Heavy Boots?

Ox

I may have asked this in the past, IDK, but I didn't find a pic of my boots in my file, so I'm guessing "not":

One of these days I will be needing to update my boot situation. Hopefully these boots will last me several more years yet, especially if I refrain from kicking frozen things with them. I have had the toe open up once and it is currently superglue'd together, and has lasted very well ever since, but ....

The thing is that I want big, heavy, and water tight boots that go up the leg. The bulk of sledding boots these days are these short things, and the tall ones that I find are thin. All for the sake of keeping them light. I'm NOT a snow-boarder!

I had a pair of Sorel Glacier's back in the day, and while they are great at keeping you warm, I did have those days when powder that would get up between the boot and the britches would melt, and then seep through the fabric, and be damp by end of day. I also stuffed them through the ice on the KB north of Dub near the bank after dark at -30 when we were checking the ice to be the first acrost for the year. Well, what if you was then stuck out in the bush overnight or longer now - with damp feet?

So somewhere around 2000 I'd say - Sorel came out with the same boot, but the outside shell was rubber the whole way up, and they took the same liners and everything - like the Glacier's did. I believe that they called them "Ice Fisher's"? I bought a pair, and have loved them ever since, but Sorel did not make them very long, and then Sorel went out of business, and the Chinc's then bought the name and ......

I found a link to "The 10 best ice fishing boots" and most of them are just lace up shoes (low top boots?) or - the ones that are tall, are "thin and light" and at best - brag about 7mm of Thinsulate, and none seem to have removable liners so's that you can dry them out overnight.

I have only ever seen two other guys that wore this same boot, and that was Mark Gosslin from Hearst and Steve Bonne from Halfway Haven. Steve lived in his for several years! And Mark is a hero that has ridden to Resolute, and Shirley knows a thing'r two about keeping warm and dry. And knowing how briefly they made this boot, I was always amazed when I seen someone else wearing them. Because I have these, I am always the one who checks conditions in swampy areas, or crossings or whatnot.

I am looking for the opposite of "light and fast". I want to be able to stuff a hoof through a beaver dam and not be afeared of having to head straight for town or truck post haste. I have heard mention some years ago that LaCross had something comparable, but I didn't find anything there currently that fit the bill, but possibly the Titan from Baffin. There's not much info aboot the boot on their site, but it seems like it may be close. 

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/23550000

Does anyone know of any other comparable product on the market these days?

DSCN2222_zpsd1fthvr2.jpg

Edited by Ox

I'm treating my boots with respect, as I have looked at today's offerings, and live in fear of having to spend so much on such a compromise.

I need some support, warmth, and a rockered sole, in case I actually have to walk more than a few yards.

I suspect a high end hunting boot, (not camo...) is my only hope in the future.

Likely with some sort of help in the heat department to make up for the lack of insulation.

Edited by manotickmike

My son ice fishes and he purchased a pair of ex military style boots commonly called 'mickey mouse' boots.  He picked them up at Novi a couple of years ago and loves them.  They appear to be a heavy 'rubber' boot with little to no insulation, but are designed for other layers for warmth.

Mickey Mouse boots are typically short, and while the air bladder in them is said to offer very good warmth, I would expect that I would fill the top full of snow all too often.

Unless the military started using a high top version that I haven't seen before?

Actually, a little quick research, shows that these boots are air insulated to temperatures to -20F and below.  They are designed so that of you get them filled with water, you can just dump it out and continue on, as the insulation is still dry.  I just did a search for mickey mouse military boots and found this location https://www.mickeymouseboots.com/pages/faq

I found a sales ad that states that they are 11.5" tall, so 2.5" shorter than mine.

They may be a go-to if nothing else comes up, but I'd rather go taller than shorter.

OK.  That is my only suggestion as I am leaning toward a lighter boot rather than what you are after.  Not criticizing, just different strokes.  Good luck with your search and let us know what you find as I don't doubt that others may be looking for something similar.

• Like 1

Actually - another option is always to just use a pair of pull-over LaCross chore boots over some otherwise warm boots.

If I'm outside in the snow around home, I wear a pair of chore boots over a reg pair of old Red Wings and I am always fine.

So building on that principal is an option as well, and those are just over 14" tall too.

Only catch is that they don't keep the bottom of your feet off the snow like the Sorel's doo. 

The Sorels keep your hoof a full inch off the ice I think with a few layers below.

The baffin boots are fantastic.

I'm on my 3rd pair.

