Sled Insurance - 2019-2020 Season

Dan-Senior

7 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

What did they tell you about Ice riding and If your sled happens to go thru (hopefully  it never happens) I hear different horror stories about going thru ice and insurance is voided and you are on your own essentially. 

When I dunked mine the insurance company asked if I was on a trail, thankfully I was.

Not sure what would have happened if I wasn't.

5 hours ago, soupkids said:

When I dunked mine the insurance company asked if I was on a trail, thankfully I was.

Not sure what would have happened if I wasn't.

I was totally covered when I lost mine thru the ice on Lake Muskoka!

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, yamadan700 said:

FWIW

Insured with The Personal

2015 Pantera 7000  $265 full coverage

2004 Sabercat 700   $90  liability and comp

I called   The Personal   Very happy with the price  will probably be switching  Thanks Yamadan700 

• Like 1

thepersonal.com

1-888-476-8737

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thank-you! I did and there rating isn’t steller either. So that is abit concerning when you have 12k plus sled. 

no worries   I am going to look into them a bit before switching 

3 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

no worries   I am going to look into them a bit before switching 

I just checked better business bureau and they are rated b plus. TD in comparison is a D, which is promising. I think I call for a quote and see how much. Thanks everyone! 

Edited by Strong Farmer

usually when sinking a sled, you are covered for the sled but, the recovery may be on your dime. your results may vary. Ski

22 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

usually when sinking a sled, you are covered for the sled but, the recovery may be on your dime. your results may vary. Ski

Also fines from ministry per day if they find out. Hopefully I never go thru to find out, hard way. 

• Thanks 1

It appears that unless you belong to a group or an association, The Personal doesnt really want your business.  

47 minutes ago, scottyr said:

It appears that unless you belong to a group or an association, The Personal doesnt really want your business.  

Does being a member of the OFSC or snowmobile club count?

31 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We aren’t really members of association by buying a trail permit. I have no club membership card number or get financial reports every quarter, unfortunately. I think if a club approached personal with its members and mass amount of people put thier sled there, that would maybe qualify. 
I use federation of agriculture membership to get group rates at insurance companies. I try that with personal and see what they say and give them a copy of my card and membership number. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

We aren’t really members of association by buying a trail permit. I have no club membership card number or get financial reports every quarter, unfortunately. I think if a club approached personal with its members and mass amount of people put thier sled there, that would maybe qualify. 
I use federation of agriculture membership to get group rates at insurance companies. I try that with personal and see what they say and give them a copy of my card and membership number. 

I believe that every permit buyer is a member of the OFSC. The OFSC is a not for profit organization and if the people who invest the money in it by purchasing permits are not members of the organization then who the hell is? No one else other than occasionally the Ontario gov't. thru a grant invests any money in the organization. Financial and other information from the OFSC is distributed to Districts and clubs, not permit purchasers.

Are you a member of a snowmobile club? Putting a club name on the permit application does not necessarily make you a member of said club although it may with some clubs.. If you want the information you need to be a club member. That may require a few bucks and or volunteering.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The OFSC is endorsing Desjardin insurance on the website as part of the rider advantage program. As a permit buyer, you are able to take advange of this program.

5 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The OFSC is endorsing Desjardin insurance on the website as part of the rider advantage program. As a permit buyer, you are able to take advange of this program.

I am aware of that although their rate quoted to me wasn't competitive with TD. My question was regarding the following statement by Scottyr "It appears that unless you belong to a group or an association, The Personal doesnt really want your business."  

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, scottyr said:

Unless their "rules" have changed, that's not true...we have had our "toys" (formerly 2 sleds, now 1, formerly 2 quads, now 1) with The Personal for about 7 years, and are not members of any "group" or association.

The Personal, when it started was for group members only, they may have eased those restrictions to keep in the market, but at one time it was group only.

Example, back in the day, if you worked for Bell or Hydro One, they had programs for those employees and preferred rates.

CIBC used to handle their insurance claims, but they no longer do as CIBC exited the market and sold to Desjardins

27 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

The Personal, when it started was for group members only, they may have eased those restrictions to keep in the market, but at one time it was group only.

Example, back in the day, if you worked for Bell or Hydro One, they had programs for those employees and preferred rates.

