Haliburton Forest

Chickey6.archived

Just now, Nunz said:

Been chatting with a couple guys, sounds like Temiskaming and ride north from there. 

Some branches down in trail @ Temisk.?

Just now, Muskoka1 said:

Some branches down in trail @ Temisk.?

I heard they cleaned most of it, I’ll hedge my bets on the conditions bring much better than HF. Would be nice to give the sleds a good break in run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

I heard they cleaned most of it, I’ll hedge my bets on the conditions bring much better than HF. Would be nice to give the sleds a good break in run. 

Temisk. railbed is always better than HF!

• Like 1

base was good yesterday

1 hour ago, Chickey6 said:

We were leaving Sunday for three days and they more or less said if we were not on ATV's it was poor.  They gave us a full refund on our cabin.

Weather for the last week or so, has sucked no doubt.....

You making alternate plans i.e Quebec or Northern ON, or leave it for another day?

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Weather for the last week or so, has sucked no doubt.....

You making alternate plans i.e Quebec or Northern ON, or leave it for another day?

I don't feel like travelling 7 hours each way, so think we will be waiting for another time.:(

2 hours ago, Chickey6 said:

We were leaving Sunday for three days and they more or less said if we were not on ATV's it was poor.  They gave us a full refund on our cabin.

Worst winter start ever?  11 deg in KW today. 

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Have a feeling it's going to get cold but then not last.  I think were in for a short winter.  I hope I'm wrong but this warm weather is really messing things up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Puggz said:

8 hours ago, gobills said:

Have a feeling it's going to get cold but then not last.  I think were in for a short winter.  I hope I'm wrong but this warm weather is really messing things up.

It might be a slow start, but I don't think that far off from the last few years.

We typically visit the in laws around Christmas, spend a night or two, so bring the dog in the back of the truck and its seems more often than not the weather is on the warm side as I'm usually concerned about my dog freezing his  preverbial balls off, but it seems to usually be mild out.

The new norm is cold and hot cycles, sucks, but life.....so be prepared to trailer to where the warm up has less of an impact and count your blessings when you don't have to trailer!

Yep. Seems we get a series of mini-winters and mini-springs between November and April.

It absolutely POURED rain here last New Years. TEEMED!  I think I saw Noah collecting animals it was so bad.  

However, we had a pretty good season for sledding around here. Late start but, also, a late finish.  

• Like 1

yea I guess I forget.  I do recall 2018 being freezing cold with lots of green trails in SW Ontario. Then it started to cycle up and down with rain during the warm spells.  Played havoc unless you were several hours north.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, Puggz said:

yea I guess I forget.  I do recall 2018 being freezing cold with lots of green trails in SW Ontario. Then it started to cycle up and down with rain during the warm spells.  Played havoc unless you were several hours north.

Yup I think we had 2.5 days of yellow trails around new Dundee and Baden area, before it was trashed by weather. Weather is changing no doubt.  Winters starting later with more frequent and severe thaws.  Starting back at zero again, first week of January. Let’s hope cold comes in and ground freezes and we get a decent season for a change. Still hope not February yet like some years. 

On 12/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

It absolutely POURED rain here last New Years. TEEMED!  I think I saw Noah collecting animals it was so bad.  

However, we had a pretty good season for sledding around here. Late start but, also, a late finish.  

That happened last night here and wind was harsh too.  Ground is thawed right out and going to take a polar vortex followed by a good storm to get things open in d5. 

I was there New Year's Day, we did around 170k.  Was way better than I expected.  

A few pics from Dec 31st ride

20191231_125422~2.jpg

20191231_161134~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was at the Forest today.  They filled their 100 sled max and we’re turning guys away.

The trails were better then we expected.  Yes they need some fresh snow.  The main trails are icy in corners. There was enough lube and cooling. Didn’t see a lot of scratchers being used.  Most of the smaller trails do not have enough snow for grooming but are passable if you can handle some humps and bumps.  

We rode 160km or so.   I hit a few rocks in places. But that is expected and happens on most trails when the cool guys spin their tracks down to the dirt on every hill crest.  

Overall I would go again if it remains the only riding within 3 to4 hour drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.