2020 Permit Gift Cards

Big Pete

Was not able to attend the AGM this year, so I am wondering if anybody has seen, or knows, what the details around this program are? I know it’s going to solve a lot of problems with getting clean sled data. There should be no need to enter incorrect sled data just to take advantage of early bird pricing anymore. Or trying to buy a permit as a gift when you don’t know the sled details. 

Just hoping it doesn’t open a different can of worms.

Edited by Big Pete

MTO Minister Mulroney announced as part of her keynote address that gift cards would be available this year.  She didn't provide any details, though.

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Hmm.  Is it just monetary value? Or do I get early bird pricing essentially extended on a permit that won't be official until the card is redeemed?

I'd be willing to bet that it will be just monetary value. The logistics of mixing early bird pricing and regular pricing after Nov.1 would likely cause havoc based on some of our previous experiences. 

This was just posted on the OFSC Facebook page 

In addition to the long-term funding, Minister Mulroney announced that online driver training would be available in October and that Ontarians would soon be able to purchase gifts cards and redeem them for a permit, locking in the permit price at the time of gift card purchase. 

still need to see the nitty gritty on this. 

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

In addition to the long-term funding, Minister Mulroney announced that online driver training would be available in October and that Ontarians would soon be able to purchase gifts cards and redeem them for a permit, locking in the permit price at the time of gift card purchase. 

I would think that you would have to by on or before the increase dates(pre Nov 1st and Dec 1st), to get that value credit to the gift card. I would think that there would be a serial number affixed to the gift card that would need to match with the purchase using the gift card. Easy enough to track, and the money would already be debited on the purchase of the gift card.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, Big Pete said:

I was at the AGM and I didn't hear her say anything about locking in the permit price at the time of gift card purchase

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I was at the AGM and I didn't hear her say anything about locking in the permit price at the time of gift card purchase

02, I have watched the video of her presentation at AGM and would agree with your comment. But at the same time when this idea was first broached the intent was for people that 1) wanted to give a permit as gift or 2) had spring ordered a sled and could not get the VIN before the lapse of the early bird pricing, or 3) otherwise did not have the sled details, could buy their permit early and effectively take delivery at a later date. 

So the OFSC comment would appear to meet the original intent. What we don’t know are the details around the process and/or any requirements or restrictions.

The devil will be in the detail on this. 

Vouchers will be available for full season regular and classic permits. If you buy pre Nov 1, they can be used anytime in season. i. e. pay $190 in October, redeem for full permit anytime even if you are after the November and December increases. 

The voucher must be linked to an email address that is in the permit system, the one you use to login when buying. This is to avoid someone buying a dozen vouchers in October and reselling later when the price has gone up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bearcat_w said:

Vouchers will be available for full season regular and classic permits. If you buy pre Nov 1, they can be used anytime in season. i. e. pay $190 in October, redeem for full permit anytime even if you are after the November and December increases. 

The voucher must be linked to an email address that is in the permit system, the one you use to login when buying. This is to avoid someone buying a dozen vouchers in October and reselling later when the price has gone up. 

Bearcat, thanks for the additional info. So if I want to buy a permit for my son for Christmas, I will need to ensure he has a profile in the system to link the voucher to? What if I don’t have a profile in the system? Will I need to create one even if I might not be sledder? 

Thanks

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, TURBO DOO said:

Just did my ordering with the gift card. Worked great online. Will see if it arrives!...

Did mine on Monday arrived Friday 

• Like 1