Apsley Area 2020 Season

revrnd

Well the township had McFaddens Rd paved this summer. So I'm assuming that it will be plowed bare just like every other paved road in the township.

Might as well live in downtown Huntsville for all the township does for sledders. I'm pretty sure none of the councillors snowmobile...

This will result in brutal 'sledding' on the 747 trail from E107 east to the cutoff for gas.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:34 AM, revrnd said:

Well the township had McFaddens Rd paved this summer. So I'm assuming that it will be plowed bare just like every other paved road in the township.

Might as well live in downtown Huntsville for all the township does for sledders. I'm pretty sure none of the councillors snowmobile...

This will result in brutal 'sledding' on the 747 trail from E107 east to the cutoff for gas.

Well that blows..Sucks to hear..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 12:34 AM, revrnd said:

'Im pretty sure none of the councillors snowmobile...

....but family members own paving companies.

( Kidding!) That was a local joke when another township went on a paving spree years ago. Nobody could make sense of why infrequently used gravel roads were paved. 

10 hours ago, Canuck said:

....but family members own paving companies.

( Kidding!) That was a local joke when another township went on a paving spree years ago. Nobody could make sense of why infrequently used gravel roads were paved. 

LOL

The 'mayor' operates (doesn't own) a small marina. Hubby builds docks which the previous mayor had tried to get a bylaw passed to limit their size (see floating cottages).

The deputy 'mayor' is a retired carpet salesman...

• 3 months later...

Update on E107. There has been a slight change to the trail north of Highway 28 by the McFaddens Road intersection. The trail will revert to a previous route north of FR #80 (Boundary Road) & cross the marsh behind Tuckers Marine.

20191221_115645-1.thumb.jpg.2efb9a6d8fa1957a4cb9561d93011153.jpg

• 1 month later...

The blue track is the new route:

image.png.30af50f0cc162fc80580bd7c745238c4.png

Surprisingly McFaddens Road has been decent for road running. A minimal amount of sand has been applied so far this season.

Rode down thru E107 yesterday. I saw south of the McKay Lake Road that the snowfencing has been knocked down and the TRAIL CLOSED sign has been ignored.

The landowner is aware of this.

THE FORMER PTB 632 TRAIL IS CLOSED! ANYONE USING IT TO ACCESS THE RESTAURANT IS TRESPASSING. THIS MAY AFFECT EFFORTS IN THE FUTURE.

• Sad 1

For those wondering if the bridge construction on Highway 28 is causing SLSR 704 to be closed, it appears no. Lots of room for sleds, but not sure how a groomer will get thru in the future as the overhead clearance is reduced w/ the new bridge.20200126_151657-1.thumb.jpg.55913df4866af74969ed7052a0338f1b.jpg20200126_151754-1.thumb.jpg.29f24dc30b983fedaf7015352d352160.jpg

And no I wasn't on my sled.

Is there still parking at the community centre on McFadden in Apsley? Is there enough snow on the 747 to get to the E107?

Thanks for any info

10 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

Is there still parking at the community centre on McFadden in Apsley? Is there enough snow on the 747 to get to the E107?

Thanks for any info

Yes parking is available @ the rink. I rode 747 to E107 yesterday. It was fine. Just down the Jack's Lake Rd in the truck & there are sled tracks over the hill to 747.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Visited the general area this past weekend. 

Day 1 Limerick Lake to Forest Access to McAuther Mills down the MP 1006 to E101 to MP1009 back to the 960 across Limerick Lake a little over 100 miles

Day 2 Limerick Lake to the Tower Trail, across Cashell Lake and back via the Maze.  Trail between Limerick lake and Devil's Lake was groomed!

Day 3 B016E to the E to Coe Hill and out the E trail all the way to the Silent Lake trail turn off and back the same way. A lot of confused snowmobilers thinking they can make it to Bancroft via the 110 which is partially closed.

Day 4 B016E down to the 961, over to the Ice Wall, up the 910 and over Glen Alda to Egan Creek and up to the E trail and onwards to Bancroft to the Granite.  Nice run down the B106E to Trudys and back to camp.

Trails were 9-10 throughout.

1 hour ago, WEFusion900 said:

Visited the general area this past weekend. 

Day 1 Limerick Lake to Forest Access to McAuther Mills down the MP 1006 to E101 to MP1009 back to the 960 across Limerick Lake a little over 100 miles

Day 2 Limerick Lake to the Tower Trail, across Cashell Lake and back via the Maze.  Trail between Limerick lake and Devil's Lake was groomed!

Day 3 B016E to the E to Coe Hill and out the E trail all the way to the Silent Lake trail turn off and back the same way. A lot of confused snowmobilers thinking they can make it to Bancroft via the E110 which is partially closed.

Day 4 B016E down to the 961, over to the Ice Wall, up the 910 and over Glen Alda to Egan Creek and up to the E trail and onwards to Bancroft to the Granite.  Nice run down the B106E to Trudys and back to camp.

Trails were 9-10 throughout.

Obviously the revised D2 map, the ITG & the notices we've added to the maps aren't helping. 

Over the years I've been amazed about the number of sledders that I've crossed paths w/ that have no idea where there are, nor have any maps w/ them...

Talking to 1 of my friends that is an operator for the roads department. I told him I appreciated the snow that was being left on McFaddens Rd. He said they weren't salting it as they wanted to surface to last as long as possible. I told him the County should adopt that policy as the main street was paved a year ago...

thinking I might come up that way tomorrow... I want to hit the trails down to Stoney and up to Paudash while they are green

58 minutes ago, barberch said:

thinking I might come up that way tomorrow... I want to hit the trails down to Stoney and up to Paudash while they are green

I won't be around on Thur', but would like to go riding on Fri' if you're looking for someone to ride w/.

21 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I won't be around on Thur', but would like to go riding on Fri' if you're looking for someone to ride w/.

too bad. My original plan was for friday but I had to change it because I have to help out and work a couple night shifts .

• Sad 1

I think the confusion comes in where the blue destination signs still show that destination is available from that intersection.  Probably should have them covered.

Ha ha, met a guy by the Ice wall that was headed to Lake of Bays Monday with only his phone - it was about 1 pm - he had no map.  called me old school...

had a great ride today out of Apsley. down to Stoney, across Kassabog, up to Chandos, Paudash ( missed the right turn to Malcolm Road so ended up riding the side of the road up to E110) thru Cardiff, across Baptiste, then up to the E and back thru Harcourt and back to Apsley. Trails were great! Especially Stoney Lake and Maple Leaf.   About 260 kms. Lots of people out enjoying the day.

• Like 1