Through the ice in Chemong

GrizzlyGriff

A couple of days ago a guy takes his new sled out to check it out.  Went through the ice in Chemong. Buddies pulled him out and  the OPP charged him.  Didn’t say with what. My vote is “being stupid”. Can you charge for that!:wtf::headbang:

probably careless driving, my guess. play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Ski

1 hour ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

A couple of days ago a guy takes his new sled out to check it out.  Went through the ice in Chemong. Buddies pulled him out and  the OPP charged him.  Didn’t say with what. My vote is “being stupid”. Can you charge for that!:wtf::headbang:

The OPP seem to be invoking the privacy nonsense anymore. Won't name the person(s) charged or what the charges are.

Are they afraid of hurting the moron's feelings? Or maybe his kids would be bullied @ school the next day cause their 'father' has the IQ of a rock.

It would be an environmental charge, for dropping the sled into the lake.

3 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

It would be an environmental charge, for dropping the sled into the lake.

Not cheap to have it retrieved which you must do because of the environmental impact. 

11 hours ago, zoso said:

Police do not lay that charge. Te  charge they lay would be careless operation of a snowmobile.

well they sure looked like police when they charged my neighbour, after he dropped his ATV through the ice a couple of years ago!

11 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

well they sure looked like police when they charged my neighbour, after he dropped his ATV through the ice a couple of years ago!

I thought the ministry had the authority to levy those type of charges. Perhaps opp do so after the MOE determined an environmental impact took place. 

2 hours ago, zoso said:

I thought the ministry had the authority to levy those type of charges. Perhaps opp do so after the MOE determined an environmental impact took place. 

I would think that any charges pertaining to the environmental concerns would be found elsewhere, not the MSV Act.

My understanding of the incident is that it occurred at approximately 10 pm.  So the genius had that going for him as well. 

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

My understanding of the incident is that it occurred at approximately 10 pm.  So the genius had that going for him as well. 

Well they couldn't wait until after midnight when nothing good happens on a sled.

Are these lakes that they are going through on - just glare ice? Doo you know?

I've made first tracks accrost several bush lakes over the years, and a slushy lake will scare you long before you will fall through.

(KB River too)

You know what they say --  "when the locals stop going thru the ice it's safe for us tourists "   

Know before you go !

I am on Belmont Lake , about 50 kms East of Chemong. it is glare ice, about 4 inches in my bay . Drilled my own hole in about 3 feet of water. There were two ice fisherman 1/4 mile from shore las t Tuesday. walking with sled.

If you don't know don't go. I have been on Georgian Bay and where the sled was the ice was a couple of feet thick. About 10 ft. to the side was open water thanks to current. Then the comments I have heard that I just shake my head over. Someone is sitting at the edge of the lake and they see tracks across the ice. Their comment... look, there's tracks it must be safe. They haven't any idea if whoever left the tracks was on a 400 lb. sled, weighed 150 lbs. and ran across the lake at 100 kph. or was it someone like themselves a 600 lb. sled with a 240 lb. rider at 60 kph.

They set out and get unpleasantly surprised.

cut two holes in Peacock Bay on Lake Vernon Huntsville - ice good 5 inches a week ago..

Sled tracks this past weekend.

Archived