Sprucedale Hotel is for sale

Blake G

I say we all chip in as a group and buy it. 

I'd like to add a share in a hotel to my portfolio.

Put Wild Bill in charge as the crusty proprietor.

We can call it WildBill's Firetrap.

What could go wrong?

P.S. I call dibs on the T-shirt and merch concession.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That place has some history. Built in 1899. Now I see why it is called a fire trap might still have old knot and tube wiring. Maybe Martin would buy it if we all chipped in to help. Be a great spot to serve up some micro brewed beer and fish and chips. Anyone here from him lately. Last I know he was going to run the restaurant in a microbrewery some where near parry sound I believe. Not sure if that even happened! 

Edited by Strong Farmer

23 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That place has some history. Built in 1899. Now I see why it is called a fire trap might still have old knot and tube wiring. Maybe Martin would buy it if we all chipped in to help. Be a great spot to serve up some micro brewed beer and fish and chips. Anyone here from him lately. Last I know he was going to run the restaurant in a microbrewery some where near parry sound I believe. Not sure if that even happened! 

That's actually a good idea, the hotel part of this building is a dead prospect and that would make a great stop all year round. 

Absolutely no regular business there anymore, you could never run a profit on it from just sledders or the odd tourist.  The seniors were going in for fish and chips once a week and to play cards, it was packed but they wouldnt pay more than 9 bucks a plate for food.  and stayed all day, not very profitable for the owner.  Its a dump of a building, and for about a 100,000 more the renovated burks falls old hotel building was listed late winter, its multi level, all gutted upstairs with new windows, insulation, wiring and stud walls and zoned and ready to put in multiple apt units.  the main floor kitchen was all rebuilt 2 years ago, all gourmet, stainless steel and a massive new pub downstairs,   I would look at that one first if I was seriously considering getting a pub going in this area.

4 hours ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

Absolutely no regular business there anymore, you could never run a profit on it from just sledders or the odd tourist.  The seniors were going in for fish and chips once a week and to play cards, it was packed but they wouldnt pay more than 9 bucks a plate for food.  and stayed all day, not very profitable for the owner.  Its a dump of a building, and for about a 100,000 more the renovated burks falls old hotel building was listed late winter, its multi level, all gutted upstairs with new windows, insulation, wiring and stud walls and zoned and ready to put in multiple apt units.  the main floor kitchen was all rebuilt 2 years ago, all gourmet, stainless steel and a massive new pub downstairs,   I would look at that one first if I was seriously considering getting a pub going in this area.

I thought a microbrewery/restaurant like Trussle could have some potential, but that will take some $$$.

7 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I thought a microbrewery/restaurant like Trussle could have some potential, but that will take some $$$.

Yeah will take dollars no doubt. A tavern near me attempted  it and turned out that old building and what township would allow, wasn’t feasible. They need a whole new seperate building beside old tavern to comply with all regulations, that there wouldn’t be much of a parking lot left.Plans fell thru the cracks and nothing got done., Almost need a good few acres like cowbell has in blyth to attempt it. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

7 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Almost need a good few acres like cowbell has in blyth to attempt it. 

Having the dollars that the Sparling family has definitely doesn't hurt either 

• Like 2

What's the nearest buttertart retailer? 

Build it & they will come. My S-I-L works part time @ 1 that recently moved. Business has improved immensely. Reopening during COVID 19 hasn't been an issue because they had switched to take out only w/ the move.

42 minutes ago, revrnd said:

What's the nearest buttertart retailer? 

Build it & they will come. My S-I-L works part time @ 1 that recently moved. Business has improved immensely. Reopening during COVID 19 hasn't been an issue because they had switched to take out only w/ the move.

I think Orville was but I don’t know answer for sure. Blake would know! Yes money in baking to internet or take out orders. I know one friend that runs fancy tarts in London. Family run and butter tarts does close to half revenue there. They took out seats a few years ago. Too many people sitting around and not buying much. No waste when baking to order pretty much, so cash flow is pretty good I was told. 

• Like 1

Two weeks ago, the Orrville Bakery pulled the plug for 2020. The Seguin Trail is a low carb zone.

Screenshot_20200529-104800_Facebook.jpg

On the plus side of the ledger, Loretta's Bakery opened last spring south of Parry Sound near Memories of Muskoka. (Right on Top C in the former location of the Lighthouse Restaurant, but closed in the winters as far as I know.)

All Loretta's baked goods are excellent. Don't ask me how I know. Bread, pies, scones, you name it. Her butter tarts rival those of the Maids Cottage, Doo Doos, and the Little Tart.

Loretta's sticky buns are the best I've ever had.

20200523_150211.jpg

https://www.muskokaaccents.ca

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I think Orville was but I don’t know answer for sure. Blake would know! Yes money in baking to internet or take out orders. I know one friend that runs fancy tarts in London. Family run and butter tarts does close to half revenue there. They took out seats a few years ago. Too many people sitting around and not buying much. No waste when baking to order pretty much, so cash flow is pretty good I was told. 

That was the same reason my S-I-L said,

4 hours ago, Blake G said:

Two weeks ago, the Orrville Bakery pulled the plug for 2020. The Seguin Trail is a low carb zone.

Screenshot_20200529-104800_Facebook.jpg

On the plus side of the ledger, Loretta's Bakery opened last spring south of Parry Sound near Memories of Muskoka. (Right on Top C in the former location of the Lighthouse Restaurant, but closed in the winters as far as I know.)

All Loretta's baked goods are excellent. Don't ask me how I know. Bread, pies, scones, you name it. Her butter tarts rival those of the Maids Cottage, Doo Doos, and the Little Tart.

Loretta's sticky buns are the best I've ever had.

20200523_150211.jpg

https://www.muskokaaccents.ca

Thanks for update now,  I can swing into memories when in area and try sticky bins.

23 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Thanks for update now,  I can swing into memories when in area and try sticky bins.

Loretta's is a mile south of Memories.

Edited by Blake G

14 hours ago, catinental couch said:

It was a lot more fun on a bike in the 60’s. It is a straight super highway now compared to what it used to be. 

I bet. It still has some fairly sharp turns coming from parry sound on way to Orville. Glad I had power steering, since I had my trailer behind after stopping at wb’s to get four wheeler picked up. My uncle lives just off that highway now too, just past Orville on east side. Bakery will be missed by him no doubt. I let him know about new one that Blake mentioned. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I drove by the hotel Sunday, and stopped to  chat with three people at a house across the street.

One of the guys said there was supposed to be a sale closing November 4th, but the deal fell apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Did you social distance?. B)

As always. Ten feet.

14 hours ago, Blake G said:

I drove by the hotel Sunday, and stopped to  chat with three people at a house across the street.

One of the guys said there was supposed to be a sale closing November 4th, but the deal fell apart.

That’s too bad. Good location but building is dated no doubt. With covid even restaurant is a tough business to revive in area. Someone will buy it snd turn it into apartments and be done with resturant I think. 

Maybe it's time for a career change and I should buy it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Maybe it's time for a career change and I should buy it.

I think it is over priced. Not much land with it too, small gravel parking lot. Building a heritage building which is a pita to work on. Never let anyone tear it down either. If it had a few acres it would be a great spot for a microbrew beside it. Great location just too small in today’s standards. Hence why it is still available! 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Make a ridiculously low ball offer... they just may take it. You never know... it's been for sale for a while.