Sprucedale Hotel is for sale

Blake G

I noticed the hotel is up for sale.

$359,000

The current owner took over last winter.

Edited by Blake G

We were near there in Sept on the ATV and it was closed then.  We knew that, so packed a lunch with us and ate at the community center.  Got talking with a local and he told us he lost the liquor licence.

On July 20th, the owner posted on Facebook that the liquor licence had been pulled. July 26th he posted the hotel was closed for renovations. Not sure what happened after that.....

blake

tell me you haven't thought about buying that place ? what da offer ? so up your alley..get booze ticket back pronto...ease into edibles...dancers few times a wk...anyhow lets talk

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think from my experience with cruising through Sprucedale on my Harley many times this past summer,it was very quiet. Not many people out and about during the week.Weekends were busier but i think it would be tough to carry/support the hotel during the summer months.You would probably have to offer an Atv package that included a room upstairs and meals. The winter is a different story as the Top trail passes right by it. The food wasn't always the best but it had hot coffee and was a nice place to warm up at when out sledding.Hopefully it is sold soon and the Sprucedale hotel opens for winter.  :)     

We tend to go to the little place across the road. The last time I was in the hotel I ordered chili. It came luke warm and then found it still had a frozen lump in the middle. One of the people in our party of 6... they forgot to bring his order completely but brought all of our bills a minute or two after serving our food.

From what our customers who live in Sprucedale told us this summer, this seems to be another case of someone with no food or bar experience, having some money to throw around in a small town bought this place and ran it only for a few months.  It was hugely popular with seniors for playing cards and fish and chips on fridays.  No skilled staff on site and the liquor license was pulled quickly.  The owner is a professional touring poker player and has made no attempt to run it properly.    Lots of people love the idea of having their own pub or small historic hotel but they dont realize that for the most part these are money pits in small rural areas.  It would cost a fortune to renovate to fire marshall safety standards to rent out upstairs rooms   Same with the hotel pub in burks falls, 3rd people in running it since a year ago.  No upstairs rooms available there either but the pub is currently open 7 days a week for those that make it over to this town, just a few minutes from Sprucedale.

22 hours ago, 02Sled said:

We tend to go to the little place across the road. The last time I was in the hotel I ordered chili. It came luke warm and then found it still had a frozen lump in the middle. One of the people in our party of 6... they forgot to bring his order completely but brought all of our bills a minute or two after serving our food.

I think the place across the road closed own earlier this year also.

4 hours ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

The owner is a professional touring poker player and has made no attempt to run it properly. 

I noticed a lot of that on the facebook page when I was searching for a place to stop at with the ATV.  Lots of poker posts, and not much about the hotel.

4 hours ago, KearneyCookhouse said:

The owner is a professional touring poker player and has made no attempt to run it properly. 

It's odd because he served us and even though it was the lunch rush the food was good and he seemed to genuinely want to know how our experience was.  

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

I think the place across the road closed own earlier this year also.

I noticed a lot of that on the facebook page when I was searching for a place to stop at with the ATV.  Lots of poker posts, and not much about the hotel.

It can be really tough for some of these small places in remote locations to make a enough to stay in business.

• Like 1

Restaurant business is tough in the best of times.  Will try and plan a few stops this season 

• Like 1

Good chili last winter.

Edited by Blake G

12 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

For someone who is Very Careful about saying “never”, I “strongly doubt” I will EVER go back in that place.  

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

even with yet another set of owners?

I agree with you Wildbil. I will stop at  The Jolly Roger and if Sprucedale is sold and open i will also stop there.I always give new owners a chance. The past is the past .We as snowmobilers need to support these local establishments so that their doors can stay open. I like to have options on places to stop when i want to warm up and have a bite to eat.Holding grudges against a place because your soup was bad 5years ago with the previous owners is pretty narrow minded.

Edited by snowchopper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wildbill said:

even with yet another set of owners?

I'm always willing to give new owners a try. Hopefully they will be more successful. Even if things aren't ideal on the first time with the new owners I will usually come back one more time chalking it up to a learning curve.

• Like 1

I generally give a place 2 trys before I call it quits on the place.

1st try might be be not great due to who knows, after the 2nd try I generally don't go back, EVER!!!

I actually liked the new owner. he was a nice and genuine guy but you could see he had managerial issues. Food was ok .

Only thing that ticked me off is in between service on a busy day some locals and the owners were out  "smoking" in the parking lot. Never a good sign.

11 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I actually liked the new owner. he was a nice and genuine guy but you could see he had managerial issues. Food was ok .

Only thing that ticked me off is in between service on a busy day some locals and the owners were out  "smoking" in the parking lot. Never a good sign.

Parking lot? We were on the back deck.