CLUB INVOLVEMENT.

Lep

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Purchase a permit???? Doesn't the club give you a free permit, sled to ride and keep it fueled for you? Sorry couldn't resist. I have had those questions asked when doing trail patrol more than once. The first time I was asked if that was the sled the OFSC gives me to do trail patrol on I shook my head in disbelief. Surprising the misconceptions so many people have. I have also been asked how much per hour I get.

Seriously though... thanks to all of the thousands of volunteers. Without you all we wouldn't have the system we enjoy,

Everyone should know by now the OFSC sponsored snowmobile fleet are Ski Doos.

You ride a Cat!

Edited by Yukon Cornelious
  • Haha 2

On 12/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, soupkids said:

30+ years for me.

You name it, I've done it.

Even help with the decking on the FR bridge when it was built.

well they will need your help again.Between the by yearly inspections  $13,000 grand and the engineers wanting some paint work done.Oh and you can't drop on single drop of paint in the French.The suggestion was to crane them out and have them painted offsite,like in the Soo.

8 minutes ago, gtserider said:

well they will need your help again.Between the by yearly inspections  $13,000 grand and the engineers wanting some paint work done.Oh and you can't drop on single drop of paint in the French.The suggestion was to crane them out and have them painted offsite,like in the Soo.

:icon_gunhead:

8 hours ago, gtserider said:

I know,but that what I was told today,crap they don't even paint new bridges today One of the first one was out Cortice way,let it corrode to a certain point,then it stops,no paint to hold the moisture in is the theory I guess.

Eagle Bridge      Kitchener    Pre rusted  

off topic

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

My dad was heavily involved and I helped cut/brush trails with him every weekend in the fall as a kid.

I have been brushing/packing/and grooming the same trails for the last 5 years since I moved back home.

It's a thankless job, and with all the liabilities associated it is hard to find good people who are willing to take on executive positions (myself included).

• Like 1

I've only been a volunteer for 15 years. Started out doing newsletters. Progressed to club treasurer. Became Treasurer of the grooming association, then President. When I retired and moved north I had a couple of seasons where I was treasurer of 2 clubs, President of one District, and Treasurer of another. Settled down now, only have local District Board and Provincial roles.

As an organization we need volunteers of all stripes. Some are boots on the ground, others more into administration. Either way it's a big commitment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know the whole liability issue is a hot topic right now. Whether it’s insurance liability on trails or liability as a club/district director or officer, it’s all related. 

just out of curiosity has there ever been an instance were someone has been held personally liable for fines/settlements as a result of their acting in their capacity for a club or district?  

Edited by Big Pete

9 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

I know the whole liability issue is a hot topic right now. Whether it’s insurance liability on trails or liability as a club/district director or officer, it’s all related. 

just out of curiosity has there ever been an instance were someone has been held personally liable for fines/settlements as a result of their acting in their capacity for a club or district?  

Not sure about Snowmobile clubs, but another hobby I am in, it did happen and the executive members of the club had to pay $1,100.00 each + what the club covered for someone who tried to sue. (9k? in that range cost to the club) 

We now have what is called "directors and officers" insurance, i think it is an extra $125.00/yr for that coverage to protect club executives. 

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

A member of the board in D10 was charged with an offense under the OHSA in 2007,08? Yes it was personal.

10 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Just saying those bridges are made here

Sorry V2, I was referring to my post.

17 hours ago, Jason T said:

Not sure about Snowmobile clubs, but another hobby I am in, it did happen and the executive members of the club had to pay $1,100.00 each + what the club covered for someone who tried to sue. (9k? in that range cost to the club) 

We now have what is called "directors and officers" insurance, i think it is an extra $125.00/yr for that coverage to protect club executives. 

Can I PM you about the insurance?

Say you live in the deep, snowless, southern Ontario and just belong to any club when you signed up for your permit, and wanted to volunteer with a different club....is that possible.

2 minutes ago, ktmkirby said:

Say you live in the deep, snowless, southern Ontario and just belong to any club when you signed up for your permit, and wanted to volunteer with a different club....is that possible.

Yes, that is OK even in the shallow, snowless, southern Ontario LOL. When you put any club name on a permit order, it doesn't necessarily make you a member of said club. I believe most clubs have yearly membership dues for their members.  As far as volunteering goes, I have been a member of one club for many years. The trail through our property used to be a different clubs' trail but I volunteered to do the work on that trail for a number of years. Most clubs would welcome your volunteer time.

• Like 1

If you have time, a sledge hammer, or post pounder, any club will welcome you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ktmkirby said:

Three clubs in my area intersect. I help out w/ 2 of them. I'm on the executive of 1 of them.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 4:35 PM, Big Pete said:

Yes, in the Parry Sound Area, I believe the Club President had to pay a substantial fine under the OHSA after one of their Groomer Operators died of exposure after groomer sank.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:51 AM, ktmkirby said:

You can volunteer anywhere you want 

48 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Wow that is abit harsh. 

The new reality of the work place.

• revrnd unpinned this topic