CIBC used to handle their insurance claims, but they no longer do as CIBC exited the market and sold to Desjardins

I still have an old group policy from work via economical for my vehicles. One you are in, they let you keep it for life. Been almost 10 years now, since I worked there and no one has said anything. Under 1500 for three vehicles is great. 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:07 AM, skidooboy said:

A local fished mine out & saved the insurance company the problem-it was in 75' of H2O & they just seized it from him!

On 11/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, tricky said:

Got mine too. $345 tax in, including $178 for Comprehensive (otherwise would be very cheap). That's with Certas (Desjardins).

Hi Tricky;

Interesting, as I am with Desjardins and insuring a 2016 ski-doo blizzard 900 ACE the sled is $476/year. I also have my home, ATV, 2 cars and a motorcycle with them so I am getting the full multi vehicle discount where applicable, here is the breakdown in terms of the coverage. In a nut shell I carry $1M liability, Accident benefits is standard , Collision and loss or Damage( all perils with including collision $500 deductable) 

How does the coverage compare to yours???

I also carry a $1M personal liability policy that allows me to carry the minimum amount of auto liability on my cars and still have $1.3M liability, it's cheaper then carrying a $1M or more on each vehicle

Below is my Sled insurance details.

Liability

Amount of insurance: $1,000,000

Bodily Injury

Insurance premium: $40

Property Damage

Insurance premium: Included

Accident Benefits (Standard Benefits)

Insurance premium: $99

Optional Increased Accident Benefits

Income replacement ($600/$800/$1000)

Insurance premium: Not included

Caregiver, Housekeeping and Home Maintenance

Medical, Rehab. and Attendant Care ($130,000/$1,000,000)

Optional Catastrophic Impairment ($1,000,000)

Death and Funeral

Dependant care

Indexation Benefit (Consumer Price Index)

Uninsured Automobile

Direct Compensation - Property Damage (deductible: $0)

Insurance premium: $12

Loss or Damage

All perils ( deductible : $500 )

Insurance premium: $325

Collision or upset

Comprehensive (Excluding Collision or Upset)

Specified Perils (Excluding Collision or Upset)

Policy Change Forms

32 - Use of Recreational Vehicles by Unlicensed Operators -

Sleigh owned by the Insured and Intended for use with the insured snowmobile is covered under Section 7 - Limit per occurrence : $250

Insurance premium: $0

40 - Fire Deductible

1 hour ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Hi Tricky;

Interesting, as I am with Desjardins and insuring a 2016 ski-doo blizzard 900 ACE the sled is $476/year. I also have my home, ATV, 2 cars and a motorcycle with them so I am getting the full multi vehicle discount where applicable, here is the breakdown in terms of the coverage. In a nut shell I carry $1M liability, Accident benefits is standard , Collision and loss or Damage( all perils with including collision $500 deductable) 

How does the coverage compare to yours???

I also carry a $1M personal liability policy that allows me to carry the minimum amount of auto liability on my cars and still have $1.3M liability, it's cheaper then carrying a $1M or more on each vehicle

Below is my Sled insurance details.

Liability

Amount of insurance: $1,000,000

Bodily Injury

Insurance premium: $40

Property Damage

Accident Benefits (Standard Benefits)

Insurance premium: $99

Optional Increased Accident Benefits

Income replacement ($600/$800/$1000)

Caregiver, Housekeeping and Home Maintenance

Medical, Rehab. and Attendant Care ($130,000/$1,000,000)

Optional Catastrophic Impairment ($1,000,000)

Death and Funeral

Dependant care

Indexation Benefit (Consumer Price Index)

Uninsured Automobile

Direct Compensation - Property Damage (deductible: $0)

Insurance premium: $12

Loss or Damage

All perils ( deductible : $500 )

Insurance premium: $325

Collision or upset

Comprehensive (Excluding Collision or Upset)

Specified Perils (Excluding Collision or Upset)

Policy Change Forms

32 - Use of Recreational Vehicles by Unlicensed Operators -

Sleigh owned by the Insured and Intended for use with the insured snowmobile is covered under Section 7 - Limit per occurrence : $250

Insurance premium: $0

40 - Fire Deductible

1 million liability today isn’t much coverage at all. Most companies won’t go any higher on sleds either. I have an umbrella policy now that covers me up to 5 million liability, on all vehicles and toys I own. Piece of mind.