Baysville logging

Muskoka Man

Looks like Muskoka Timber mills have moved into the areas south east of baysville ,they were in there yesterday with lots of big toys going at it .I put my tracker on from echo Lake Rd going south on D102b then turn left on 45 then over to D201b then went south to B .this is 21 ks of Rd plowed down .this is going to be a nasty section and if you ride this section you will be at the B trail washout .may have to see what happy wanderers club may post on this area .

Screenshot_20191208_071227_com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro.jpg

IMG_20191207_122304.jpg

IMG_20191207_124300.jpg

IMG_20191207_112940.jpg

Thats not good, its probably the best early season riding in this area, doesnt need a lot of snow to open. Lets hope they finish logging by xmas and the pisten bulley can just wing the snow back over. 

• Like 1

No more baysville expressway to get the cobwebs out of the sled 

A friend sent me this pic this morning. Looks like its heading east towards the bridge. They're usually excellent with updates on facebook so we'll see.

41CBEB4B-9F9B-4ACC-ADBB-146185F92AB3.jpeg

• Like 3

I had a bad crash near there on those mega hills in the 90's. Anyone else remember those steep launch pads? I believe the sign said "warning extremely steep hills next 'x amount' of km"

I did not heed....

Edited by crispy

Perhaps you speak of the "7 ups" on D trail between Bracebridge and Port Sydney. I've had some close calls in that section too. If you're not paying attention, you sure could have a bad crash, and there usually is every year. 

1 minute ago, Panther340 said:

Are these summer dirt roads that were built by loggers ? Then they are kindly shared with OFSC ? And now when they are used again by loggers ? 

I was thinking same. Loggers sure do make nice wide snowmobile trails. Most leave a section of snow on side for snowmobilers too, which is appreciated by most sledders. My interaction with loggers has been mostly positive on snowmobile. The two can co exist if both sides respect each other and slow down in affected areas, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crispy said:

I had a bad crash near there on those mega hills in the 90's. Anyone else remember those steep launch pads? I believe the sign said "warning extremely steep hills next 'x amount' of km"

I did not heed....

I remember ,scared the crap out of me .

On 12/9/2019 at 3:26 PM, Steve F6 said:

Perhaps you speak of the "7 ups" on D trail between Bracebridge and Port Sydney. I've had some close calls in that section too. If you're not paying attention, you sure could have a bad crash, and there usually is every year. 

I guess thats what it was. Are they still there? We were heading to Baysville from Rosseau to a buddies cottage thats about all I recall. Dog gone paying attention? I was nailing it over the peaks and catching sweet air until the middle one with that huge drop I launched, and with that old PRS tank I went down down down nose first into the flat on the bottom, bent the handle bars into the tank, smashed the wind screen and hood in two with my face, then sheered off the spark plugs on my way over the front, bent the tunnel a good two inches at bulkhead. Then the sled drove into a tree as I did cartwheels and munched the right side PRS system up a few inches. Thought for sure I was gonna break my legs or arms or both. Only thing broke was my nose and the sled. 

I've seen both the good & bad of logging. Clowns used E110 as a skidway. It shouldve been closed. I cant see how a older or smaller person couldve kept their sled on the high ground between the skidder ruts. Ran a LONG distance.

The good was where a logging contractor was cutting on both sides of the trail. They had 1 crossing about 30 feet wide that they used to go from 1 side to the other. Minimal disturbance to the trail :)

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm new to this forum , but it looks like this thread discusses topics closest to where I sled .  Two things:

First - Thanks for the update on the B trail towards Ox Narrow, I'm sad to see the Trail Closed sign posted .  Is this a temporary thing ?   of victim of another trespassing/ATV closure?

Second -  Not sure I'll get a response, but  I'm curious if anyone knows  if the trail south and west of Baysville will open soon Trail D103B?The trails east and south have been open for two weeks).  I saw the Happy Wander's Club crew scouting and clearing recent dead fall on Saturday and was told the crew came from Baysville and only reported a few " wet spots " , but nothing too serious to contend with.  I can't seem to find any contact info on the web to reach out the the club directly .

Welcome to the forum.  I cannot answer your question, but I expect someone on here can.

metro - thanks for the update -do you know if this was the reason why the B Trail ( towards Ox Narrows) is showing as CLosed ( as per the sign posted in a previous picture above) 

I see form your profile that you spend time sledding in Happy Wanderers territory ( as I mainly do) .  Do you know if the trail east and south of Baysville will open soon ( D103B) ?

My buddy lives down by Frasurberg on d103b and he says its been packed but not groomed yet. One of my fav trails.  HGR has been out with their drag on this week. 

• Like 1

Hoping myself things open up on the d103b.

Would be nice if bigwind was a go again. I am heading up to my cabin off Fraserburg Rd at Pine Lake tommorrow. I think the Happywanders do a great job. One day I would like to join them in the prep work. All I can do is support them with my permits and the odd personal stop and clear obstacles on my own when out. Love the area trails.

Steve F6 - Thank you for the update - I hope the packing is a sign grooming is to follow shortly .  like you, I'm keen to get riding and frustrated by being botttled up / cut off  with no access to the trails  east of baysville that have been open and groomed ( staus "green" for a couple of weeks now.

Motorhead  - like you, I  show my contribution by directing my pass purchases to the Happy Wanderers Club, and look forward to the time when I can dedicate more time as a volunteer to help them.

For me the "B" trail is our gateway to Haliburton trails ( and beyond) so I REALLY hope this trail opens up this year .

Question for you....  for the past couple years the "B" trail by Big Wind Prov park has been closed.  Have you found a reliable access point to get on Big Wind lake to skirt around the  5KM sectionof the trail  that is closed?   years ago we'd try to create  a trail at most west end of Big win where we'd  follow a small creek to where it joins D103B  ( west of bird lake) , but this is really tough sledding as we've gotten stuck more times than we've gotten through ...curious of you know of an easier access point ( maybe from one of the cottage lake roads that parallel Big Win Lake)?  

They groomed d103b today, showing yellow now.

I just got back from a short run to check the HGR trails out. D103b towards freds place was bumpy and didnt look like it had been dragged yet, that section always needs alot of snow. Maybe the marsh towards baysville is still sketchy also? Anyone know?  I turned around and went up a nicely goomed 51, turned around at lynx lake and headed back to the lake. The groomer is out on the east side right now.West side is groomed, went up 50 half way and its all good. Even my access trail has been groomed. For the folks coming north from snocrest/BB and wanting get to dorset/dwight and beyond i would recommend crossing Mary(its staked but slushy in spots)to 51 to d102 to 54 then hop on penn lake or LOB to dwight. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

They groomed d103b today, showing yellow now.

I just got back from a short run to check the HGR trails out. D103b towards freds place was bumpy and didnt look like it had been dragged yet, that section always needs alot of snow. Maybe the marsh towards baysville is still sketchy also? Anyone know?  I turned around and went up a nicely goomed 51, turned around at lynx lake and headed back to the lake. The groomer is out on the east side right now.West side is groomed, went up 50 half way and its all good. Even my access trail has been groomed. For the folks coming north from snocrest/BB and wanting get to dorset/dwight and beyond i would recommend crossing Mary(its staked but slushy in spots)to 51 to d102 to 54 then hop on penn lake or LOB to dwight. 

Thanks, we may try to do that on Sunday from our place in Gravenhurst. See how we make out.