Vintage Photos - 2019-2010

Dan-Senior

Wakomata Wilderness - 26 Miles of Hell

Weekend-after-weekend of riding the same OFSC trail system, my buddy Brent said why don't we try something different.  How about we do a cross-country trip. 

On that Saturday morning, we staged in Elliot Lake and shot up to Aubrey Falls via sleds, filled up at Aubrey Falls Trading Post, then back-tracked until we came to the powerline.  From there it was straight south for 26 miles of hell.  We eventually exited at Wakomata Lake. The pictures explain the rest.  We only did this trip once and it was the year I transitioned out the XLT into the XCR.  It was a long day, especially, when our vehicles were over in Elliot Lake.  

brent-along-powerline.jpg

brent-before-crossing.jpg

brent-on-other-side.jpg

dan-crossing.jpg

hilly-terrain.jpg

looking-for-crossing.jpg

more-terrain.jpg

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Wakomata Wilderness - 26 Miles of Hell

Weekend-after-weekend of riding the same OFSC trail system, my buddy Brent said why don't we try something different.  How about we do a cross-country trip. 

On that Saturday morning, we staged in Elliot Lake and shot up to Aubrey Falls via sleds, filled up at Aubrey Falls Trading Post, then back-tracked until we came to the powerline.  From there it was straight south for 26 miles of hell.  We eventually exited at Wakomata Lake. The pictures explain the rest.  We only did this trip once and it was the year I transitioned out the XLT into the XCR.  It was a long day, especially, when our vehicles were over in Elliot Lake.  

I  rode that stretch with my 11 yr old son back in 2005. Left from Dunlop Lake Lodge, up to Black Creek Outfitters then rode the hydro line down to Wakomata Lake and got fuel at Tunnel Lake Trading Post. We jumped on the OFSC trail back to Elliot Lake. It was a long day.

Back then the OFSC signs were still in place along the hydro line even though it was no longer an official trail. It was late March and it had been well travelled.

There are very nice views from the tops of some of those peaks and I took plenty of pictures. Now I'm wondering where they all went.

• Like 1

Fixing the Doo on the trail to La Tuque, 45 minutes into what was supposed to be a 5 day ride north from St. Raymond in March 2000 (I think). Next day it was 65 degrees F. in the afternoon. Went back to the truck, loaded the sleds and drove home.  

Second pic is my Polaris fleet winter 1999.

pinder trip.jpg

polaris fleet.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gotta get all my old 35mm slides converted.  I have SO many, I may have to sell one of the grandchildren to pay for it.  But there is sure a lot of family history rotting away in dozens and dozens of Carousels !

• Like 5

I've done the Wakamatta trip on ATV's many years ago. That's some big country back in there.

Not been through in the winter yet.

The pics tho remind me of a day that we took the hydro line along 101 through The Shoals park.

Stumps all must be cut to 3' tall! It was a mine field!

At one point my chum with his Pol was running point, and I was following, picking our way through one of the mine fields....

My chum made a hard turn, and I pulled mine over hard to make the 90* turn, to only have pulled it over too hard, and actually fell off / stopped on the dime.

Trouble was that it wasn't a dime, but rather an old rotten stump hiding flush with the snow that my ribs landed on.

It was a small stump, and it broke away, so it likely could have been worse.

Must'a cracked a couple as they made sure that I remembered that stump daily for the next few months.

We haven't been back through there since.

Kind'a holding that off 'till one of those REALLY epic snow years - maybe....

Or maybe we can try it when we are really old(er) and maybe the stumps will be mostly rotted away by then?

I was told that they cleared that area in the winter is why the stumps are so tall through there.

This pic taken from that day, right next to the hwy.

I think my chum bent that trailing arm right there, so can't really blame it on the mine fields out on the hydro, but ....

Pic shows him ready to call Gordy in Wawa to see if he's open and has any trailing arms on the say phone.

He did have an arm, but no rad rods for the RMK, and we ended up having to head home.

SamSatPhoneFeb03_zpsdzn5ykza.jpg

Edited by Ox
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pic of my old man with his chums in early 70's..  yearly sled bash in Deep River.....got to love the wine skins...he's the one on the right with the white mug.....Sno Jet was the sled of choice for most in the gang...their buddy they worked with at NDP in Rolphton was also local Sno Jet dealer in Chalk River..

