Sled Insurance - 2019-2020 Season

Dan-Senior

1 hour ago, stoney said:

I know not directed at me, but my 2013 CAT 800 is 424.00 at TD with full coverage.....vs. your 2015 Cat 4-stroke that is 350.00.

I used to have an appraised 86 mustang that TD also insured for me once upon a time.

My 2012 cat 800 full coverage w $2M liability is 365$ at my local mutual insurance company 

39 minutes ago, T bird said:

My 2012 cat 800 full coverage w $2M liability is 365$ at my local mutual insurance company 

Hmmm....both of you are from SW Ontario region, makes me wonder if Insurance rates are cheaper for that area compared to York region.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Hmmm....both of you are from SW Ontario region, makes me wonder if Insurance rates are cheaper for that area compared to York region.

Definitely.  That is why my Sonata costs so much having to drive into the GTA with all those imported drivers.

• Haha 1

3 sleds with TD. No collision. $1mil Liability, Comprehensive

2012 Vector $375

2015 ZR9000 $400

2015 MXZ-X 800 $410

Valued at market prices.

Edited by Blackstar

Go back to my post on page 4.  I updated the actual cost for each vehicle from the policy.  Tax not included.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, Blackstar said:

3 sleds with TD. No collision. $1mil Liability, Comprehensive

2012 Vector $375

2015 ZR9000 $400

2015 MXZ-X 800 $410

Valued at market prices.

Vector seems a tad high for year but not drastically. I have my 2017 grand touring Se with TD still (only vehicle I have there and it is just slightly over 600 a year with monthly install payments, full coverage with 1 million liability and collision and 500 deductibles all around, except theft and fire is 300 I believe. 
Atv is only 375 a year with farm broker going to ask about sled, when he comes by in a few weeks. Has full coverage too and 2

Million on atv. TD limit is 1 million.

I learned a couple hard lessons about insurance over the years.

Back when we were first married my wife drove a little Mazda GLC. She wasn't a well coordinated driver & in a period of a few months she rounded off 3 of the corners of that car in separate incidents. Cost was high enough that we put them through insurance. Our next insurance renewal, all with the Cooperators, her car insurance cost doubled (and rightly so) my truck & snowmobile insurance also went way up. (don't remember exactly how much) Since then I have made it a point to never have any of my vehicles insured with the same company. Of course loosing out on any multi discounts.

Close to 20 years later my son needed a car to get to work. (just out of high school & living at home) Being the good dad we bought the car in my name and the insurance was in his name. My thinking was the car would get turned over to the next child eventually. Well my son had an accident or 2. Costing the insurance company some $$ & his rates went through the roof. A year later the boy moved to TO & didn't need the car so we sold it. About a year after that I get a call from the insurance company. Where is your son, does he drive, & who is his insurance carrier?? He didn't have a car or insurance in TO, so they informed me that because his previous car was in my name, the increased insurance rates that he would have been paying would be passed on to me. So my rates doubled. 

A few years after that I insured a new snowmobile in the fall of the year with TD. I think I did the transaction over the phone. They asked if any one else's name should be on the policy. (no charge to add the names) So I put the names of both my sons on the policy. No questions were asked. Later, when the snow was on the ground, approximately early January, I get a call from TD, stating that my son (the one I bought the car for) had multiple speeding tickets. Because this was not declared on the insurance application my snowmobile insurance was canceled. I tried to explain that my son does not necessarily disclose all his tickets to me and I didn't know. Didn't matter. So there I was scrambling in January to get sled insurance. 

39 minutes ago, XTC500 said:

I learned a couple hard lessons about insurance over the years.

Back when we were first married my wife drove a little Mazda GLC. She wasn't a well coordinated driver & in a period of a few months she rounded off 3 of the corners of that car in separate incidents. Cost was high enough that we put them through insurance. Our next insurance renewal, all with the Cooperators, her car insurance cost doubled (and rightly so) my truck & snowmobile insurance also went way up. (don't remember exactly how much) Since then I have made it a point to never have any of my vehicles insured with the same company. Of course loosing out on any multi discounts.

Close to 20 years later my son needed a car to get to work. (just out of high school & living at home) Being the good dad we bought the car in my name and the insurance was in his name. My thinking was the car would get turned over to the next child eventually. Well my son had an accident or 2. Costing the insurance company some $$ & his rates went through the roof. A year later the boy moved to TO & didn't need the car so we sold it. About a year after that I get a call from the insurance company. Where is your son, does he drive, & who is his insurance carrier?? He didn't have a car or insurance in TO, so they informed me that because his previous car was in my name, the increased insurance rates that he would have been paying would be passed on to me. So my rates doubled. 

A few years after that I insured a new snowmobile in the fall of the year with TD. I think I did the transaction over the phone. They asked if any one else's name should be on the policy. (no charge to add the names) So I put the names of both my sons on the policy. No questions were asked. Later, when the snow was on the ground, approximately early January, I get a call from TD, stating that my son (the one I bought the car for) had multiple speeding tickets. Because this was not declared on the insurance application my snowmobile insurance was canceled. I tried to explain that my son does not necessarily disclose all his tickets to me and I didn't know. Didn't matter. So there I was scrambling in January to get sled insurance. 

there is a lot going on here.

All insurance companies want to know how many licensed drivers are in the household and who they are - namely - because of use and operation and consent, whether it be implied or not.

The simple approach you could have taken is to add a 28A excluded driver end. to your snowmobile policy and be done with it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

All insurance companies want to know how many licensed drivers are in the household and who they are - namely - because of use and operation and consent, whether it be implied or not.

The simple approach you could have taken is to add a 28A excluded driver end. to your snowmobile policy and be done with it.