The first pair got a little warm drying over the stove at camp and warped really bad, 2nd ones developed a hole where the suspension bolts come through the tunnel.

They are very very warm and waterproof.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, soupkids said:

The baffin boots are fantastic.

I'm on my 3rd pair.

The first pair got a little warm drying over the stove at camp and warped really bad, 2nd ones developed a hole where the suspension bolts come through the tunnel.

They are very very warm and waterproof.

I agree. I'm still on my first pair which are  10+ years old. They are still warm and dry.

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I agree. I'm still on my first pair which are  10+ years old. They are still warm and dry.

Well, there's no spec's on the website - other than -100* 

Same as the Sorels are rated for. :rolleyes:

You can git cool in them at -40* if you're out long enough....

Can you weigh a pair of them and check overall height for me?

(no hurry, I'm not expecting to buy a pair today)

14 minutes ago, Ox said:

Well, there's no spec's on the website - other than -100* 

Same as the Sorels are rated for. :rolleyes:

You can git cool in them at -40* if you're out long enough....

Can you weigh a pair of them and check overall height for me?

(no hurry, I'm not expecting to buy a pair today)

I don't think mine are what you are looking for. They are 12" tall overall but the water would start coming in at 10 inches. They weigh a little over a pound each.

Yours are not the ones in the link above then? (Titan)

Baffin Titan for the past 4 years. Great boot. Will not hesitate to buy again when replacements are needed. Bought a pair for my wife last month. 

Measured my Baffin Titans.

15 inches high.

7.2 pounds for the pair.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blake G said:

15 inches high.

7.2 pounds for the pair.

Doo the liners pull out of them?

Yep. I take them out occasionally. Maybe ten times last winter in 11,000 kms of riding.

• Like 1

And the price is quite reasonable at Royal Distributing. I think about $130.

I take it that you retired in '13?

I'm wonderin' if that Colt 175 in your sig is the same as the TC175 in mine? (Town and Country)

Shirley you didn't ride that?

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

I have a pair of heavy Baffins that are similar to there "Meltwater" rubber boot with the wetsuit type material half way up. Although mine are rated -50 with toe protection and the model they have now is only -20. I got 5 seasons on them and they're still perfect. I even use them at work in the winter. Never got a soaker or cold feet yet. If i were to replace them i'd get the new model and a wear a thicker sock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ox said:

I take it that you retired in '13?

I'm wonderin' if that Colt 175 in your sig is the same as the TC175 in mine? (Town and Country)

Shirley you didn't ride that?

Yes, January 31, 2013.

My dad bought us a brand new 1973 Polaris TC 175 Colt when I was 13. What a great little machine. I found and bought a 1972 model a couple of years ago. Gotta say I flatten out the suspension when I ride it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Hey OX google " Nats Boots". They carry a few styles similar to what you have shown.Saw them at my local Polaris dealer. Look like they are well built. 

Thanks.

They don't seem to be targeting quite the snow and ice market.

More the everyday working environment. 

But thanks for the heads up!

Blake: 

That means that you retired @ 53?

What's up with you Canuks?

An old sledding chum just retired from the Tar Sands, and I guess him at 50.

Maybe I need to move N of 49?

My dad bought me that 1975 TC175 new in early 1976 when I was 9. (I think he wanted his sled back)

I think the chassis is likely a little smaller than the Colt, but not sure.

It was a GREAT sled for kids. Finally Cat has the 200 out these days that comes close to this sled, but the 175 would roll 45mph, and the new 200's won't come close to that as I understand.

I couldn't keep up with the liquids at the time out in the fields, but once in the woods - you couldn't shake me at all! :D

• Like 1

Ox I can relate, if only I knew real boot co's were going to fold up and turn into labels stuck on junk I would have bought a lifetime supply. I have one good pair of glaciers left and they are only for riding in dry, cold conditions. I used to wear BOSS brand rubber w felt liner similar to the Kamick ( Kamik? ) brand sold at CTC but the BOSS brand were big, wide, and considerably warmer and full rubber. My ice fishing boots. Best of all they were cheap.

The Baffin wannabe replacements are 3x the price and the rubber just aint the same its been refined and the good flexi stuff has been removed or they are made out of recycled stuff I dunno but they sure dont make em like they used too :lol:

Gonna have to try the Baffins out i guess

On 10/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, Blake G said:

15 inches high.

7.2 pounds for the pair.

Actually, that appears to be a bit heavier than my Sorels # 6.6#

So - that's good. Their built solid!

• Like 1