Shining Tree to Timmins

Fergie

I see the trails are still closed from Shining Tree to just south of Timmins.

Has anyone been up this way?  Any feedback on snow conditions/when the trails will be open?

Thanks!

Posted on Faceplant on the 10th:

Gogama Shining Tree Club

"

Good evening,

Tomorrow we will groom Top C north of Mattagami to Post 392 and back.

We've had issues with the Shining Tree groomer yesterday- hopefully all will resume tomorrow.

We're getting there people, working hard to get these trails opened-up!

Stay posted!!"

Its a one man show in shinning tree....he is doing the best he can...he has may his first pass south and north.....made his second pass south and did the signage also...when he heads to post 392 he will also be doing the signage....that is one tough trail to open going north on the hydro line....if anybody has some free time I am sure he could keep u busy.

Thanks Lep, little clarification, you are pretty much correct. I do the section of "C" trail from the South end of Mattagami Lake to Shining Tree down to where I split with Sudbury, about 130 plus kms of trail. Pat, the club president and his wife Chantal, who is everything else in the club, look after Mattagami Lake, "C" trail from Mattagami Lake North to Post 392 where Timmins splits with him, 90 plus kms of trail. Yes, that power line is challenging and needs more snow than most everywhere else. Also he goes into Gogama. The main issue has been a so called refirbished machine delivered to me that I started with on December 29th when we got enough snow. Lasted an hour before it broke down and waited until January 7th for parts to fix it. It has not been able to complete a shift since. We are now floating in another piece and should receive it shortly to resume trail from Shining Tree to Mattagami Lake. Sudbury is going to send up a grooming team shortly to groom my first pass from them to me again so it can become fully available, this is a 36 hour run so they will sleep in one of our cabins and return. I will finish brushing that trail today. Stay tuned to the Interactive map & Gogama/ Shining Tree Facebook because we will make sure it reflects what is going on. Hope this helps, Cheers, Derek.  

According to the OFSC site the Top C trail from Mattagami north to Timmins is listed as "Yellow" Limited. Pat has done a fantastic job considering he is basically a 1 man band 

Thanks for all your efforts.

Thank you for all your efforts as well.

Thanks for the updates guys.

Derek and Pat both do a great job on the trails up there.  It's pretty remote section to groom for sure.

I've always like riding the hydro line up to Timmins from Mattagami.

What I don't understand is, one club is working their way up one trail, while the other is working their way South on the other .... one would think it would be best to open the main trail first, which accesses Gogama (and fuel), then the other trail afterwards (or vice versa).  I don't see the logic here.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, Nunz said:

Thank you for all your efforts as well.

X2

I've really appreciated you efforts & enjoy the trails when we've ridden thru there over the years. Passing thru next month! Last time was back in 2010 hoping a sick Apex would make it from the Wahnapitei River to Timmins... It did w/ a burned up drive axle bearing. 

Thank you

Archived