OUCH!

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season I have seem a lot of sledders  blocking most of the trail when they are stopping on the trails! Instead of one behind the other. Anyone else notice this?

or intersections!

13 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Why NO, you guys afraid you won't pass and your priveledges (not rights) will be revoked?

I have more than enough of testing and medicals already with an AMZ class license. Not to mention having to navigate my way through the Driver's Centre.

4 hours ago, catinental couch said:

People in denial are often the ones who should be having a license retest. Just sayin'.

Does that mean you're ready to sign up for retests?

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

or intersections!

A pet peeve of mine. And when they have move to let you thru YOU get the evil eye as if youre the bad person.

Sometimes, sticking to the right side of a trail isn't the best idea either, as I found out the hard way.  A little bobble/dip/chunk on the trail and I got sucked into the deep snow...and a few trees got in my way.

IMG_1393.jpg

3 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Sometimes, sticking to the right side of a trail isn't the best idea either, as I found out the hard way.  A little bobble/dip/chunk on the trail and I got sucked into the deep snow...and a few trees got in my way.

IMG_1393.jpg

That just plain sucks :(

3 hours ago, KCC said:

This season I have seem a lot of sledders  blocking most of the trail when they are stopping on the trails! Instead of one behind the other. Anyone else notice this?

I once witnessed a small deer get hit just over the crest of a hill on the downside once from a car coming the other direction. The driver stopped and got out of his car about 40’ from the crest of the hill on the down side being totally unseen and blind to anyone coming from the direction he was traveling which was a 60kmh country rd but most travel 80. I stopped and yelled out my window from a good distance that he shouldn’t stop there. He replied “but I just hit that deer”. I told him he’s about to get hit and killed right now  too himself being stopped on that hill. Took him a few seconds to clue in then jump in his car and move further down towards where I had stopped. The entire time I was braced to possibly witness a horrible accident and thought to myself....I don’t want to see this happen! The carnage and horror would have been one of those moments in life you can’t unsee but wish you could. The twist in this is the guy was in hospital uniform either on his way to or from work. You’d think such a person would have the foresight and forethought to not put himself in such a bad spot. It’s a common mistake and leads to accidents quite often. 

I am a local here and very familiar with the trail... It was on a summer maintenance only road which turns into a trail. Very icy conditions, peak of a blind hill with slight bend and running directly into sunlight... at least that is what I gathered coming up to the sleds being loaded onto a tow truck.

Main thing no injuries.

20190209_170000.jpg

20190209_165952.jpg

4 hours ago, KCC said:

People been doing this for years up here, just gotta give 'em the finger pointing to the side, and they smarten up (sometimes).  Other times they need the other finger ....

On a  saddle bag trip my buddy almost got me killed. So we were in Elliot and heading to Birch Lodge. Cross the road and buddy takes the wrong trail, other buddy follows. We need to take the D south, they took the F. So I wait a second then realize they have not noticed there error and I head off to go get them. Not far along the trail I come over a blind hill. The two are parked on the other side and off there sleds. I had to do some fancy moves to avoid hitting them or there sleds, they were blocking almost the entire trail. The reason they both stopped there is because a guy was down a hill off the trail and stuck there. They wanted to help. Not thinking, just stopped in a bad place and almost caused a bad scene. I had them move the sleds, went and got the guy out and told them to follow me to the lodge. The funny thing is, the one guy, the guy that caused the danger, is very concerned with safety, always mentioning it etc. I guess we all have momentary lapses of reason from time to time.

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

IMG_1393.jpg

That sucks hope you are okay,was it a fairly new sled?Just curious how do insurance company handles these type of accidents 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, RAMSOMAIR said:

I believe a refresher MSV test should be required every 5 years. So should a regular drivers license.

18 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Why NO, you guys afraid you won't pass and your priveledges (not rights) will be revoked?

Based on the driving skills of the new drivers I see on the road today it doesn't take much to get a drivers license so it wouldn't weed out virtually anyone. Add to that we don't need a whole bunch more government bureaucrats feeding from the public trough. Then I have far better things to do with my time than spend a day standing in lines and dealing with the bureaucrats.

6 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Does that mean you're ready to sign up for retests?

Doesn't matter whether I am ready or not. If I want to keep my BM license, I have to do retests and medicals and driver abstracts, police checks etc. You know the drill. Another year and a half I have to do another retest and a medical, then every year after that. And of course there are fees for each and every piece of paper you require. Happy fn birthday.

17 hours ago, cravesledding said:

That sucks hope you are okay,was it a fairly new sled?Just curious how do insurance company handles these type of accidents 

2016 MXZX1200, loved the sled.  I survived the accident by lunging to the left just as the sled collided with the trees.  The impact flipped me head over heels and I landed on my back on the trail.  My shins are still sore today...been a month.  Unfortunately, cheap me didn't put collision on my sled, so no insurance claim.

Needless to say, a new sled was in order pronto and after over a dozen years on a 4 stroke, I went with an 850 MXZ.  Oh yeah, collision is on this one.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Steve F6 said:

Followed an older group of guys group last weekend (early retirees I would describe them as).

Excuse me but I resemble that remark.^_^

There is something that may be missed here. Technology has come a long way, we now communicate effortlessly.

We always have a lead out front, he tells us about all oncoming traffic. The sweep also relays info on faster sleds form behind, we pull over at our earliest and safest opportunity.

This allows a much more enjoyable and safer ride with little worry. The whole trail is yours.

Check them out.

PackTalk Bold.PNG

14 minutes ago, J-Fly said:

There is something that may be missed here. Technology has come a long way, we now communicate effortlessly.

We always have a lead out front, he tells us about all oncoming traffic. The sweep also relays info on faster sleds form behind, we pull over at our earliest and safest opportunity.

This allows a much more enjoyable and safer ride with little worry. The whole trail is yours.

Check them out.

PackTalk Bold.PNG

That’s what we use, I told my buddies about them and now they have them. We’re working on a couple others to get them to buy a set as well. They work awesome, and we bought them just for safety purposes. Listening to music while riding is pretty nice too!

4 minutes ago, J-Fly said:

Check them out.

PackTalk Bold.PNG

Yeap I use Sena  10R communicators when riding with wife,also works well with GPS and phone.She rides with a lot more confidence knowing what is coming her way. Unfortunately

the guy up front still needs to be extra alert.

Sena.jpg

I ride with a Sena 20S, but unfortunately, none of my riding buddies do.  (They don't want to talk to me, I guess :-( )  It is great for music and even the occasional phone call.

Just wonder how Sena work at low temperature?   How last long battery survive?

Archived