CLUB INVOLVEMENT.

Lep

35 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That is for sure. I don’t know circumstances besides he was sent out by himself at night. President is still a volunteer position though. Tragic what happened no Doubt. 

No the president has retired from the position He wasn't 'sent" out he was the. coordinator and had years of experience.Unfortunate circumstances.-35 that night didn't help.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Crow said:

Reality of life now. It's always someone else's fault.

I cant imagine the regs I'm in contravention of out in my shop when I'm working away.

Is it any wonder long term volunteers who aren't familiar w/ gov't looking over your back, finally say 'Screw it, I'm going ice fishing...'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I cant imagine the regs I'm in contravention of out in my shop when I'm working away.

Is it any wonder long term volunteers who aren't familiar w/ gov't looking over your back, finally say 'Screw it, I'm going ice fishing...'

Long term is a key, A lot of the volunteers were born before most of the present bureaucracy was out of diapers.

You got trained in a safety and controlled environment. I think you are   aware of the basic  health and  safety aspects of what you do.Did you have a H&S meeting with yourself before you went to the shop?Did you put pylons on your driveway  before pulling out on 28,you know you are not allowed to turn left,you must go to designated turn around and come back. Where is the air recovery system for when your welding? Do you have welding gases on site? where is your TSSA cert for that.Burn those hats and anything that says your a business.I hope your shop does n' have a washroom Then you involve the.your local health dept.

Keep it low key and try not to advertise Once one of the enforcer of the regs get a hold of you ,you are in for it.It will not matter if you tell all of them it's just a hobby.          Just my loonys worth.

Oh and thank you for the work U  do on the trails over your way--cheers

• Like 2

You forgot the workplace harassment policy...

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

if you are harassing your self that's your business.

No microwave in the shop so no need for a SOP to be taped on the side outlining the proper procedure for cleaning it (saw that at work).

I guess what I'm saying is that rules & regulations seem to have taken precedence over common sense. Mind you there are people that could hurt themselves writing a note w/ a pencil.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, gtserider said:

No the president has retired from the position He wasn't 'sent" out he was the. coordinator and had years of experience.Unfortunate circumstances.-35 that night didn't help.

If I recall correctly the groomer got partially sunk and the operator left the groomer without taking his coat with him.

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

No microwave in the shop so no need for a SOP to be taped on the side outlining the proper procedure for cleaning it (saw that at work).

I guess what I'm saying is that rules & regulations seem to have taken precedence over common sense. Mind you there are people that could hurt themselves writing a note w/ a pencil.

We were getting bombarded with "how to" documentation to the point it was getting ridiculous. As a joke I sent out a document regarding safe use, transportation and storage of pens and pencils. Management would be taking control of all pens and pencils until a safe use course had been completed by each individual. In a day or two pocket protectors will be available in the supply room. When turning in your pens and pencils be sure to be very careful when walking to make sure you don't fall and incur any puncture wounds. I thought I had worded it to very clearly be a joke.

The sad part was that a large number of people thought it was real which was a reflection on how numb they were to all these safety documents.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

There is a place for things like this to be discussed at length, On a public forum for everyone to read is not one of those places. It only takes the wrong person to read and copya post. And yes it is admissible in court. 

Flame me for saying it if you like, but I have seen what results come of it...

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, bbakernbay said:

Yes, in the Parry Sound Area, I believe the Club President had to pay a substantial fine under the OHSA after one of their Groomer Operators died of exposure after groomer sank.

Wow thats sad all around:(

On 12/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, revrnd said:

Not to worry Rev, you should be okay in your home shop running your shop vac and pencil sharpener. If you were located in China you wouldn’t have to worry as workplace safety is nonexistent there.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, snapper said:

If you were located in China you wouldn’t have to worry as workplace safety is nonexistent there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_YnaHNcISw

That is SOOOO wrong!

Just dump any oil out behind the shop too...

1 hour ago, snapper said:

Not to worry Rev, you should be okay in your home shop running your shop vac and pencil sharpener. If you were located in China you wouldn’t have to worry as workplace safety is nonexistent there.

A very large number of their operations are very high tech and very safe. So much of their infrastructure is so new compared to a lot of the legacy stuff we have here.

For the Faceplant folks:

Wish them good luck with finding help.

We had posted the same on our club sites. Still the same group that came out this weekend. 

Got the old responses on FB. 

"I checked the volunteer box when I bought my pass, but nobody ever calls"

And " if I wasn't working I'd be there for sure" 

Our crew of 10 are all family members of Uncles/Aunts/Cousins and my own family, looking after 120 kms of trail.

When the older generation finally give up the volunteering, the system as we know it will change. 

The ones getting the trails ready province wide year after year are getting older and very tired. The younger ones can't keep up with these people.....even if they tried. 

But hey, they built the trails over 40 years ago, and have a lot to be proud of and probably don't want to see it die off, but the future looks bleak.

Just got back into snowmobiling, moved down to Lennox and Addington area, looking to get involved with the club, so if there any L&A Ridgerunners on here pls let me know how to do so, 

many thanks 

40 minutes ago, Dewworm said:

Just got back into snowmobiling, moved down to Lennox and Addington area, looking to get involved with the club, so if there any L&A Ridgerunners on here pls let me know how to do so, 

many thanks 

Welcome back to the sport!

Contact Greg Collins, Volunteer Coordinator: laridgerunnersvolunteers@gmail.com 

http://laridgerunners.ca/

2 hours ago, Dewworm said:

many thanks 

Their website is : http://www.laridgerunners.ca/

They have a FB page which is updated regularly as well if you're into that. You can search for it.

Good bunch of guys. Just started volunteering with them this season as well.

Edited by HarleyDodge
  • Like 1

Our club is having its 50th anniversary this year. I still attend the odd meetings but nearly 200km round trip on a week night is starting to get long. We gave quite few new members and they have clashed with long time members last couple years so it's awkward at meetings with people storming out a couple times. I helped with the clubs FB page the past 4yrs, and have helped painting signs and brushing trails. I am into more Backcountry riding these days as beside early season brushing i have not ridden our trails in 3-4yrs. If i lived closer i might do more. Been 8 yrs involved here and 3-4 yrs back home before i moved. 

• Like 1

• revrnd unpinned this topic