TRACKS ARE CLOSING TRAILS

Lep

On 12/21/2019 at 10:49 AM, manotickmike said:

A little of this would go a long way. 

I was really surprised at the attention I got when I took matters into my own hands recently.

It quickly escalated from a polite response to a 911 call, to 3 cars, and a follow up by the staff sergeant. 

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Mike you're such a rebel.

Upping the fines will certainly prevent re-offenders but I cringe at the thought of the newb idiot who simply doesn't know open from closed and other assorted relatively innocent ignorant types as mentioned in post 2 there. The times I have seen things like this happen was usually late at night and usually by types who were going to ride free or die trying if you catch my drift. I worry about that a bit too. Makes me think of a few fellas I rode with years ago, one of em offed himself in the end he didnt care about nuthin and it wasn't just sleds he thrashed around.

I suppose this is the main concern is the old saying about a few bad apples which makes me wonder how to improve PR in the face of these unfortunate events? Theres got to be some way of communicating a message to the landowners as well as somehow communicating to the wing nuts who are doing this. Heck its a dang tricky situation and so hard on the clubs man I feel for you guys who have to re route trails and sometimes close em. Sad and avoidable.

• Like 2

Pulled trail today that had the ok 3wks ago....now doing reroute in morning.....going to be some road  running for this season....hopefully we can get the issue worked out for next yr.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, Lep said:

Pulled trail today that had the ok 3wks ago....now doing reroute in morning.....going to be some road  running for this season....hopefully we can get the issue worked out for next yr.

Can you give any insight into what happened here? If it is happening with hardly any snow and no open trails, can only imagine what is going to happen when we get enough snow. 

Posted today by Bonfield SC

Just received a message from a justifiably angry land owner. 

"Last night an individual took it upon themselves to trespass on my property using the trail and was way off the trail and in my yard disturbing my horses.  This is how clubs loose there private land access. Both my neighbor and my self will not tolerate this if this happens again."

Some sledders were trespassing on a trail that is un-available - CLOSED! . As well they were stupid enough to go in his yard and frighten his horses. This behavior is how we lose trails and everyone will be traveling on roads. Its embarrassing and disturbing to we volunteers. How do we fix stupid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

"Last night an individual took it upon themselves to trespass on my property using the trail and was way off the trail and in my yard disturbing my horses.  This is how clubs loose there private land access. Both my neighbor and my self will not tolerate this if this happens again."

Some sledders were trespassing on a trail that is un-available - CLOSED! . As well they were stupid enough to go in his yard and frighten his horses. This behavior is how we lose trails and everyone will be traveling on roads. Its embarrassing and disturbing to we volunteers. How do we fix stupid.

Unbelievable.  The sports being slowly choked by sledders like this.  To the last sentence,  unfortunately,  there is no cure for stupid...:banghead:..

Worst part is its other snowmobilers that keep doing it ,its not atvs or 4wd trucks that are closing the trails for everyone,no its fellow sledders,hard to believe. They just dont get it .

19 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

You want to bet the violator had been drinking as well. Hold my drink and watch this stupidity.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You want to bet the violator had been drinking as well. Hold my drink and watch this stupidity.

I used to say it was drunks, then I thought maybe it was druggies, now? I say its mental issues. Add any mind altering products to that mix and Christmas brings the best out in some of these unwell in the head types and well, heres the result. Most likely that is, we can only guess and beg understanding of the land owners in these unfortunate situations.

This being an idiotic act is a fact however

1 hour ago, crispy said:

I used to say it was drunks, then I thought maybe it was druggies, now? I say its mental issues. Add any mind altering products to that mix and Christmas brings the best out in some of these unwell in the head types and well, heres the result. Most likely that is, we can only guess and beg understanding of the land owners in these unfortunate situations.

This being an idiotic act is a fact however

I welcome you option on matters but saying the the trespasser has mental issues I take great offence to.

I in the past have had my fair share of mental issues, which i have gotten professional help for.

Labeling all idiots with mental issues is so wrong on all fronts.

Please keep comments like to out of the forums unless you have absolute proof of your statement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

20 hours ago, soupkids said:

I welcome you option on matters but saying the the trespasser has mental issues I take great offence to.

I in the past have had my fair share of mental issues, which i have gotten professional help for.

Labeling all idiots with mental issues is so wrong on all fronts.

Please keep comments like to out of the forums unless you have absolute proof of your statement.

