Jolly Roger /Super 8

Wildbill

Thanks Slomo. I was asking because a group of lady friends that usually do the Kelly Shires B=Cancer run won't being doing it do to the run being cancelled this year. However i guess they can still contribute by doing their own run by documenting it and Keiiy Shires will then accept the donation money.They have talked about the Trappers Choice. Have you heard anything about that place and their accomodations? Thanks...

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Looks like there is some new construction at the old Whitmore (sp?) close by Grundy Lake park entrance and across the street from the trail. Sledjunk found the rooms a bit small there, but maybe with renovations the place is going to improve. Liked the restaurant myself.

Whitfield.& I think you mean Oastler Lake PP. Grundy Lake PP is up past Key River.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Thanks Slomo. I was asking because a group of lady friends that usually do the Kelly Shires B=Cancer run won't being doing it do to the run being cancelled this year. However i guess they can still contribute by doing their own run by documenting it and Keiiy Shires will then accept the donation money.They have talked about the Trappers Choice. Have you heard anything about that place and their accomodations? Thanks...

Trappers Choice is a little rough getting too. You have to run the sidewalk through the GM dealer and a well plowed No Frills parking lot. It is only accessible from the north. Food is good.I haven't been in the rooms in 30 yrs ..Canadian Tire Gas bar next door. Timmies within walking distance.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Whitfield.& I think you mean Oastler Lake PP. Grundy Lake PP is up past Key River.

Yes, that is correct. Not sure how I got those two mixed -  have camped at both.

10 hours ago, snowchopper said:

I should also mention Grand Tapatoo....has been through a couple of name changes but might still be upscale enough for the women...

http://www.grandtappattoo.com

gtserider is correct about the Trapper's Choice regards the difficulty of access....the Alt C trail runs behind the (former) Parry Sound Mall and it is sometimes thin with any warm spell, not to mention the large parking lot you need to cross. I am going to take a look at that area sometime as we used to trailer and drop from the PSMall parking lot and head to the Nobel area. There have been significant changes to the proximate intersection which might hinder sled travel - use to be a pathway in front of the GM dealer, now I am not sure about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Keiiy Shires will then accept the donation money.

Probably belongs in the Rant thread but why do these charities insist on torturing people? Run up to the top of the CN Tower and then send money to a charity? Just send money. Unless of course you have a charity for those who ruptured themselves, suffered muscle and bone injuries, or had a heart attack while participating in a charity fund raising event. Hmmm.... too bad all the good ribbon colours have been used up....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gtserider said:

Trappers Choice is a little rough getting too. You have to run the sidewalk through the GM dealer and a well plowed No Frills parking lot. It is only accessible from the north. Food is good.I haven't been in the rooms in 30 yrs ..Canadian Tire Gas bar next door. Timmies within walking distance.

Thanks GT for confirming what i thought.  I have told my friend that  i've been by it in the summer on my Harley and i couldn't see a easy way to Trappers Den.I will pass this on thanks...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Probably belongs in the Rant thread but why do these charities insist on torturing people? Run up to the top of the CN Tower and then send money to a charity? Just send money. Unless of course you have a charity for those who ruptured themselves, suffered muscle and bone injuries, or had a heart attack while participating in a charity fund raising event. Hmmm.... too bad all the good ribbon colours have been used up....

Seems funny to me also .But i was told they are to film/document the ride. I'am thinking that Kelly Shires might use the footage for future advertisement.:wtf:

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Knockers Bikini Run for Charity might be an exception.

Thanks for the access comments about the Trappers Choice.

8 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Grand Tapatoo might still be upscale enough for women????

That is a pretty ritzy joint. I wonder what standards you use? 

