Gauntlets/Muffs

revrnd

Rather than hi jack TD's thread, I figured I start a new thread.

Up north we used to run the large Choko style gauntlets, warm yes, but cumbersome. In '18 saw that irREVerent & the missus had the 'doo handlebar muffs.

Ski-Doo Handlebar Muffs

I got a pair & tried them using lighter gloves than my usual Reimas. Contrary to popular thinking, my hands were fine. The thinner gloves allow the heat to reach your fingers, rather than insulate them from the heated grips. Last winter on our Great Big Loop I used a pair of heavier Mechanix gloves (on the left) when it was colder (-32* C in Chapleau). When the temps got 'warmer' approaching 0*, as we got up on the Corridor I switched to the normal weight gloves. No issues w/ cold fingers.

DSCF1705.thumb.JPG.78fd9328133c6999d0ee1ba8b7931971.JPG

What ever glove you try, you'll be surprised that a thinner glove will work w/ the muffs. That being said I haven't felt the need to use the muffs in 'southern' Ontario. The temps, nor the 'wind speeds' :ph34r: are as extreme as in D14 or D15...

Not because i drink the Doo koolaid or anything,  but the Doo muffs are some of the best on the market, imo.  Me and Mrs. Turbo doo each have a pair.  Although i doo find the handguards that come on any Doo X or XRS, work great also. Rode last season in -45 in Quebec a few mornings with just the handguards. But did eventually put the muffs on..

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea of using thinner gloves with the Doo muffs, I was about to give them to a friend as I hated trying to get a normal winter glove/mitt in the muff

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Thanks for the idea of using thinner gloves with the Doo muffs, I was about to give them to a friend as I hated trying to get a normal winter glove/mitt in the muff

Oh no! I wouldn't even try to use the Reimas w/ the muffs. I'm sure you would feel 'handcuffed' to the bar.

As I said on the other thread I wear thin gloves like rev. With muffs all the time.  The ones I have are similar to these north face ones.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-gordon-etip-gloves-nf0a3m3k-en-ca?from=subCat&variationId=DYY&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=NF0A3M3KDYYXL1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=Canada+Shopping+-+Brand+-+Mens&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_rfvBRCPARIsANlV66Ne7HmbiEUfneRZLAU5xHZSFQoa0UFpZEhE92a5l38NwqfhF4_ABukaAva3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The other ones I have are these but just a different color.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/under-armour-mens-reactor-quilted-gloves-332358352.html#332358352=332358366

They both work well for my hands compared to wearing bulky gloves which would not let the heat through to my hands.

I carry a larger pair with me in case of break down.

After freezing my fingers a few years ago, my hands have never been the same.  I have tried various gloves with limited success.  Last year, I decided to use my Choko muffs full time with lighter gloves.  My hands were warm all year and the handwarmers seemed to work so much better with the lighter gloves.

The main problem that I had with the muffs was that I could not find the other controls (dimmer, heater controls, etc) quick enough.  This year, I found a new set from Royal with 'windows' to see the controls.  These have an 'anchoring' ring that fits over the end of the bar to keep the opening an easy target to get my hands in after signalling.  Looking forward to trying them this season.

• Like 3

I would Hazard a guess that they are very similar to the Doo muffs, that I have. When it gets to 20 below I put them on. 

I use skidoo muffs on my and my wife's sled, love them, use with thinner gloves or no gloves at all sometimes.

7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

After freezing my fingers a few years ago, my hands have never been the same.  I have tried various gloves with limited success.  Last year, I decided to use my Choko muffs full time with lighter gloves.  My hands were warm all year and the handwarmers seemed to work so much better with the lighter gloves.

The main problem that I had with the muffs was that I could not find the other controls (dimmer, heater controls, etc) quick enough.  This year, I found a new set from Royal with 'windows' to see the controls.  These have an 'anchoring' ring that fits over the end of the bar to keep the opening an easy target to get my hands in after signalling.  Looking forward to trying them this season.

Yep those are knock offs of the ski doo design.  The doo muffs are well thought out and work well.  Use them all the time in all conditions.  Never have cold hands anymore.

They are similar to the Doo ones, but a bit different in shape.  IrREVerent and I tried his Doo ones on my sled and they wouldn't fit very well.  I can't remember the exact problem, but we both concluded that they were a fail.  The pictures of these on Royal's site look like they are on a Vector or Apex and they fit over the brake and control block nicely.

54 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

They are similar to the Doo ones, but a bit different in shape.  IrREVerent and I tried his Doo ones on my sled and they wouldn't fit very well.  I can't remember the exact problem, but we both concluded that they were a fail.  The pictures of these on Royal's site look like they are on a Vector or Apex and they fit over the brake and control block nicely.

I was going to pull the trigger on a pair, but seem to be sold out. Happily Amazon has 'em.

On 12/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, sledjunk said:

I assume you are referring to the Kimpex versions......reading this thread and the thought of me buying the DOO ones the last few years, but not actually doing it, I decided to search again this year and found these:

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/steering-and-controls/handguards/kimpex-snowmobile-muff-with-window

The DOO ones are over $200.00, if I am not mistaken vs. these that are less than $100.00.

