TRACKS ARE CLOSING TRAILS

Lep

This was posted on  the Bridgeport Snowmobile Clubs FB page:

For Immediate Release
Snowmobile Club Volunteers Work on Re-Routes as Snowmobile Trails Not Allowed on GRCA Property for the 2021 Season:
For decades, six of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) member clubs have enjoyed a mutually beneficial partnership with the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) - Arthur Snowblazers, Elmira Snowmobile Club, Fergus Elora Belwood Snowmobile Club, Hillsburgh Snow Roamers, Lake Conestoga Snowmobile Club, and the Orangeville Snowmobile Club. Through this partnership, club volunteers have built and maintained snowmobile trails on GRCA managed lands for the recreational enjoyment of riders, as well as for the economic benefit to their small local communities. Unfortunately, it now appears club volunteers will have to re-route their trails around the GRCA for the second season in a row due to the inability to obtain an appropriate land use agreement with the conservation authority. In July 2019, clubs became aware of clauses in GRCA’s land use agreement that could expose them to personal uninsured risk and began reaching out to the conservation authority to discuss changes to the annual agreement. After months of conversation, it was determined last November that an agreement could not be reached for the 2020 snowmobile season. Both sides decided that the partnership was important and agreed to continue to work towards a solution for the 2021 winter season. Many meetings took place over the summer between OFSC member clubs, district representatives and GRCA staff. Unfortunately, the meetings and discussions were unsuccessful at producing a new agreement. The OFSC, on behalf of their member clubs, carries Commercial General Liability insurance that will respond on behalf of its clubs, its volunteers, and its landowners in the event of any claim arising from activities that are usual to a snowmobile club. However, for a number of years the GRCA agreement has contained clauses that have been putting clubs and volunteers at personal uninsured risk. Specifically, their agreement required that the clubs also ensure the safety of the other user groups that GRCA invites to utilize the properties on a year-round basis, as well as indemnifying and holding harmless the GRCA for other liability that has nothing to do with the operation of a snowmobile trail. OFSC District 9 expressed that club volunteers were extremely disappointed with the most recent decision from the GRCA. OFSC District 9 expressed: “It’s heartbreaking that clubs and riders will not have access again for the 2021 snowmobile season. This is about more than just user fees and risk management programs. This is about the thousands of hours our dedicated volunteers have spent tending to GRCA managed properties over many years. It’s also about the many riders that will not be able to experience the winter beauty of these properties and the small local businesses that will suffer”. Its also worthy to note that well over $200,000 of snowmobile permit money and club fundraising dollars have been spent over the years to upgrade infrastructure (bridges, culverts, damns), complete brushing projects, and renovate/improve out buildings on these GRCA managed properties. The local clubs have been researching potential re-routes around the GRCA managed property all summer in the event that a suitable agreement could not be reached. These plans will now start to be implemented and the volunteers are confident that, although GRCA lands cannot be used, trail connectivity will continue to the best extent possible. The clubs and districts are committed to continue discussions with the GRCA in an attempt partner with them again in the future.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

This was posted on  the Bridgeport Snowmobile Clubs FB page:

