Stop signs!!!

gobills

Hey everyone just want to remind everyone stop signs are there for  a reason our safety please use them.

Had a great day today until I saw an accident on the b103 coming out of Halliburton.   

The person hit a car  as they blew a stop sign.  sled was totally destroyed and burnt.  From what I know they were air lifted to the hospital.  This happened at about 3pm today.

I hope they are ok.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, gobills said:

Hey everyone just want to remind everyone stop signs are there for  a reason our safety please use them.

Had a great day today until I saw an accident on the b103 coming out of Halliburton.   

The person hit a car  as they blew a stop sign.  sled was totally destroyed and burnt.  From what I know they were air lifted to the hospital.  This happened at about 3pm today.

I hope they are ok.

I remember my parents taught me...look both ways before you cross the road. The helmets reduce peripheral vision so it's even more important. I hope the rider comes out of it okay.

I find the stop signs a tad small and missed a few here and there.Down south here there is 1 every minute or so and gets kinda monotonous although I ride at a good pace and I’m getting older(52)

Stop ahead sign is the most important it should be twice the size . Easy enough to do phase them in. 

2 hours ago, brodhagenbullet said:

I find the stop signs a tad small and missed a few here and there.Down south here there is 1 every minute or so and gets kinda monotonous although I ride at a good pace and I’m getting older(52)

Monotonous ? STOP means STOP. Those signs are there for a reason. Club volunteers go to great lengths with a lot of time and effort to safely and properly sign all of our trails in Ontario. This is taken very, very seriously by the clubs and the OFSC. The signs are all a standard size as mandated under the OFSC guidelines. All STOP signs are all preceded with a STOP AHEAD sign as well. I've seen a lot of people blow through Stops as if they are a major inconvenience. People have got to take these signs seriously. It is a life and death situation.

16 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Monotonous ? STOP means STOP. Those signs are there for a reason. Club volunteers go to great lengths with a lot of time and effort to safely and properly sign all of our trails in Ontario. This is taken very, very seriously by the clubs and the OFSC. The signs are all a standard size as mandated under the OFSC guidelines. All STOP signs are all preceded with a STOP AHEAD sign as well. I've seen a lot of people blow through Stops as if they are a major inconvenience. People have got to take these signs seriously. It is a life and death situation.

I only stop is there is a reason, otherwise i roll them all.

It’s real flat and open here without a lot of bush trails and some just don’t seem to catch your eye enough.I stop at all stop signs if I see them✌️

12 minutes ago, zoso said:

Agreed. And one of the reasons to stop is if you can't see. With the snowbanks on these driveways at the trail being so big this year, it is hard to see! 

I've seen some stop signs that have had to be dug out because of snow depth this year.

20 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I've seen some stop signs that have had to be dug out because of snow depth this year.

Lots of them in Northwestern Quebec last week. They were using a couple of widths of the groomer blade to clean the snow away so that you could see them on approach.

There are a lot of stops on the B103 and there are a lot of riders blowing through them... Here is the scene yesterday as reported in My Haliburton Now. 

https://www.myhaliburtonnow.com/32881/snowmobile-collision-sends-one-to-hospital/?fbclid=IwAR195uo8XJxDkxNZmilhOUinTy6VBMcBJm9TSTNS_ZPFYEsgCHXM5LM3HUA

Hope the rider makes a full recovery.

For many, get lulled into a sense of false security after stopping time after time and seeing no vehicle approaching only to have that one time you roll the sign and disaster strikes. I'm sure no one here is a 100% saint who comes to a full stop each and every time and has never exceeded 50kph on the trails and as such should have a hair more compassion when a fellow rider gets bit like this. 

Thank you to the clubs and club members who put out such a huge effort to make the trails as safe as possible.

10 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

For many, get lulled into a sense of false security after stopping time after time and seeing no vehicle approaching only to have that one time you roll the sign and disaster strikes. I'm sure no one here is a 100% saint who comes to a full stop each and every time and has never exceeded 50kph on the trails and as such should have a hair more compassion when a fellow rider gets bit like this. 

Thank you to the clubs and club members who put out such a huge effort to make the trails as safe as possible.