That was a "best guess" CC ...ms. slomo and I have stayed in motels with snow blowing up through a hole in the floor, (Manning, AB and darned if I didn't get stuck there again one time as there was a rodeo in town) lodgings in remote northern communities where you might end up with a complete stranger sharing your double room, and up to some pretty fancy places particularly in Quebec in the winter.  I can only say that given some of the complaints I read on various reviews of accommodation, (a certain brand of hair conditioner FFS? I just want a bar of soap that doesn't disappear up the crack of my ass) Grand Tapatoo stands a good chance of being OK. With women. persons. Peoplekind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2021 at 7:07 PM, snowchopper said:

I Dont think it was mentioned, but the Log Cabin Inn, off the 209 is a pretty nice spot.   Wife and i usually hit there once a year for a nice dinner and stay.   Rooms are nice and the food is good.  It is listed on the sled map.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, snowman said:

I Dont think it was mentioned, but the Log Cabin Inn, off the 209 is a pretty nice spot.   Wife and i usually hit there once a year for a nice dinner and stay.   Rooms are nice and the food is good.  It is listed on the sled map.

Thanks i will pass this on to them.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 4:41 PM, slomo said:

Fairly busy during hunting season - looked closed yesterday driving by but probably temporarily due to lock down. It is now a Super 8 - a search might turn it up as another brand - Quality Inn? Join hotel rewards and get some points. Best to give them a call - would echo 02sled's concern about an open restaurant as it is not near anything else for food. 

Deal at facebook page listing for PDSD:

https://www.facebook.com/ParrySoundSnowmobileDistrict/

In sort of the same neighbourhood - H and H resort and restaurant on trial has restaurant - lots of trailer parking down by the restaurant but need sherpas to carry your stuff up to the motel rooms though:

http://hhresort.ca

Found another one - Log Cabin Inn - on the trail close by - won't post prices ? 

https://www.logcabininn.net

Looks like there is some new construction at the old Whitmore (sp?) close by Grundy Lake park entrance and across the street from the trail. Sledjunk found the rooms a bit small there, but maybe with renovations the place is going to improve. Liked the restaurant myself.

My wife and I have been to the Log Cabin Inn for dinner. It's a bit upscale and the prices reflect that. If I recall dinner for the 2 of us a few years ago ended up just over $100 then add tip.

H&H has always been busy every time we have stopped there for lunch. They also have gas available and there is a side trail that runs off of the main trail to get to the resort. Large parking lot for trucks and trailers as well.

23 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Whoa!!!! Too politically correct for this cat!!!

And TMI LOL!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My wife and I have been to the Log Cabin Inn for dinner. It's a bit upscale and the prices reflect that. If I recall dinner for the 2 of us a few years ago ended up just over $100 then add tip.

H&H has always been busy every time we have stopped there for lunch. They also have gas available and there is a side trail that runs off of the main trail to get to the resort. Large parking lot for trucks and trailers as well.

Dinner for $100.00 plus tip ??? Sign me up!!!

I can take the grandkids to MacDonalds and it is nearly $80.00!!!  Dinner that cheap at Log Cabin would be a bonus. I have spent $160.00 for dinner for just my wife and I at a nice but ho hum restaurant. 

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Where and when does this event take place?. :wtf:What?. 

The polar bear plunge that's normally held near the Gus Ryder Pool in Toronto?

:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Where and when does this event take place?. :wtf:What?. 

Best I can figure it is a Breast Cancer charity run with a catch. Despite the cold weather the corn feed cheeseheads from Wisconsin do a Kelly Shires type run. Appropriately Knockers is a local brewery that sponsors the event.        I t is a weekend gathering that raises a large sum of cash for the pink ribbon campaign.I imagine it is in late winter early spring considering the attire.

15 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Dinner for $100.00 plus tip ??? Sign me up!!!

I can take the grandkids to MacDonalds and it is nearly $80.00!!!  Dinner that cheap at Log Cabin would be a bonus. I have spent $160.00 for dinner for just my wife and I at a nice but ho hum restaurant. 

I had found it reasonable for what you get.  Seemed the same prices as tapatoo, only the rooms were nicer we had thought.  And yes it seems like a crap meal at mc d's is over 15$  now..haha......cheap=no nice=YES

57 minutes ago, snowman said:

I had found it reasonable for what you get.  Seemed the same prices as tapatoo, only the rooms were nicer we had thought.  And yes it seems like a crap meal at mc d's is over 15$  now..haha......cheap=no nice=YES

Pandemic has gone on tooo long when you haven't been to a fast food restaurant in months, the  MacD's discount coupons arrive in the mail, and a Big Mac is looking really good.