For Immediate Release
Snowmobile Club Volunteers Work on Re-Routes as Snowmobile Trails Not Allowed on GRCA Property for the 2021 Season:
For decades, six of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) member clubs have enjoyed a mutually beneficial partnership with the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA) - Arthur Snowblazers, Elmira Snowmobile Club, Fergus Elora Belwood Snowmobile Club, Hillsburgh Snow Roamers, Lake Conestoga Snowmobile Club, and the Orangeville Snowmobile Club. Through this partnership, club volunteers have built and maintained snowmobile trails on GRCA managed lands for the recreational enjoyment of riders, as well as for the economic benefit to their small local communities. Unfortunately, it now appears club volunteers will have to re-route their trails around the GRCA for the second season in a row due to the inability to obtain an appropriate land use agreement with the conservation authority. In July 2019, clubs became aware of clauses in GRCA’s land use agreement that could expose them to personal uninsured risk and began reaching out to the conservation authority to discuss changes to the annual agreement. After months of conversation, it was determined last November that an agreement could not be reached for the 2020 snowmobile season. Both sides decided that the partnership was important and agreed to continue to work towards a solution for the 2021 winter season. Many meetings took place over the summer between OFSC member clubs, district representatives and GRCA staff. Unfortunately, the meetings and discussions were unsuccessful at producing a new agreement. The OFSC, on behalf of their member clubs, carries Commercial General Liability insurance that will respond on behalf of its clubs, its volunteers, and its landowners in the event of any claim arising from activities that are usual to a snowmobile club. However, for a number of years the GRCA agreement has contained clauses that have been putting clubs and volunteers at personal uninsured risk. Specifically, their agreement required that the clubs also ensure the safety of the other user groups that GRCA invites to utilize the properties on a year-round basis, as well as indemnifying and holding harmless the GRCA for other liability that has nothing to do with the operation of a snowmobile trail. OFSC District 9 expressed that club volunteers were extremely disappointed with the most recent decision from the GRCA. OFSC District 9 expressed: “It’s heartbreaking that clubs and riders will not have access again for the 2021 snowmobile season. This is about more than just user fees and risk management programs. This is about the thousands of hours our dedicated volunteers have spent tending to GRCA managed properties over many years. It’s also about the many riders that will not be able to experience the winter beauty of these properties and the small local businesses that will suffer”. Its also worthy to note that well over $200,000 of snowmobile permit money and club fundraising dollars have been spent over the years to upgrade infrastructure (bridges, culverts, damns), complete brushing projects, and renovate/improve out buildings on these GRCA managed properties. The local clubs have been researching potential re-routes around the GRCA managed property all summer in the event that a suitable agreement could not be reached. These plans will now start to be implemented and the volunteers are confident that, although GRCA lands cannot be used, trail connectivity will continue to the best extent possible. The clubs and districts are committed to continue discussions with the GRCA in an attempt partner with them again in the future.

When is next snowmobile club meeting for St clements? 

• 3 months later...

Received a message Tonight that the mount forest trails will be closing.

Also in the message was said that a few land owners are fed up with people running on the closed trails and also running off the trails 

Not good optics for the sport 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

Received a message Tonight that the mount forest trails will be closing.

Also in the message was said that a few land owners are fed up with people running on the closed trails and also running off the trails 

Not good optics for the sport 

Not a surprise. The trails were pretty good and hats off to everyone that did the work. Thanks so much. I did ride the same loop twice. I didn't see much riding outside the stakes.  But no doubt  like always idiots have to trespass and hurt the sport

Went from near Waterloo to Goderich yesterday afternoon and although there were no open trials all the way up there, every trail crossing had been well travelled.

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Went from near Waterloo to Goderich yesterday afternoon and although there were no open trials all the way up there, every trail crossing had been well travelled.

Yeah pretty sad. Same every year except it seems to be getting worse and with more people at home this year, trespassing going to be allot more noticeable. 

I saw some pics from our crew. Fence torn down, sleds going through. Volunteers went that night and put up new fencing and bracing. We (sleddder money) put up those gates to try to control ATV's

This land owner has been with us for 30 plus years. A few years ago we decided to move the trail, still on his land, to get out of some water problems, make it more reliable.

His reply, yep whatever you need to do, just leave me the trees you have to cut so I can sell it as firewood.

Land owners like this are the back bone of our Southern trails.

There is an app, for years lol, real time on what is open. Gone are the old days when you just saw the groomer went through and it's open.

Stay the F off of closed trails.

The  goodwill between our club and our land owners has a limit!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

A post from another forum I’m on

I got home last night to find out a sledder that day had trespassed onto our property. He had trampled some small trees so he could go around the barricades that block the trail (posts and a huge log) so he could go play down the unexplored trail. That trail exits into our back yard. 
Apparently some sled damaging rocks under the snow will need to be put in

16 hours ago, ToSlow said:

I got home last night to find out a sledder that day had trespassed onto our property. He had trampled some small trees so he could go around the barricades that block the trail (posts and a huge log) so he could go play down the unexplored trail. That trail exits into our back yard. 

