Ice Conditions, South Central Lakes

tricky

I am not pushing to get out sledding on half frozen lakes, but I am wondering from here in the sunny south, if smaller lakes are starting to solidly freeze up? My particular concern is Wollaston lake at Coe Hill, and whether or not we might be able to skate on the smaller bays buy Christmas or New Years. Most years we could, but maybe I am going back waaaay too far.

Edited by tricky
spelling

2 went in the other day in Haliburton county from what I understand. 

3 weeks at least I will bet...

Saw the Lester boys on Youtube out on their lake in Haliburton-they said 8"!

Just now, Muskoka1 said:

Saw the Lester boys on Youtube out on their lake in Haliburton-they said 8"!

It's a small lake...

47 minutes ago, tricky said:

I am not pushing to get out sledding on half frozen lakes, but I am wondering from here in the sunny south, if smaller lakes are starting to solidly freeze up? My particular concern is Wollaston lake at Coe Hill, and whether or not we might be able to skate on the smaller bays buy Christmas or New Years. Most years we could, but maybe I am going back waaaay too far.

A couple of weeks ago Chandos was starting to freeze over @ Trotters Beach. I was there mid-week & the ice was gone.

19 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It's a small lake...

Probably shallow too

• Like 1

BASS LAKE has about 6 to 10 inches of ice on it and about 8 inches of snow

Only way to know is to go cut a hole and check yourself.  My bet is for a little bay on Wollastin the answer would be yes.  That said don't know the specific location so can't say for sure.  Like one person said the big part of Chandos is wide open.  Good chance our little bay on Chandos will be safe with 6" - 8" by new years.  I'd say 65% of the time we do have good ice in our bay by x-mas.  It frooze over about 2 weeks ago and there is more 20 below coming.  The big part of the lake will still be the 2nd week of January at best if the cold sticks around.  Wollastin is probably a similar story.  Pack your skates, an axe and a tape measure and find out when you get there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, signfan said:

Only way to know is to go cut a hole and check yourself............ .  Pack your skates, an axe and a tape measure and find out when you get there.

Thanks signfan and everyone else offering information. I will be doing exactly as you advise. I also have a couple of half dead old poplar trees leaning out over the beach, and I hope to have enough ice that I can fell them onto the ice without breaking it open. The whole idea of leaving the job until winter is to keep bark debris out of the lake.

If I hear of sledding on the area lakes, I know I will be okay on our quiet, shallow bay. Please keep the updates coming.

Just on the news, a 57 year old man drowned in Bushwolf Lake near Sir Sam's Inn. Apparently he was in a pickup plowing the ice.

37 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Just on the news, a 57 year old man drowned in Bushwolf Lake near Sir Sam's Inn. Apparently he was in a pickup plowing the ice.

Sad that this sort of thing continues to happen year after year. May he RIP.

As usual ice is varying depending on where you go.... cold temps this week should help. Victoria Harbour (Georgian Bay) had 5 inches of ice 55 ft. from shore.

Lake Vernon in Peacock bay.cut Two holes.1st closer to shore about 4 inches then 60 feet out closer to 6 inches

The view from Trotters Beach on Chandos this afternoon

Oops. Busy w/ a couple of emails @ the same time.20191218_134700.thumb.jpg.5a9ef2efba78cb2463468181de0abf83.jpg

20191218_134901.thumb.jpg.e57b1e6005a9e97a495e7188cac73278.jpg

I figured that it was snowing so hard, it was all white :lmao:

• Like 1

I was in Haliburton a few days ago and there was a person on the ice with an ATV ice fishing. He was fairly close to shore out from the gas station (I think XTR). Still fairly large open area around the dam and at the mouth of the river closest to town.

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

Oops. Busy w/ a couple of emails @ the same time.20191218_134700.thumb.jpg.5a9ef2efba78cb2463468181de0abf83.jpg

20191218_134901.thumb.jpg.e57b1e6005a9e97a495e7188cac73278.jpg

Still lots of open water there.  No real surprise.  It's typically 3rd week of January before it's safe.  It's a big and deep body of water.  30 below tonight might freeze it over though.  Once that occurs the depth of the ice will grow in short order if it stays cold

• Like 1

2 hours ago, signfan said:

Still lots of open water there.  No real surprise.  It's typically 3rd week of January before it's safe.  It's a big and deep body of water.  30 below tonight might freeze it over though.  Once that occurs the depth of the ice will grow in short order if it stays cold

Definitely. The open water does show up as well in the photos. The bay there isn't completely frozen over to the 'points'.

I was surprised to see Kennisis Lake frozen over today. It is usually later if I remember correctly