Gowganda helicopter

Muskoka Man

7 minutes ago, gtserider said:

I'm in "cottage country" so very aware of the bears,and the lack of understanding from the city folk. Though that we be a given in the north.

Lol. You’d think so, wouldn’t you?  I am continually amazed.  

I flew a Cessna 206 in this same capacity 30 years ago. We flew with a heading indicator and a spotter with a topo map and a zoomed viewfinder. No GPS.

It is a grid pattern, about 100-200  yards between lines. All day "Ta me, Ta me.....Ta you Ta you." I was moving 1/2 a degree at a time, very fatiguing.

We were at 300 feet, with "the Bird"  200 feet below. We had to climb fifty feet over powerlines. Creepy.

On the winch behind us was a pair of linesman's plyers. In case of a snag we were to swivel and cut the 1/4 inch steel cable???

I remember as a teen out w/ buddies' father who was a trapper. He was showing us the staked lines on a mining claim. There was a base line and then lines were marked perpendicular from it @ 100 yards intervals.

When he was single he was in a gang that 'cut lines' in northwestern Quebec. He used to rhyme off a lot of places that for sledders now are quite familiar, Amos, Cadillac, Malartic, Senneterre & Val D'or. He even made it to Chibougomou.

Archived