Jolly Roger /Super 8

Wildbill

Finally new owners with some pride. This once proud landmark may well have a future again! The new owner Anu has invited the club to base our groomers and fuel tanks there again as well as having given us the full use of the shop for service. 

Our family went there for dinner tonight and it was quite good the restaurant and bar are both freshly painted and very clean. They are understaffed as they will have to attract a whole new team as the old owner had run it right into the ground. Over all I am impressed and optimistic. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the insight.  I'll put it on the list of places to stay this winter.

That's good to hear Bill. You've been careful what you've told us in the past, but not impressed nonetheless.

Hopefully it returns to the destination it once was.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

That's good to hear Bill. You've been careful what you've told us in the past, but not impressed nonetheless.

Hopefully it returns to the destination it once was.

Good folks trying very hard it be a long haul for them however I feel that they need some support as well as deserving it 

• Like 2

Very positive news.  Hope it turns around quickly.

• Like 1

We'll also pop in this winter. 

Wonderful trail riding, and memories of a wonderful oc.com gathering. 

• Like 2

so many fond memories over the years, I'm glad it is under ownership who cares !

• Like 1

Great news. The last time I was there was less than stellar. I asked about the on site restaurant and was told yes... got there and it was closed. TV wasn't working and there was nothing they could do since maintenance had left for the day. Promised it would be fixed while we were out riding. It wasn't and maintenance again wasn't available. No matter how hard you try things will go wrong. When that happens make it right.

I'll be there this winter to support the new owners that support us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Their first order of business is to put up big signs stating under new ownership if they haven't already.

Great to here they are allowing club to use facility again.

Wishing new ownership all the best.

On 10/13/2019 at 9:41 PM, Wildbill said:

Finally new owners with some pride. This once proud landmark may well have a future again! The new owner Anu has invited the club to base our groomers and fuel tanks there again as well as having given us the full use of the shop for service. 

Our family went there for dinner tonight and it was quite good the restaurant and bar are both freshly painted and very clean. They are understaffed as they will have to attract a whole new team as the old owner had run it right into the ground. Over all I am impressed and optimistic. 

That's great news Bill, last time I was there with the old owners the place was not too inviting, they had pluming problem, water was brown, could not give a bath to my 2 girls.   I had been there with the owner before and it was night and day... glad new ownership now.   

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

That's great news Bill, last time I was there with the old owners the place was not too inviting, they had pluming problem, water was brown, could not give a bath to my 2 girls.   I had been there with the owner before and it was night and day... glad new ownership now.   

Hey Luc-how much snow up your way?

• 1 month later...

We always liked the convenience of the Jolly Roger.The trails in that area are among the best within our preferred distance for trailering. Can anyone confirm that the new owners of JR are opening up with improved conditions ? Sure would like to support them when the snow arrives !

5 hours ago, bucko said:

We always liked the convenience of the Jolly Roger.The trails in that area are among the best within our preferred distance for trailering. Can anyone confirm that the new owners of JR are opening up with improved conditions ? Sure would like to support them when the snow arrives !

I would be willing to give the new owners a shot... One big consideration would be that the restaurant be open. Ideally for breakfast and dinner. It's a big negative to have to drive to Parry Sound at the start and end of the day hoping that when you get back someone hasn't parked in front of your trailer you left behind. It happened the last time I was there. Waited 2 1/2 hours beyond when we wanted to go home for the guy to come back and he was.... oh, did I block you in?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

Anu is a good guy and is trying so hard he has spent more than most folks retirement savings on this restoration of the JR. I believe in his efforts.

Great news. Hopefully his efforts pay off and he has a good winter season. Great location for us southern riders. 

I agree with 02sled , the restaurant is a must. The signage and online info needs a serious redo. Make it clean and tasty - they will come !

2 hours ago, bucko said:

I agree with 02sled , the restaurant is a must. The signage and online info needs a serious redo. Make it clean and tasty - they will come !

Even if it just a breakfast option.  Give you a good start to the day, and have lunch and supper before returning to the hotel for the evening.

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Even if it just a breakfast option.  Give you a good start to the day, and have lunch and supper before returning to the hotel for the evening.

Last time we went there was sad... they told me they had an onsite restaurant. We got there on the Friday looking for dinner and the restaurant was closed. It was 6:30. No breakfast the next morning. Saturday was open for dinner but the menu was limited and the food was cold when it arrived. The remote for the TV didn't work and there was nothing they could do as maintenance was gone for the day. They would take care of it while we were out the next day... they didn't.

That was the OLD Jolly Roger....

The location and trails were ideal so giving the new owner a chance is only fair. It's almost impossible to be any worse than it was. Fingers crossed for a positive experience upcomimg

@02Sled Some people have NO business running a motel or restaurant...

See my experience from the Silversands in '13...

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Was wondering if The Jolly Roger Inn is up and running ?.  Some friends were thinking of staying there later this winter.Thanks... 

Fairly busy during hunting season - looked closed yesterday driving by but probably temporarily due to lock down. It is now a Super 8 - a search might turn it up as another brand - Quality Inn? Join hotel rewards and get some points. Best to give them a call - would echo 02sled's concern about an open restaurant as it is not near anything else for food. 

Deal at facebook page listing for PDSD:

https://www.facebook.com/ParrySoundSnowmobileDistrict/

super8.thumb.jpg.a371bdfb184fde6bebc25a2534a81e15.jpg

In sort of the same neighbourhood - H and H resort and restaurant on trial has restaurant - lots of trailer parking down by the restaurant but need sherpas to carry your stuff up to the motel rooms though:

http://hhresort.ca

Found another one - Log Cabin Inn - on the trail close by - won't post prices ? 

https://www.logcabininn.net

Looks like there is some new construction at the old Whitmore (sp?) close by Grundy Lake park entrance and across the street from the trail. Sledjunk found the rooms a bit small there, but maybe with renovations the place is going to improve. Liked the restaurant myself.

Edited by slomo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1