Some people have no respect. 

20 hours ago, ToSlow said:

I would NEVER say that in print/on-line :)

That is thoroughly disgusting . there has to be a way to catch these morons. Just a total lack of respect.

• Like 1

Saw tracks cutting over farm house front yards this morning 

clearly didn’t look like it was from someone who lived there 

I wish these guys would smarten up , these farmers are giving us permission to use their land ..... tearing across their lawn will change that quickly ! :(

• Sad 3

54 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Saw tracks cutting over farm house front yards this morning 

clearly didn’t look like it was from someone who lived there 

I wish these guys would smarten up , these farmers are giving us permission to use their land ..... tearing across their lawn will change that quickly ! :(

I don't know how we can make these people understand what they are doing and what the long term repercussions are for the sport.

7 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't know how we can make these people understand what they are doing and what the long term repercussions are for the sport.

Trail into Mitchell is gone. Farmer was out today with his loader tractor rutting tracks all up, where trail use to go. Everyone is still running it and they keep ripping out no trespass signs. No way into town now except running road. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Trail into Mitchell is gone. Farmer was out today with his loader tractor rutting tracks all up, where trail use to go. Everyone is still running it and they keep ripping out no trespass signs. No way into town now except running road. 

Swampers have the sd rd east of town stakeis and ditch bank groomed as far as I know to get into timmies and gas.  It's on the IATG.

3 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Too bad they didn't get a little shock. Idiots..

I just hope the club has funds to repair it and can keep the owner satisfied. If any livestock got out that would be a sure fire way to get it closed. However there did not appear to be any livestock prints around the area. I am shocked anyone lets us use the land they make a living off of. The disregard for private and lack of respect is rampant.

On 30/01/2021 at 8:19 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Enforcement, Enforcement, Enforcement!

Signs don't work, preaching to the choir doesn't work. Most people on these forums or who follow club pages. I would think people know by now to stay on trail and are abiding snowmobilers. 

The only way, and this is coming from my contacts from different police agencies is to report,report report!

Whether its a club, club volunteer or just a friendly snowmobiler witness, to off trail riding or trespassing, report it. 

The O.P.P and different police agencies need these reports (data) to build a case for more funding. 

We can all agree the trail patrol program being watered down, and the S.T.O.P program being discontinued is a blow to how we protect and enforce the trails. It's not coming back in the forseeable future. We are beating a dead horse on that matter.. So the only way at this time is to report, report, report!

I would hope that all people friendly to organized snowmobiling would take this approach, and in know way am I speaking on behalf of the OFSC.

I am speaking as a friend to organized snowmobiling...

Edited by Yukon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That dead horse you speak of should be replaced with a new horse . Reports get tossed into a box and put on a shelf . The snowmobile community needs to have a presence trail side and have some ability to levy punishment. Peer pressure from other snowmobilers goes along way I have personally witnessed this many times . OPP can't be everywhere , club members can target trouble areas . I will not be filing any  reports  but if l see someone being an idiot  I'm going to let him or her know . Last week while out doing trail work I ? two riders about permits both had them in their pockets after a brief conversation the permits magical became placed on the windshield  That's my approach some my not agree . not meant to offend anyone .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are more law abiding riders than those who break the rules/law. Enforcement is the key as you stated so very well Yukon. Maybe signs on the trails on who to report violations and illegal activity. I have no idea who I would contact. OFSC, local club, municipal police or provincial police. 

Jerry

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

There are more law abiding riders than those who break the rules/law. Enforcement is the key as you stated so very well Yukon. Maybe signs on the trails on who to report violations and illegal activity. I have no idea who I would contact. OFSC, local club, municipal police or provincial police. 

Jerry

Maybe that's it, better informational signage for the people who will help, not for those who run them over or ride off trail right beside them. 

Nobody has a definitive answer to the problem. 

The process of which I mentioned is direct from the O.P.P, we have a good presence for our club, but as always there can always be more enforcement. 

We also collect the incident report numbers we send in.