HWY 407 Ticket

Diceman

was cruising home Sunday morning from Barrys Bay with sled in the back of truck...jumped on 407 and went about 50 k and saw opp coming from off ramp onto hwy...I moved over, not speeding, all lights working so fiquire no worries...he eventually pulls behind me and lights go on....I pull over and he comes to window and asks if I have a transponder ?..I say no, why?...he explains that since my tailgate is down my license plate is obstructed so the camera can not take a pic of the plate.....he said they were doing a week long enforcement, zero tolerance... ..I never never thought of that even once before...I was then puzzled because I explained to him that I have taken the 407 many times with the atv in the truck with tailgate down and was always billed for it....he said that was odd( not sure if he believed me)...bottom line is $85 ticket....when I got home I checked my account and I was correct...I was billed every time but they had used the atv plate on the back of the bike to bill me...must say however that although he gave me a ticket he was the nicest guy I ever dealt with police wise...

I've used the 407 when towing our boat. You can't see the truck plate because of the boat. The boat trailer plate is directly below the trailer lights on the left side where the manufacturer has put it. It's the only spot on the trailer it can be legally mounted. The boat however obscures the plate from the cameras. However if you are following the trailer in a vehicle it is clearly visible and legal. If I'm on 407 with the boat I don't get a bill.

I think that it is great that our tax dollars a spent enforcing overcharged tolls for a foreign owned company.

7 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

I think that it is great that our tax dollars a spent enforcing overcharged tolls for a foreign owned company.

Supply and demand on the price... if people stopped using it due to high tolls they would have to drop the rates. As long as people use it they will charge what they can.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I've used the 407 when towing our boat. You can't see the truck plate because of the boat. The boat trailer plate is directly below the trailer lights on the left side where the manufacturer has put it. It's the only spot on the trailer it can be legally mounted. The boat however obscures the plate from the cameras. However if you are following the trailer in a vehicle it is clearly visible and legal. If I'm on 407 with the boat I don't get a bill.

I'll have to try that... My monthly bill is around $300 and a lot of it during the summer, I have a boat in tow..

Just so you know they are putting in cameras to pick up front plate

8 hours ago, Diceman said:

was cruising home Sunday morning from Barrys Bay with sled in the back of truck...jumped on 407 and went about 50 k and saw opp coming from off ramp onto hwy...I moved over, not speeding, all lights working so fiquire no worries...he eventually pulls behind me and lights go on....I pull over and he comes to window and asks if I have a transponder ?..I say no, why?...he explains that since my tailgate is down my license plate is obstructed so the camera can not take a pic of the plate.....he said they were doing a week long enforcement, zero tolerance... ..I never never thought of that even once before...I was then puzzled because I explained to him that I have taken the 407 many times with the atv in the truck with tailgate down and was always billed for it....he said that was odd( not sure if he believed me)...bottom line is $85 ticket....when I got home I checked my account and I was correct...I was billed every time but they had used the atv plate on the back of the bike to bill me...must say however that although he gave me a ticket he was the nicest guy I ever dealt with police wise...

I got the same ticket 10 years ago, and I was using a transponder. I told the OPP officer that I thought it was a waste of tax-payers money and she informed me that the OPP units you see on the 407 are completely funded by the 407 and not tax-payers. I fought the ticket in court and had my bill with me to prove I used the transponder. I was found guilty with no fine. Judge told me it clearly states in the motor vehicle act that you cannot drive on a toll highway with the tailgate down, transponder or not.

Carmen

9 hours ago, Diceman said:

What you do is get a transponder, then sit on it as you go through, plate not visible, transponder present if stopped.

Spiderman did you happen to read the post before yours ?

Got stopped years ago for same thing. Bringing sled back home from cottage for repairs, trailer snowed in and to lazy to dig it out. Officer was very friendly and explained why he would be issuing a ticket. He told me he would of let me off except for the fact the rear licence plate was covered with snow. This was my fault for backing into a snowbank to load sled. After handing me the ticket and saying goodbye he ran back to the cruiser to chase another pickup with sled in back and tailgate down.

1 hour ago, slomo said:

OFSC can't do the same thing??

Maybe if they charged the same rates as the 407!

was thinking about taking back license plate and taking if off the back and putting it somewhere in the back bed so the camera could pick it up...

2 hours ago, slomo said:

OFSC can't do the same thing??

Yes they can. About $75 hrs for paid duty

On 2/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, tireless said:

Just so you know they are putting in cameras to pick up front plate

They cant under the privacy act.  

15 hours ago, Diceman said:

was thinking about taking back license plate and taking if off the back and putting it somewhere in the back bed so the camera could pick it up...

Why not just get a transponder?   Pays for itself after a few trips.   I have 1 and use it in multiple vehicles, with only 1 plate registered.    Taken the 407 at least a hundred times with sled in the back.  

On 2/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, 02Sled said:

Also known as stealing

8 hours ago, Canadoo said:

Why not just get a transponder?   Pays for itself after a few trips.   I have 1 and use it in multiple vehicles, with only 1 plate registered.    Taken the 407 at least a hundred times with sled in the back.  

not sure if I would really use it enough...whats a transponder cost?

5 minutes ago, Diceman said:

I have two.  I believe the first one is $2/month and the second is $1/month.  My 407 bill is about $500/month.

9 minutes ago, Diceman said:

Annual lease fee $24.50.  Camera charge $4.20 without transponder. If you use the 407 more than 6 times per year it is worthwhile getting one.

I got a ticket for 407 use a year ago, it was for a boat and trailer I  owned 14 years ago. I guess the new owners never changed it into there names, so  I had to file a police report for a STOLEN plate. Lets see what happen's if that plate is scan by opp on any road. 

Speed limit on 407 should be non existent after 9pm til 4am and regular hours speed limit should be 160

Cops troll that road non stop for speeders over 150 ( they call em street racers now ) arghhh

Other thing you can do is tailgate the trailers in a convoy

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I have two.  I believe the first one is $2/month and the second is $1/month.  My 407 bill is about $500/month.

thanks for info...had no idea it was that cheap...do they just send it to your home address?

Archived