You are absolutely right - there are no Saints here. The B103 has a lot of Stops, and honestly, there are some that appear to have no automobile activity at all. That along with the many straight stretches where you can really get going leads to the complacency problem. I know this because I've caught myself doing it. I've always been in favor of having busier roads and highways marked with an extra sign, like HWY Crossing" or something to that effect, denoting a "busy" road and a larger Stop sign to go with it, so when you are in unfamiliar territory, you know that you had better heed the Stop. However, I'm sure that the OFSC legal department insists that all Stops are equal and a Stop is a Stop.

One small mistake can change or cut your life. Think twice before you ignore a stop sign.

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

i roll them all if no traffic and can see for sure there is not, but always am in a position to stop if there is traffic. if I cannot see the road before i have to stop, then stop i do. Have you ever come to a place where there is a missing stop sign, I have, not a good feeling when you enter a road without knowing it was there. daydreaming on long straights with lots of stops can get anyone in trouble. 

21 minutes ago, zoso said:

i roll them all if no traffic and can see for sure there is not, but always am in a position to stop if there is traffic. if I cannot see the road before i have to stop, then stop i do. Have you ever come to a place where there is a missing stop sign, I have, not a good feeling when you enter a road without knowing it was there. daydreaming on long straights with lots of stops can get anyone in trouble. 

All good. I think most of us operate like that. Like I said in a previous post, I wouldn't mind something that denotes a really important Stop, such as a highway, etc. Just want to say, though, that if you ever spot a missing Stop sign or even a Stop Ahead sign, please report it to the particular club and it would be addressed PRONTO.

I wish the injured rider a speedy recovery. I had a similar experience in Quebec back in 1990. It DOES change your life.

37 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

All good. I think most of us operate like that. Like I said in a previous post, I wouldn't mind something that denotes a really important Stop, such as a highway, etc. Just want to say, though, that if you ever spot a missing Stop sign or even a Stop Ahead sign, please report it to the particular club and it would be addressed PRONTO.

I always make a report of any stop signing missing. with phones today it is easy to know exactly where it is so you can relay accurate info to the club.You may just save a life. we have had cases where people were removing the stop signs. What kind of mental case would do such a thing?  it did take me a while to adjust to riding in the south. I used tolive where I would ride 70kms to breakfast and see one stop sign, now it is one every two minutes, lol.

13 hours ago, zoso said:

A group of us rolled a stop sign a few years ago and got ticketed for it.  Didn't see the cop just around the bend.  $110 to five of us

12 minutes ago, zoso said:

I always make a report of any stop signing missing. with phones today it is easy to know exactly where it is so you can relay accurate info to the club.You may just save a life. we have had cases where people were removing the stop signs. What kind of mental case would do such a thing?  it did take me a while to adjust to riding in the south. I used tolive where I would ride 70kms to breakfast and see one stop sign, now it is one every two minutes, lol.

Didn't you come across some arrow signs that got turned and pointed the wrong direction as well?

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Didn't you come across some arrow signs that got turned and pointed the wrong direction as well?

Ya, that one in espanola caused my buddy to flip his sled off the trail. I bet many a goof would have called a lawyer, we just chalked it up to part of riding an off road vehicle.SAM_4161.thumb.JPG.c69011328e4be6d4f507223a20cc314a.JPG

17 minutes ago, zoso said:

Ya, that one in espanola caused my buddy to flip his sled off the trail. I bet many a goof would have called a lawyer, we just chalked it up to part of riding an off road vehicle.

Thought so.  I'd do the same, shake my head, laugh it off and continue on

4 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Thought so.  I'd do the same, shake my head, laugh it off and continue on

however was a yamaha vector. Pulling it out of there was not fun. not to mention this was the last day of a saddlebag trip where a lot of heavy drinking and late nights were followed by high mileage days and I was not feeling like performing heavy work when we were 2 hours from home. same guy hit a rock on a trail and rolled that same sled, he was injured, went to hospital after i got him out of the bush and into sportsmans. Once again, no lawyer, just another memory we shared. The panic at the STP in fear of being sued was funny, we were both on the executive of our club and they were still paranoid. Ten time bitten you become a little shy I guess.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

My point exactly(riding in the south and stop every 2 minutes)

Archived