, and you could never get the majority of the weight over the axle. Just my opinion. I found when loaded,  it had alot of tounge weight. You can order the TC 167 with a double axle, but why bother when you can move up to a xt or a pr. Plus, standing in the tc 167 SUCKS. It looks like a TC 167, like i had, with the inside walls finished, is now running pretty much at 11gs..

Also i have loaded and unloaded our older XT 147 and our current new PR147 un hooked from the truck. Which is nice sometimes. I have even loaded my X series JD into our previous XT 147 un hooked from the truck.  The XT and PR being a larger trailer, will always catch more wind, at least against the sidewall. I am very very comfortable towing with my half ton silverado, but the next truck will possibly be a 2500. Just for more added stability,  and the thought of moving to a PR 187 in a season or 2. I would also never tow without decent snow tires in the winter season...

Which ever way you go, think about ordering a trailer. That way, you get what you want, and can customize it to your needs. 

Time to get a helicopter license and leave sleds and atv in NCDN. I go splits with you :D

Cochrane has a pretty nice airport!

Edited by Strong Farmer

String Farmer in a helicopter. What could go wrong? :grin:

9k=.jpg

• Haha 6