Kap Snow Rovers Updates

Turbo Doo

They are in the process of buying a brusher to help with this task.....not sure when they'll be taking delivery.

As you can see in the pics, tracks going AROUND the downed trees.....grrrrrr. A little help would be nice. Cutting a branch or a limb or a small tree here and there does not expose you to liability. Riding a closed trail does.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

They are in the process of buying a brusher to help with this task.....not sure when they'll be taking delivery.

As you can see in the pics, tracks going AROUND the downed trees.....grrrrrr. A little help would be nice. Cutting a branch or a limb or a small tree here and there does not expose you to liability. Riding a closed trail does.

A big X2...

Edited by IQ TURBO

1 hour ago, Claire Voyant said:

Unfortunately, the non volunteer people who ride closed trails don't give a damn about anybody but themselves.

Well, to be fair, how many trail riders have a saw or axe on their sled?

They may have brought one if they knew it was like this, but if they knew it was like that - they likely would have stayed home.

So that cuts both ways...

There is a writ on this very subject in the front of the current issue of (I think) SnowTech. 

Me and my boy took a pass through - what I believe is known as "Trail 7" north of Wawa a few years ago and there was deadfall everywhere!

We cut our way through quite a bit, but started running out of daylight, and Shirley someone with a chainsaw could make 5x the progress that we were.

I don't know if we were almost through the worst of it, or just getting to the bad spot, but we did clear many fells.

I later seen it posted that they had gotten that trail open - maybe a year later (?) for the first time in many years - because it was all fell in!

LOL!

There was this day in 12/99 that we did ride on through tho. I'm kind'a of the mind that much of it really wouldn't need cut down tho? With the guards on the groomers, I would think that it would knock the snow off of them and they could start to retract, usually after the sun comes out tho... ??? This was between the Cow and Montreal Rivers I believe. It was the only spot like this that I can recall. Actually - this pic may have been taken when we stopped for an oncoming groomer up from Searchmont. They were however cutting the sapplings too. Prolly better in the long run?

KiethDec99.jpg

Edited by Ox

29 minutes ago, Ox said:

They may have brought one if they knew it was like this, but if they knew it was like that - they likely would have stayed home.

There is a writ on this very subject in the front of the current issue of (I think) SnowTech. 

Me and my boy took a pass through - what I believe is known as "Trail 7" north of Wawa a few years ago and there was deadfall everywhere!

We cut our way through quite a bit, but started running out of daylight, and Shirley someone with a chainsaw could make 5x the progress that we were.

I don't know if we were almost through the worst of it, or just getting to the bad spot, but we did clear many fells.

I later seen it posted that they had gotten that trail open - maybe a year later (?) for the first time in many years - because it was all fell in!

LOL!

There was this day in 12/99 that we did ride on through tho. I'm kind'a of the mind that much of it really wouldn't need cut down tho? With the guards on the groomers, I would think that it would knock the snow off of them and they could start to retract, usually after the sun comes out tho... ??? This was between the Cow and Montreal Rivers I believe. It was the only spot like this that I can recall. Actually - this pic may have been taken when we stopped for an oncoming groomer up from Searchmont. They were however cutting the sapplings too. Prolly better in the long run?

KiethDec99.jpg

"Back in the day...."

1 hour ago, Ox said:

LOL!

KiethDec99.jpg

Ox, to be fair they shouldn't be out riding on closed trails!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Ox, to be fair they shouldn't be out riding on closed trails!

If it's Crown land, who does it bother? 

I've been brushing and clearing the section of trail I did today, for several years. Today was the first time as an official club volunteer. Is there any difference? Its crown land so No. Anyone and their dog can ride them  (in fact 2 sleds with 3 hunters were on the trails today, and 2 weeks ago too). Hydro may have a different perspective on the subject, but anywhere else is free pass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Techdenis007 said:

I've been brushing and clearing the section of trail I did today, for several years. Today was the first time as an official club volunteer. Is there any difference? Its crown land so No. Anyone and their dog can ride them  (in fact 2 sleds with 3 hunters were on the trails today, and 2 weeks ago too). Hydro may have a different perspective on the subject, but anywhere else is free pass. 

Your right about Crown Land. What i am not for, is tresspassing on trails that are closed on private property.  

12 hours ago, Techdenis007 said:

Agreed that its fair game on Crown Land Denis however as IQ mentions riding closed trails on private property is not right. If you are doing "club work" officially or not, no problem. The trouble we have here in the south is that trail often goes across fields with winter crops that can be damaged if there isn't enough snow cover. As you know there is a reason they are marked closed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed that its fair game on Crown Land Denis however as IQ mentions riding closed trails on private property is not right. If you are doing "club work" officially or not, no problem. The trouble we have here in the south is that trail often goes across fields with winter crops that can be damaged if there isn't enough snow cover. As you know there is a reason they are marked closed.

Totally agree PLC....By all means if your a volunteer on closed trails doing trail work, have at it. Crown land is well, a toss up, but private property is the one that irks me. Closed is closed, unless your a volunteer like i stated..

Edited by IQ TURBO
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Totally agree PLC....By all means if your a volunteer on closed trails doing trail work, have at it. Crown land is well, a toss up, but private property is the one that irks me. Closed is closed, unless your a volunteer like i stated..

x2. 

I can't be bothered to get involved in the "crown land" vs. "private property" unavailable trails argument. 

I doubt the folks who are riding now launched their sleds directly on crown land. I can almost guarantee that between their house and said crown land, they've crossed several properties that are privately owned. 

Pack a f***ing folding saw and give the club an hour of your time, for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

I have found the best way to get help is drop a tree across the trail.

Riders will usually help clear the tree so they can continue on their ride.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

I have found the best way to get help is drop a tree across the trail.

Riders will usually help clear the tree so they can continue on their ride.

I'll keep that in mind LOL

I cleared a dead balsam on E107 this summer. It had been down for quite a while as you could see how the ATVs had ground it into the dirt.

How hard is it to throw 1 of these into a UTV? Heck even a SxS has enough room.

Image result for ms170

Mind you it would reduce the size of beverage cooler you can carry...

3 hours ago, Jason T said:

Trails in Sudbury area are same, will be lots of brushing required. Hope the warmer temps and sun will melt off some of the ice and most will return upright naturally.

Trail opening.jpg

What trail is that and where ?

We will have to get out for a ride this winter

Still waiting for enough ice on the river crossing by the mill in Kap. Got the temps now. Believe a couple of volunteers were out there drilling, measuring and staking yesterday. Any day now.....

• Thanks 1