I just went to ORPS this morning and bought a pair (FYI...they have more on the shelf).

They look good, have not tried them on the sled yet, will do that in the next few weeks, if they work as I expect they will, I will invest in a pair of light winter gloves to use and carry my usual Klim gloves with me on rides.

I have the Doo muffs on my 2019 Enduro.

On my motorcycle I use Hippo Hands and they work very well, so there was no hesitation in buying the Doo brand for my sled.

I have not tried them yet as the sled still sits waiting for snow, but here is my observation.

They may work well on handlebars with straight ends, but my bars angle downward at the tips, not so good.   The Doo muffs have a pin that inserts into the end of the grip to keep the muff from being pushed back by the wind.  Because the pin is in the centre of the muff and the bar end is lower, the muff sits tight against the top of the switchgear.   You have plenty, too much actually of clearance under the bar where you don't need it and no room at the top.

I've spent hours playing with the fit, adjusting the velcro, etc, but nothing I do corrects the positioning to my liking.  If I attach the muff without using the pin, they sit properly, but are easily pushed back....wind

I'm thinking of either removing the centre pin and it's support brace and having a someone with an industrial sewing machine reattaching it lower, or just adding a second push pin and hoping the muff will remain rigid enough that it won't fold back without a brace

Edited by Candubrain
spelling

The ski doo ones are 79.99$ cad with free shipping online right now and a dealer near me even had them on sale last week. 

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/shop/Accessories/handguards_handlebars_accessories/muffs_pads/handlebar-muffs-fits-with-all-handguards-2015-and-up.html

i have ran then for a few seasons now and really like them. No Interference issues of any sort - however I turn my kill switch button down and out of the way like the mountain guys haha 

44 minutes ago, stoney said:

I assume you are referring to the Kimpex versions......reading this thread and the thought of me buying the DOO ones the last few years, but not actually doing it, I decided to search again this year and found these:

https://www.kimpex.com/en-ca/products/snowmobile/steering-and-controls/handguards/kimpex-snowmobile-muff-with-window

The DOO ones are over $200.00, if I am not mistaken vs. these that are less than $100.00.

I just went to ORPS this morning and bought a pair (FYI...they have more on the shelf).

They look good, have not tried them on the sled yet, will do that in the next few weeks, if they work as I expect they will, I will invest in a pair of light winter gloves to use and carry my usual Klim gloves with me on rides.

They look similar to the ones I bought.  See page 286 in the Royal catalogue. They are 49.99.  They seem to fit well but I have not had a chance to try them yet.

Karen has a set on her sled for the really cold days and I will say they certainly keep her hands warm but I just cant bring myself to ride with my hands feeling trapped in them, Good pair of gloves and the Powermadd Fuzion handguards seem to work best for me.

To each their own I guess.

Anybody use this muffs for passenger? Do you need to remove handguards or it will fit?

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/shop/accessories-shop-by-usage/touring/passenger-muffs-for-1--1-seat-rev-gen4-xs-xm-with-1--1-seats.html

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg?imbypass=on

1 hour ago, willb said:

The ski doo ones are 79.99$ cad with free shipping online right now and a dealer near me even had them on sale last week. 

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/shop/Accessories/handguards_handlebars_accessories/muffs_pads/handlebar-muffs-fits-with-all-handguards-2015-and-up.html

i have ran then for a few seasons now and really like them. No Interference issues of any sort - however I turn my kill switch button down and out of the way like the mountain guys haha 

Interesting on the price, I was sure when I was looking them up the other day I saw them over $200....which seemed steep, but never thought twice about it!

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

They look similar to the ones I bought.  See page 286 in the Royal catalogue. They are 49.99.  They seem to fit well but I have not had a chance to try them yet.

Out of stock online at Royal D.  Also out of stock at Gears Canada online.

Edited by whits-end

41 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Karen has a set on her sled for the really cold days and I will say they certainly keep her hands warm but I just cant bring myself to ride with my hands feeling trapped in them, Good pair of gloves and the Powermadd Fuzion handguards seem to work best for me.

To each their own I guess.

I'm with you Nunz.

I use the Powermadd X2 when its really cold

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4386.JPG

2 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Anybody use this muffs for passenger? Do you need to remove handguards or it will fit?

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/shop/accessories-shop-by-usage/touring/passenger-muffs-for-1--1-seat-rev-gen4-xs-xm-with-1--1-seats.html

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg?imbypass=on

You can buy them either way.  2 models available.  One for sleds with passenger hand guards and one for sleds without.

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Interesting on the price, I was sure when I was looking them up the other day I saw them over $200....which seemed steep, but never thought twice about it!

had those on my doo.  Worked really good

7 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

had those on my doo.  Worked really good

The only thing that did....LOL!

It seems all feedback on these are excellent.....hoping the Kimpex versions are just a good.

The other bonus to thinner gloves would be less fatigue on the fingers.....yes, getting old, out of shape, etc....

Edited by stoney