CLUB INVOLVEMENT.

Lep

Thinking out loud...….how many peeps are currently involved with a club...….I mean involved from pounding stakes to getting the ribbon flat.....I don't mean just buying a permit from a club.....just wondering.....thinking of what we maybe up against a few yrs down the road.....yes I am currently involved 6 mths plus out of the yr.

• Thanks 3

Looked after mapboard advertising and installed 2 new mapboards, verify & correct some road crossing signage the past couple of weeks . Fabbed & installed a 'beaver grate' on a culvert this week.

• Thanks 2

I have been involved for about 15 yrs, the last 13 as secretary / treasurer.

• Thanks 3

Last 4 or 5 years I've been doing grunt work at this time of year in brushing and clearing downed trees from the Northern part of the D108A for the Hornepayne club. As of this year I'll be taking care of signage for the same stretch of trail. Risk Management training passed a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Been involved with club since 09, positions from director to president, back  to volunteer , now at provincial level but still involved with club as volunteer groomer operator

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Been doing trail work with our club for 25 years or so, only sat on the club board of directors for 1 year way back in '91. 

Have been grooming the last 7 or 8 years, and perform maintenance and repair on said groomer. Need to find a new hobby, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Been staking/brushing local trail 31 for years-approx. 8 k.-getting a bit tiring @ 66!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Attended club meetings with Du u wanna for a couple of years before moving to Gravenhurst and joining Snowcrest Riders as Secretary then this year took on role as Club President, We have a great team put together for this year. Like most clubs I think there is always the need for more volunteers to help out with the on the ground work involved in getting the trails ready to be opened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been involved with clubs since 1990. A friend got me to attend my first monthly meeting and I ended up as a director before the night was over.  Held many different positions over the following 22 years in the club as well as a 12-year term as treasurer in our central grooming association. Family health issues required me to drop back to taking care of a section of trail in 2013 which I still enjoy doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Been volunteering with the Port Perry club for last three years. Been brushing trails. Spent two days replacing small bridge. Took chainsaw safety course. Retiring next week, so will be able to help more in future years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been involved for over 20 years, first Moonbeam and now Kap. Have done everything EXCEPT drive the groomer. Doing trail work and signage with my hubbie was my favourite activity until we started Driver Training 3 years ago. 

Sometimes it can be hard to find the right fit with respect to the club and or "position", but eventually you find your niche. Not everyone is cut out to sit on the board, or be the club secretary, and that's okay.

Edited by Claire Voyant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Over 10 years with my club, VP , ORS, grooming, clearing, ect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been involved for close to 15yrs. 

Active with a club for 13 of those.

Trail Patrol 

Groomer Op

Trail coordinator 

Secretary/treasurer

Vice President

Sat on OFSC Via commitee, presently helping out at the Provincial Level...

I have met so many friends over the years in the snowmobile world, I can't step away from it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Forgot to mention I was on the club executive back in the late 80s into the 90s. My present stint started about 4 or 5 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It would be nice to be able to add unlimited "Thanks" reactions on this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Currently Secretary / Treasurer and Trail Patrol over the last almost 15 years. The most enjoyable part has been doing Trail Patrol. Come across someone in need of help and be able to actually help out. Those low on gas lead them to the nearest fuel just in case they do run out. Those that are broken down, loan them a tool to get going, boost their dead battery or in some cases tow them back to a safe pick up point or their trailer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well what a good thread as I just came up from the basement for lunch  Have been down there in the Snowmobile club "office" all morning tossing out old files not needed.  Have a ton of papers from  Bridgeport Cub, Golden Triangle, and D5.  Started with Bridgeport 1985 as Secretary and now right back at it as Secretary Treasurer.  Was Prez for 9 years.    GTSA on the board, 2005, and Prez the last three years of it's existence. Yup lots of financials prepared by PLC,   you always had everything done right !!!    Trail prep, Trail patrol, Grooming on and on ....  been alot of fun  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Current VP of our club.  Got into snowmobiling 9 or 10 years ago.  Started with the club about 5 years ago.

Really enjoy gettin out and pounding stakes with my kids. Did some of that this week.  Just the right amount of frost to carry the tractor and 4 wheeler across the field, and still be able to easily enough put stakes in.  Have helped fix a bridge, and warm up shacks over the last number of years as well.  Cooked numerous pounds of wings over the time frame as well

Have not yet run a groomer, maybe someday when I retire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I'm not allowed to add more likes or thanks, I'll just say THANKS to all those who volunteer time, equipment, and effort. Many wouldn't believe that volunteers do all this AND purchase a permit, or more than one.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30+ years for me.

You name it, I've done it.

Even help with the decking on the FR bridge when it was built.

• Like 3

Almost 30 years in, started out grooming brushing etc. Been pres, currently vice pres and sign co-ordinator. Co-ordinate one of our 4 machines and still groom once or twice a week. My wife is treasure for the club. If it wasn't for all us hard working volunteers we would not have the trail network here in Ontario. Thanks and cheers to all, good thread!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lep said:

Thinking out loud...….how many peeps are currently involved with a club...….I mean involved from pounding stakes to getting the ribbon flat.....I don't mean just buying a permit from a club.....just wondering.....thinking of what we maybe up against a few yrs down the road.....yes I am currently involved 6 mths plus out of the yr.

This will be 12 years for me at my club and there is not a job I have not done: director, treasurer, signage, trail work, TP, Groomer operator, fund raiser, permit coordinator (when we handled permits) Have been involved at the district level for 5 years as a board member and committee member, now District Treasurer.. last 2 years am sitting on a provincial committee.. my involvement runs 12 months a year..

i would recommend 2 things. Be aware of “the old boys club” in your club organization.  Nothing scares a new volunteer away quicker than feeling not welcome/wanted even if it is unintentional. The othe thing I would recommend to any volunteer is to get involved at your district level or even the provincial level.  It brings a whole new perspective to organized snowmobiling and you quickly realize that the world is bigger than just your club.

Edited by Big Pete
  • Like 3

I as well,  have run out Thank you's and Likes. Thanks to Lep for a wonderful thread idea! 

I just totaled up the years of service listed on this thread to this point. The total is  307 YEARS!!!!!  I know the real total is more than that since some like Lep have not listed their years of service to clubs, associations and the OFSC. It also doesn't take into account being involved in more than 1 club or association during the same year.

That is a pretty amazing and impressive total for 19 people. Thanks to all of you who have helped and continue to help to make our sport better in Ontario.

It's no wonder that there is so much great snowmobiling information available on OC!

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 4

V-2    You could add to your list - hosting the all inspiring garage meetings  which were very informative and fun.:icon_clapclap:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crow said:

As I'm not allowed to add more likes or thanks, I'll just say THANKS to all those who volunteer time, equipment, and effort. Many wouldn't believe that volunteers do all this AND purchase a permit, or more than one.

Purchase a permit???? Doesn't the club give you a free permit, sled to ride and keep it fueled for you? Sorry couldn't resist. I have had those questions asked when doing trail patrol more than once. The first time I was asked if that was the sled the OFSC gives me to do trail patrol on I shook my head in disbelief. Surprising the misconceptions so many people have. I have also been asked how much per hour I get.

Seriously though... thanks to all of the thousands of volunteers. Without you all we wouldn't have the system we enjoy,

• Like 2

• revrnd unpinned this topic