Mental state is a flux for all of us. I meant no offense to you or anyone else by that statement. My efforts are to help get some understanding of why some of these tracks all over private property issues are happening. Adjectives are a tricky thing and here it seems mine have offended you, so I am sorry that happened. That said if we do not look at causes for these property owner abused issues? We cannot understand them and cannot work towards prevention. Mental health issues can make people do things that are not well received to others and tracks on private property is part of that and anyone who does this type of thing on purpose? Is having mental issues, period or they wouldnt do it. Granted this doesnt mean they are depressed or anxiety ridden or whatever label suits ya I dont place that upon these people, you, or anyone for that matter. Merely pointing the attention to the problem is mental issues and thats where this is won or lost.

My aim is for better respect and relations across the board through understanding each other.

Edited by crispy

I am guessing that in the vast majority of cases it is local people doing the trespassing very similar to those freeloaders that seem to come out at night when the trails are open.  Unfortunately there seems to be very little that can be done to stop this carelessness/vandalism even if they were identified.  

I remember that our experienced OPP Officer said that to lay a charge we (Trail Patrol) needed to be able to identify the offender in court and that required them to remove their helmet which is not likely to happen.

Old time Vigilante Justice certainly had merits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

I am guessing that in the vast majority of cases it is local people doing the trespassing very similar to those freeloaders that seem to come out at night when the trails are open.  Unfortunately there seems to be very little that can be done to stop this carelessness/vandalism even if they were identified.  

I remember that our experienced OPP Officer said that to lay a charge we (Trail Patrol) needed to be able to identify the offender in court and that required them to remove their helmet which is not likely to happen.

Ahmen to your last sentence. Sometimes the laws that are there to protect,  do more harm then good..

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Brian, there is a section of the MSVA (excerpt below) that allows charges to be laid against the registered owner of the machine unless the machine was being used without consent. Could it be that your experienced OPP officer simply did not want to bother chasing the matter. 

24. The owner of a motorized snow vehicle may be charged with and convicted of an offence under this Act or the regulations or any municipal by-law regulating, governing or prohibiting the operation of motorized snow vehicles, for which the driver of the motorized snow vehicle is subject to be charged unless, at the time of the offence, the motorized snow vehicle was in the possession of a person other than the owner without the owner’s consent and on conviction the owner is liable to the penalty prescribed for the offence. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 24.

• Thanks 1

We have been told by a local OPP, all we need to do is take a pic of the val tag and he will have them charged. This was on the matter of pipes and no permit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GTC said:

We have been told by a local OPP, all we need to do is take a pic of the val tag and he will have them charged. This was on the matter of pipes and no permit.

On the bold, that's easier said than done sometimes. They aren't as likely to stop long enough to get a picture. I tried before, the guy pins it and over the hill he goes almost head-on into the second groomer chugging up the icy hill. Was a close one, just not close enough so I could get another chance to take that picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GTC said:

That is good news if charges stick. Maybe trail system could use high tech cameras in future to catch some of free loaders then. Not sure if that is realistic option since some people will smash them no doubt. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That is good news if charges stick. Maybe trail system could use high tech cameras in future to catch some of free loaders then. Not sure if that is realistic option since some people will smash them no doubt. 

The potential problem is they could have a trail pass on the sled just not visible to the angle of the camera. With a person as a witness and picture of the sled plate number it would be different when they can say there definitely wasn't a permit on the sled.

47 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The potential problem is they could have a trail pass on the sled just not visible to the angle of the camera. With a person as a witness and picture of the sled plate number it would be different when they can say there definitely wasn't a permit on the sled.

That is true. Suppose to be dead centre on windshield though, if you follow directions on permit. Cameras not feasible anyways no resources for this and revenue stream might never recover costs of technology anyways. 

31 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Suppose to be dead centre on windshield though, if you follow directions on permit.

You better read the instructions on the back of the permit again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Does this mean the blooper reel from my dash cam will convict all of the scofflaws on my local roads? No?

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, GTC said:

Who has successfully used this method to have the OPP lay charges?  Has anyone had to go to Court to present the evidence to support charge?

• Like 1

It’s bad enough our climate is changing for the worse to us sledders but these trespassers just make things worse for all. 
unfortunately it’s unlikely these clowns are truly aware of the damage they are doing to the sports public perception and future stability. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Who has successfully used this method to have the OPP lay charges?  Has anyone had to go to Court to present the evidence to support charge?

Generally speaking the OPP/Local police will lay the charge with you making a sworn statement to them regarding the trespass.

You may not have to go to court.

As far as how many times has it been done, lots up here.