Is the RAP Tour Almost Dead?

bbakernbay

Everyone has done it. 

Lotsa new "Loops" & "Tours" to do with Green all over the province. 

too risky to plan a trip, book rooms, vacation days etc. when we have had major melt downs over the last few years.

• Like 1

Agree on too risky to plan a trip.  Haven't been able to pull one off in the last 4 years even with a cottage right on a trail as the conditions never cooperated when we were there.  Subsequently we've just been heading to NB or further north for guaranteed better trails/conditions and leaving day trips out of the cottage when conditions are decent.  We used to do that trip every year for years.

We did it about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it, I am thinking next year we may try it again.

I've done it twice now. Once before it was called RAP and once a couple years ago. I would like to do it again clockwise..but not this year

8 hours ago, monte1214 said:

Everyone has done it. 

Lotsa new "Loops" & "Tours" to do with Green all over the province. 

This right here. I have seen many posts about the other snow tours in the last couple of years. Goldrush, Canyon, Moose/wolf loop and the Kawartha Highlands tour.  Rap tour is hit and miss, mostly due to conditions. I have heard lots of horror stories of the Rap tour closing while people are halfway due to rain. 

Was just talking to a buddy today and he wants to go next week. 

We have tried to do the RAP tour for the last 5 years, but something always would get in the way, weather being the biggest factor. 

What is the best route around powassan to avoid road running? Is this the only area where road running can be a issue? 

Talked to a couple of guys doing the RAP when we were in Barrys Bay earlier this month. Also there was a group of MI sledders staging in Spectacle Lake & doing it.

11 hours ago, gsx6 said:

We have tried to do the RAP tour for the last 5 years, but something always would get in the way, weather being the biggest factor. 

What is the best route around powassan to avoid road running? Is this the only area where road running can be a issue? 

When we did it, we stayed in North bay, went over thru Port Loring and then down to Sand Lake (Kearney area). There are great trails in the Port Loring area and we just made a loop thru there

• Like 2

10 hours ago, barberch said:

When we did it, we stayed in North bay, went over thru Port Loring and then down to Sand Lake (Kearney area). There are great trails in the Port Loring area and we just made a loop thru there

Thanks for the recommendation 

• 1 month later...

The RAP tour doesnt pass thru Pembroke. When we did it in '13 we turned 'north' west of the city & headed towards Petawawa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, signfan said:

The existing trail isn't in question.  This is a new route that would go downtown.  It would be a great addition to what already exists.

X2

I think the non-motorized users would be quite happy to have the cost of 'grooming' (by the parks & rec department) borne by the taxpayers as opposed to the local snowmobile club doing it gratis.

Someone posted earlier this winter about snowmobiles on a groomed railbed near Midland offending other users. Now the club can't groom it & nobody maintains it.

Some of these people should heed this saying, "Be careful what you wish for".

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 10:10 PM, gsx6 said:

It again depends on the weather, but when I ran that stretch near Powassan it was snow covered road running and was nothing detrimental.  It does run for a while, but I think its blown out of proportion.  The majority of the time that road is snow covered.  One of those sections that 80% of the time is fine.  The other 20% its brutal.  There is a few other big road running sections south of Kearney north of Dwight as well.  Same scenario.  RAP is not dead.  It's still the great tour it has always been.   I would recommend it.  Especially in mid February.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just got back from 4 days RAP trip. This is my fourth time. We started from Parry Sound and did counter clockwise. West side of Algonquin awesome, Muskoka side needs more snow to make ride enjoyable. Anyway great trip with friends a lot of memories.

Some pictures to share.

20220203_130232.jpg

20220203_155803.jpg

20220204_092858.jpg

20220204_110249.jpg

20220204_110400.jpg

20220204_110609.jpg

20220204_110728.jpg

20220204_110643.jpg

20220204_125256.jpg

20220204_125331.jpg

20220204_134309.jpg

20220204_134636.jpg

20220204_134738.jpg

20220204_151804.jpg

20220205_110225.jpg

20220205_114744.jpg

20220205_115853.jpg

20220205_115911.jpg

20220205_133012.jpg

20220205_132834.jpg

20220205_141717.jpg

20220205_141816.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Your group seems to have a thing about arms up or out! :-) Great pictures, thanks for sharing...

• Haha 2

We are waiting on Mother Nature to change the lower part and the west side from yellow to more green before booking our annual ride around the park.

20 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Your group seems to have a thing about arms up or out! :-) Great pictures, thanks for sharing...

Arms up means never give up 😉

7 minutes ago, Spanky said:

We are waiting on Mother Nature to change the lower part and the west side from yellow to more green before booking our annual ride around the park.

Other side of coin it was not to many people on trail, as people wait for better conditions 

• Like 2

Have done the RAP more times than I can count.

Hoping to do it with my kids one of these years.

RAN as well 

Both are great trips when conditions are in order.

• Like 3