North bay D trail

Akronsnow

Curious about a couple things on the D trail near North Bay. 1st is the section from Mr Gs to trout lake maintained or groomed at all any more ? I see its yellow on the map and the cutoff to Travelodge is red . NB is convenient but I can't stand that section even though it's short. Second question about the D trail is south of Nosbonsing being closed. Is that a permanent closure  or is it a temporary issue and reopening in the near future  ? Thanks 

I replied directly to this inquiry on our NBSC Facebook messages and will repeat it here for everyone.  I was previously with NBSC for many years and have a good understanding of the issues.  It has been an unsolvable issue for 25 years or more.

The D trail between Highway 17 (Mr. Gas and Trout Lake) is looked after by the South Shore - Restoule Snowmobile Club (SS-RSC) and before that was NBSC responsibility.

There are 2 ponds as shown on the Trail Map and the SS-RSC Groomer and drag sunk there about 5 years ago and the Operator barely escaped.  Since then there has been no industrial groomer used in this section.  This trail crosses private properties and unfortunately there is no other route options available.

The extremely high traffic and terrain contributes to the moguls.  Both Clubs tried to utilize Yamaha VKs or similar with small drags but without much success.  The very high traffic combined with throttle jockeys and the terrain makes it virtually impossible to maintain.  

As they say, “It is What It Is” unfortunate as it may be it is a relatively short stretch and better than Road Running in some other locations.

The SS711 trail had a safety issue with a steep and very icy slope at one major driveway leading to Travelodge.  The SS-RSC had to close it due to safety reasons. 

The D trail closure south of Astorille is a Landowner Revocation Of Permission and SS-RSC has indicated there is no resolution for rest of this season.

I am taking the liberty of reporting this to assist snowmobilers but refer you to the appropriate Club’s Facebook page or Website as not every Club can be expected to monitor and respond here on OC.

DE357F33-CC29-47A6-9709-37327D86B4D2.jpeg

FD6E777F-00AA-473A-80E4-4C1B756B8AB1.jpeg

Thanks Brian, you are correct.

The stretch between MrGas and Trout Lake is left yellow because we can't access it with industrial groomers. It is a 3km stretch and signed accordingly.

I believe our club is working with the Travelodge to get the hill fixed, but it was just too dangerous for the club to leave open. Obviously we can't access it with the groomer. Hopefully this can be resolved and get the access opened up again.

The Astorville stretch was a land owner denying access very late in the fall. It is another tricky location that doesn't offer much for quick alternatives. We are continuing to work on that one. Riding roads around is an option, but it is lengthy if there is no snow pack on the roads.

We have been in that area a couple times recently, My honest advice would be to go a little east and stay at The Dinner Bell, Cedar Gables or even Camp Conewango. Trails are in excellent shape in that area and you will have many options to ride out of there will little to no road riding.

Cedar gables is a nice place for sure 

8 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

Wanted cedar gables but they were all booked so I Booked the dinner bell

Not fancy but clean and the restaurant has great food + Butter Tarts.

We have but are always willing to try new loops. Planning on the mattawa loop one day. Open to suggestions for others though. Thanks

11 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

We have but are always willing to try new loops. Planning on the mattawa loop one day. Open to suggestions for others though. Thanks

Get District 11 Trail Map at Travelodge or Camp Conewango.

For this loop, first check on NBSC website Spot GPS link as to when Groomer has left Camp Conewango area to groom A112A towards Mica Mine on way to Mattawa so you can have a great start or return.  Other local clubs don’t offer this.

Use the OFSC Trip Planner to get total Kms.

From Camp Conewango Go North short distance On BF201 and bear right on A112A and continue to Mattawa and you cross Mattawa River.  May want to print out detailed trail map for Mattawa town trail. Gas up and eat in Mattawa depending on your schedule.  No snowmobiles allowed on sidewalk.  If not then eat at Dinner Bell later in day.

Leave Mattawa On A112A then Watch for right turn on TOP A trail towards Bonfield.  Continue on A across short section of staked trail on Lake Nosbonsing then cross Highway 17 and shortly thereafter a right onto BF201 on pipeline.  Lunch at Cedar Gables or Dinner Bell right on BF201.  Continue on BF201 to Lake Talon and bomb up the staked trail back to Camp Conewango.  Fairly long trip but worth it.

31D017F8-C5F1-4BE2-968B-6F95A1936330.jpeg

Great info BBakernbay, thanks for sharing and I have ridden most of the suggested trails and they are nice.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

The warm Date Squares with whipped cream topping is also recommended.

Lol I paid for one for you in the fall Brian. 

Nunz my son and I rode with you up in mattawa 2 years ago when the track on my yamaha started to blow apart and I headed back

19 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

Nunz my son and I rode with you up in mattawa 2 years ago when the track on my yamaha started to blow apart and I headed back

Oh yes I remember that day, Sledjunk and 14Snow and my brother as well, hope all is well with you. Have a great trip !! One day we will have to try again to meet up. 

The lakes may be an issue for lack of snow for lubrication, I haven’t heard from anyone out recently.  Lakes Trout, Talon, Nosbonsing, Tomiko are great runs and not to be missed but stay on staked trails to avoid slush.

The land trails are likely very hard too until they get some fresh snow

12 hours ago, Nunz said:

Lol I paid for one for you in the fall Brian. 

Thank you Nunz, I appreciate that very much.

Although we moved to Kitchener 2 years ago, we stay at our cottage on Lake Talon from Victoria Day through to a week or so after Thanksgiving.  

We stop in at The Dinner Bell for their various Wing Night or Fish & Chips and the last time Deb brought us a big piece of date square that generous sledders had left for me.  Business should be booming now, same for Cedar Gables Lodge across the highway.  Dinner Bell were trying to enclose and heat the patio deck to increase seating but haven’t heard if that worked out.

I think NBSC is still using the loaner Husky from Dufferin Snow Busters and I haven’t heard as to whether the Husky that went off the bridge is salvageable or to be parted out.  The guys were extremely lucky to survive that.

Archived