Superior Snow Challenge

signfan

I love small towns.

As a life-long Northerner, I can relate to the boom-bust-boom cycles these communities go through and am glad the hear the area is on the upward momentum again.

I did some technology presentations at the Marathon and Manitouwadge high schools years ago and was amazed to see the school parking lots filled with sleds. The students were very polite and respectful, a real joy to see.

As for housing, the whole Northern Ontario is on Real Estate fire. 4 years ago, I. Sold a house in Elliot Lake for $100,000, that same house this year would be selling for $175,000. At the time, there were 150 houses on the market, This year, Elliot Lake had on average 25 homes for sale at any given time. More folks are moving up from Southern Ontario. Will they make it as far as Marathon / Manitouwadge? I hope so.

Glad to hear Manitouwadge will be connected again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Starlink is coming soon.

I saw today that the Starlink beta testing fee for the US was going to be $99/month usd and $500 usd for equipment, no word on Canada that I could find. If you convert that to cdn $ that is more then the $110/month I pay to bell for 50 GB LTE based rural internet. The only thing I see good about it so far is that does get you internet in area's that cell phones don't work and it may make existing rural internet become more competitive 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

I love small towns.

As a life-long Northerner, I can relate to the boom-bust-boom cycles these communities go through and am glad the hear the area is on the upward momentum again.

I did some technology presentations at the Marathon and Manitouwadge high schools years ago and was amazed to see the school parking lots filled with sleds. The students were very polite and respectful, a real joy to see.

As for housing, the whole Northern Ontario is on Real Estate fire. 4 years ago, I. Sold a house in Elliot Lake for $100,000, that same house this year would be selling for $175,000. At the time, there were 150 houses on the market, This year, Elliot Lake had on average 25 homes for sale at any given time. More folks are moving up from Southern Ontario. Will they make it as far as Marathon / Manitouwadge? I hope so.

Glad to hear Manitouwadge will be connected again. 

It ridiculous here in south. I sold my house in town for over double what I paid for it, in 2004. Went up another 7 percent this year. I sold it last year so had it for 15 years.  Farm land same way. Some are getting 30,000 an acre on my road now. Bust sooner or later I think. Incomes aren’t increasing just low interest rates are fueling current boom. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Muskoka Bill said:

I saw today that the Starlink beta testing fee for the US was going to be $99/month usd and $500 usd for equipment, no word on Canada that I could find. If you convert that to cdn $ that is more then the $110/month I pay to bell for 50 GB LTE based rural internet. The only thing I see good about it so far is that does get you internet in area's that cell phones don't work and it may make existing rural internet become more competitive 

Yeah read that too.  Little tough to take as a homeowner.  If you're running a business and it's unlimited it's a no brainer if the speeds are what they are claiming.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out.  If nothing else it should wake the other players up.

Edited by signfan

SDB (or whoever else):

From a post that I read on the Wawa skidoo club facebook page - it sounds as if they are simply adding a second line next to the current hydro line, not replacing?

Starting at Anjigami and heading NW.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

They updated the Anjigami facility in 2003, and it must be 6-8 times as large as it was before. 

I wonder what the porpoise for this is?

They haven't built any new dams in 50 years have they?

If they aren't running a new line up from down south (and - maybe that is phase II of the project, not yet scheduled?) then I would have to wonder where the extra hydro would be coming from to justify the expansion?

Unless of course it is just a re-stringing of the old and not a second line?

2 minutes ago, Ox said:

SDB (or whoever else):

From a post that I read on the Wawa skidoo club facebook page - it sounds as if they are simply adding a second line next to the current hydro line, not replacing?

Starting at Anjigami and heading NW.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

They updated the Anjigami facility in 2003, and it must be 6-8 times as large as it was before. 

I wonder what the porpoise for this is?

They haven't built any new dams in 50 years have they?

If they aren't running a new line up from down south (and - maybe that is phase II of the project, not yet scheduled?) then I would have to wonder where the extra hydro would be coming from to justify the expansion?

Unless of course it is just a re-stringing of the old and not a second line?

There is a new line being constructed between Thunder Bay and Wawa called the East-West tie.  As far as I understand it, we have a surplus of power in the North-west,  and there's no way to get it over to the more populous regions to the east.  

• Like 1

I have heard "new line" many times, but am still asking if this is a re-string, or a whole additional line.

I am getting the pigture that it must be a second line, but just trying to be clear.

Edited by Ox

Whole new line.  They are running it adjacent to the existing line, as much as possible, except around Pukwasa Park, where its on a brand new right of way.

Edited by Bucking Pig
  • Like 1

So - are they going out to the hwy to git around the park then?

If they don't go through the park, then it might be useable for skidoo trail in the future?

Even without the "park" consideration, I wonder if they might'a went that way anyhow - as that is big territory back in the park!

There's a reason that the hwy is where it is.

I'm not an expert by any means, but they wanted to go through the park, adjacent to the existing line, but the parks folks wouldn't allow it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

There is a new line being constructed between Thunder Bay and Wawa called the East-West tie.  As far as I understand it, we have a surplus of power in the North-west,  and there's no way to get it over to the more populous regions to the east.  

You're correct in where it's being built.  The rationale for it though is to get more power into North Western Ontario to allow more growth in North Western Ontario.  The area is running short due to new mines being constructed.  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that the series of dams around Wawa will now be able to feed power west.

plus all the new windmills going in. 

Ski

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, T-D.

Looked online for Manitouwadge location and this was on the Google maps home page. Great to see that they embrace snowmobiling. 

It'll be a blast up there. Thanks for posting.

Thanks to all that worked on this trail system. 

ManOnt.jpg

3 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Thanks for the update, T-D.

Looked online for Manitouwadge location and saw my team yellow nightmare, LOL - inflatable skidoos have that effect on me.

It'll be a blast up there. Thanks for posting.

CdnVandweller Manitouwadge3.JPG

Fingers crossed we are able to get there this season..

one at a time, see if it is viable first. Ski

you need to get the locals on board, then you can expand to the tourists, then add loop options. going full bore will only get us back to where it all started, too big too fast, not enough funding or volunteer, or operator help... then burn out happens. Ski 

41 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Obviously some locals are on board,  whos doing the volunteer work?.  I would like to congratulate the club and Obviously LOCAL volunteers who are getting this done. Kudos to you guys. Looking forward to giving it a go. :right_on:

Well said. I am excited about trails coming back too. Maybe with some help in future connection to north can be made, That will make an awesome loop, once again. 

I wonder what the "new" part of the trail is?

Shirley they are still using the bulk of the old [wood pole] hydro line eh?

That's a nice trip between those two towns as you can play off trail most of it.

I recall there being one short distance that goes through thick young trees that early season ice was usually a problem.

Been a long time since I've been there, but then - there hasn't been anywhere to stay really up that way in quite some time.

(Mani / Horn)

I'm sure that you could connect north or east if you are ok to ride "Wilderness trails".

I'm sure that there will be tracks between towns at some point that you could follow?

Might not be for the short track or two-up crowd tho.

• Like 1