20191213_175740.jpg

Edited by Diceman
  • Like 5

Your dad is the good lookin' one eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post a couple of pics from Kap'

1821869231_01MeinKap.jpg.d1fe2d51be344863a61eb76af21c7d1e.jpg

I'm guessing this was from our second Northern Blastoff in 2001. Stayed @ the Apollo. Sled was my '01 MXZ 600.

293534800_KapPicCropped.JPG.4a1ffbb63a6194fa8a6959358ec46be4.JPG

Just west of town on TOP A? I'm probably on the wrong side of the trail :ph34r: I think in those days we hadn't discovered the side trails thru there. Mind you 1 year (I'm thinking '02) we did a couple of the loops north of Hearst :wub:, back to the Husky for brunch & then headed east for Iroquois Falls. Sled was a '04 Legend 600SDI "The Guinea Pig" :banghead: w/ MXZ550F graphics applied.

• Like 2

I remember when a ride to Trappers Inn & back took all day. I did it a few years ago (at a safe speed on the trail) and it was about an hour 1 way LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2019 at 4:18 PM, revrnd said:

I remember when a ride to Trappers Inn & back took all day. I did it a few years ago (at a safe speed on the trail) and it was about an hour 1 way LOL

We used to come down from Minden area.Lucky if we made it back before dark. Got better over the years and cheated on Salarno,Miss,Catch.5 points was great back in the day.Even climbed  the tower on Greens mountain,when it was still there.You ever make it up the hill across from trappers?

On 12/21/2019 at 11:29 PM, revrnd said:

I'll post a couple of pics from Kap'

1821869231_01MeinKap.jpg.d1fe2d51be344863a61eb76af21c7d1e.jpg

I'm guessing this was from our second Northern Blastoff in 2001. Stayed @ the Apollo. Sled was my '01 MXZ 600.

293534800_KapPicCropped.JPG.4a1ffbb63a6194fa8a6959358ec46be4.JPG

Just west of town on TOP A? I'm probably on the wrong side of the trail :ph34r: I think in those days we hadn't discovered the side trails thru there. Mind you 1 year (I'm thinking '02) we did a couple of the loops north of Hearst :wub:, back to the Husky for brunch & then headed east for Iroquois Falls. Sled was a '04 Legend 600SDI "The Guinea Pig" :banghead: w/ MXZ550F graphics applied.

You wunna tell the story about that aggin?

I know that we discussed it a few years ago, but looking at the pic, and the description, I'm still not figgering it out again. 

Maybe you was just testing the motor?

Because it aint even in the right chassis. 

Maybe that's just part of the stealth program? 

Put it in a dead chassis and no-one would suspect?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 11:05 PM, Blackstar said:

post-19895-0-14590100-1326256399.jpg.f8fdcd9e06634dd10d351e09b9ca38f4.jpg

My dad having a beer. I'm in the Skiboose with my sister and I think one of my cousins.

335 version?

50 years ago last fall, Dad bought his, our 1st sled. He rode until the '09 season.

• Thanks 1

My Dad in the earlier years of the Port Perry club. Chain saw in hand and on top of the world out building trails with a great group of friends, he loved it.

1992922005_DADPPSC.jpg.a264ecf681e9561628c271762078ab82.jpg

Sadly he passed away last night.

R.I.P. Pops, we miss you.

Edited by ZR SLEDHEAD
  • Like 2
  • Sad 10

Sorry for your loss 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, Blackstar said:

I  rode that stretch with my 11 yr old son back in 2005. Left from Dunlop Lake Lodge, up to Black Creek Outfitters then rode the hydro line down to Wakomata Lake and got fuel at Tunnel Lake Trading Post. We jumped on the OFSC trail back to Elliot Lake. It was a long day.

Back then the OFSC signs were still in place along the hydro line even though it was no longer an official trail. It was late March and it had been well travelled.

There are very nice views from the tops of some of those peaks and I took plenty of pictures. Now I'm wondering where they all went.

I did same thing. Nice ride into tunnel lake. Hydro line was an amazing goat path type trail with steller views. Snow always better farther north compared to riding d trail near highway.  I remember it being a long day too approx 200 km’s I believe. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

My Dad in the earlier years of the Port Perry club. Chain saw in hand and on top of the world out building trails with a great group of friends, he loved it.

Sorry for you loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Sorry for your loss ZR. Condolences to your family.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss ZR, my condolences to you and your family.

Edited by Nunz
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss, ZR.

• Like 1