So lets say you have a son or daughter that is driving but they have their own car and insurance, do you still have to mention them and potentially there bad records will affects your rates, even if they have always had their own policies and ownership, unless you add this 28A that sounds like it basically informs the Ins that under no circumstances will driver A or B listed on the 28A will use your vehicles?

8 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I appreciate you letting us know about the 28A excluded driver end. Dealing with TD over the phone most  non insurance employed people would not know about it. Can you please explain a little more about what the 28A actually does.

Just as an aside, I tried calling TD insurance last Friday at 8:02 (2 minutes after they opened) to cancel my policy which was set to renew Nov. 9th. I was on hold for over 38 minutes and decided to hang up and mail the cancellation notice to them. I've had to be on hold for many companies but never for that long and with no updates. They must have got really busy in the first 2 minutes they were open. LOL

28 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I appreciate you letting us know about the 28A excluded driver end. Dealing with TD over the phone most  non insurance employed people would not know about it. Can you please explain a little more about what the 28A actually does.

Just as an aside, I tried calling TD insurance last Friday at 8:02 (2 minutes after they opened) to cancel my policy which was set to renew Nov. 9th. I was on hold for over 38 minutes and decided to hang up and mail the cancellation notice to them. I've had to be on hold for many companies but never for that long and with no updates. They must have got really busy in the first 2 minutes they were open. LOL

Try calling Rogers or CRA.... just as bad or even worse

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

ive been with TD for over 25 years. Im considering leaving them because the last two times I called i was on hold for over 45 minutes and an hour.............I want to speak to a person. DOnt care if I pay more.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

At the time of application for insurance I  (perhaps naively) didn't know about my sons speeding tickets. When they called me, there was no mention of 28A. They said they had to cancel the policy because I lied on the application. 

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Agreed, which is why for some who are not insurance educated could rely on the services of a broker.

Here is the link to the endorsement and details.

I see them quite regularly on the claims side and actually check for them on every auto liability claim when we are assigned them.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1069E.pdf

As for the customer service, it sounds terrible and I would not be happy about it either.

Talk to a broker - they'll answer you're call and do the work for you.

Cheers,

1 minute ago, XTC500 said:

At the time of application for insurance I  (perhaps naively) didn't know about my sons speeding tickets. When they called me, there was no mention of 28A. They said they had to cancel the policy because I lied on the application. 

Yeah, they handled it poorly - firstly - you didn't "lie" about anything - if you don't know - you don't know - they can run an abstract and have it back in less than an hour and find out for themselves - they chose not too and/or possibly failed to ask the question.

If the questions were:

1. How many drivers in the household - Answer - honestly

2. Who are the drivers - names - ages - relationship?

3. Will those drivers be driving the insured vehicles?

If you failed to answer those honestly, then that's a different story.

It's not reasonable for your know the driving history of everyone, household or not - I don't know if my own wife has tickets - she might? I don't know.... - so that's on them - you didn't lie about anything - and if you cared enough - you could take that up with the ombudsman - but I would say move along and if it's an issue anywhere else - either have him chip and pay the extra or get the 28A and he's on his own.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

So lets say you have a son or daughter that is driving but they have their own car and insurance, do you still have to mention them and potentially there bad records will affects your rates, even if they have always had their own policies and ownership, unless you add this 28A that sounds like it basically informs the Ins that under no circumstances will driver A or B listed on the 28A will use your vehicles?

In your example - if your kid lives in THE SAME HOUSEHOLD and YOU KNOW they have a piss poor driving record - and they have their own car and insurance - then I would 100% add them as a 28A - excluded driver and save yourself the headache and premium - but of course - talk to a broker, but I would.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Agreed, which is why for some who are not insurance educated could rely on the services of a broker.

Here is the link to the endorsement and details.

I see them quite regularly on the claims side and actually check for them on every auto liability claim when we are assigned them.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms/Documents/OAP-1-Application-and-Endorsement-Forms/1069E.pdf

As for the customer service, it sounds terrible and I would not be happy about it either.

Talk to a broker - they'll answer you're call and do the work for you.

Cheers,

Thanks Spid. I have already put the sled insurance through my broker who handles all our other insurance. He was able to save me over $300.00 for the exact same coverage on the 2 sleds through a local mutual insurance company.

Decided to try shopping my sled insurance yesterday.

First place I tried is where my vehicles and boat are - no dice - my antiquated crap box Cat is on their "restricted" list.....

Broker is making some other inquiries today - see what shakes out.

If all else fails - back to TD

Sounds like I need to keep my 30 year policy with The Guarantee Company of North America.  At least they insure all my toys and so far, Intact hasn't f%&$ed it up yet.

14 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Sounds like I need to keep my 30 year policy with The Guarantee Company of North America.  At least they insure all my toys and so far, Intact hasn't f%&$ed it up yet.

GCNA is/was a great company to be insured with.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You try to change something on your policy and they go thru 30 question checklist. Oh boy no wonder phones are tied up. They won’t except cancellation without talking to you as well. Have to do both. Ran into that last year with my dads policy. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Decided to try shopping my sled insurance yesterday.

First place I tried is where my vehicles and boat are - no dice - my antiquated crap box Cat is on their "restricted" list.....

Broker is making some other inquiries today - see what shakes out.

If all else fails - back to TD

Yeah I ran into that in past too. My understanding is TD just goes by value of sled, now. Don’t matter what it is. In past they had a max value that they wouldn’t go above, not sure if that is still case or not. 

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You try to change something on your policy and they go thru 30 question checklist. Oh boy no wonder phones are tied up. They won’t except cancellation without talking to you as well. Have to do both. Ran into that last year with my dads policy. 

You are wrong again.

• Thanks 2