No open trail here anytime soon.

soupkids

With the heavy wet snow we got 2 weeks ago, nothing will be open anytime soon no matter ho much snow we get.

Trails are plugged solid with downed trees..

20191207_145231.jpg

20191207_125938.jpg

20191207_131505.jpg

• Sad 4

Damn. That sucks Soup.

We had a similar mess a few years back. We got lost clearing out a trail we've been doing for over 30 years there was that much crap down.

Bush trails here in our area of D1 went fairly smoothly this last week, which usually means we will pay for it later.

Can the clubs request extra funding from OFSC to hire excavators with thumbs to deal with this type of trail clearing?

6 hours ago, soupkids said:

With the heavy wet snow we got 2 weeks ago, nothing will be open anytime soon no matter ho much snow we get.

Trails are plugged solid with downed trees..

20191207_145231.jpg

20191207_125938.jpg

20191207_131505.jpg

Could STP ask Bruno for some help He has the equipment and resources.Tell him it would cost a fraction of his kids playing snocross. Our little club would probably close,to many hip and knee replacements.That sort of job is beyond are scope.

2 hours ago, gobills said:

Be nice if a local logging company stepped up and donated a machine to rip down there and cut and clear.

There is a large local logging company. they are snowmachiners. I'll let Soup chime in as I,m not familiar with the politics of the area.

We have had that same scenario a few times, just send in a couple 4-5 ton excavators with thumbs to clean it up. Worry about the bill after, thats too much for volunteers

We usually will donate our Kubotas for cost or less for these types of emergencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had similar situation in our area last year.

Our club spent thousands out of our pocket to bring in excavators.

I spent 4 hrs clearing out a small trail between wahnapitae and my road. Soup is spot on, the amount of trees down is overwhelming.  The local club was concentrating on d trail rail bed, I decided to do a side trail. The trails out by  kukagami are going to b a mess for sure. Some random pics of the 3km or so i cleared on Saturday. Lots more work to do. Pictures don't do it justice, I must say, I got more than I bargained for, I was expecting 2-3 trees, think there was 7 in that small area. 

IMG_20191207_120505.jpg

IMG_20191207_112844.jpg

IMG_20191207_110105.jpg

IMG_20191207_115554.jpg

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gtserider said:

Could STP ask Bruno for some help He has the equipment and resources.Tell him it would cost a fraction of his kids playing snocross. Our little club would probably close,to many hip and knee replacements.That sort of job is beyond are scope.

We are working on a plan that involves heavy equipment.

To bad the OFSC did not care ,would surely be a nice for your club soup 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jason T said:

I spent 4 hrs clearing out a small trail between wahnapitae and my road. Soup is spot on, the amount of trees down is overwhelming.  The local club was concentrating on d trail rail bed, I decided to do a side trail. The trails out by  kukagami are going to b a mess for sure. Some random pics of the 3km or so i cleared on Saturday. Lots more work to do. Pictures don't do it justice, I must say, I got more than I bargained for, I was expecting 2-3 trees, think there was 7 in that small area. 

IMG_20191207_120505.jpg

IMG_20191207_112844.jpg

IMG_20191207_110105.jpg

IMG_20191207_115554.jpg

Reminds me of the storm damage south of Maynooth in the summer of 2018. I cut the odd tree as a I rode along the railbed in the Ranger. Then I got to about a mile south of the train station. It was a 'wall' of trees...

7 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

Why would you say that? 

• Thanks 1

I wondered the same thing, Yukon, as Muskoka Man is a nice fellow. I looked back in the thread, and saw the comment about how local cash reserves had to be used for a similar situation, at another location - - which does sound appropriate. One of many reasons why districts need to maintain a reserve for sudden unexpected issues.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

It's really a club / District issue. The club may have already been in touch with their district office about the problem and if they did, there may already be something in the works to help out. To my knowledge "the OFSC" (meaning Barrie office) would only get involved if the club/district couldn't handle the issue and asked for help.

• Thanks 2

As I’m not one that tries to follow the inter workings of the hole OFSC ,I just feel sorry for so many clubs that have it tough and others that have it easy ,does not seem like a balance system ,JMO though 

• Like 1

We do have a plan in place, just a question of $$ and timing.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone has it easy.  There is more and more 'administration' downloaded to the clubs, it seems.

Funding is in place, now time for the plan.

• Like 4

Plan starts monday from what I'm told.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2019 at 6:51 PM, Blake G said:

I wondered the same thing, Yukon, as Muskoka Man is a nice fellow. I looked back in the thread, and saw the comment about how local cash reserves had to be used for a similar situation, at another location - - which does sound appropriate. One of many reasons why districts need to maintain a reserve for sudden unexpected issues.

when operations are run through the district and there is a strong trail committee, the list of resources is very impressive. To bad there wasn't cooperation system wide, cause it works.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wildman said:

when operations are run through the district and there is a strong trail committee, the list of resources is very impressive. To bad there wasn't cooperation system wide, cause it works.

That is why STP.PSSD,MSR. HCSA have worked fairly well aver the last 10-15 years.Running operations through the district is second nature to us.

• Like 1

As I was mentioning last week. Trail work went "too good". New we would pay for it, always happens. Pic from today in D1. Had lots of rain Saturday, turned to wet snow for a few hours. 

Good times.:furious3:

Screenshot_2019-12-19-19-19-31.png