Are We Getting An App ?

pt3189

11 hours ago, zoso said:

I would not turn my business into the police, not sure that any one would want to risk losing income doing the job of the OPP.

You and I both know that the OPP aren't doing the job effectively when it comes to enforcing trail permits. If the MTO & OFSC don't change the way enforcement is being done, the number of sleds on the trails with no permits is just going to increase yearly. If a business owner is willing to help with this type of enforcement then they are likely very aware that they might loose a bit of business. Its their individual decision period.

Sledders who ride but not on OFSC trails will get to know where gas station enforcement is taking place and avoid those locations. My guess is that most of those people do not by fuel by riding into gas stations anyway. The only sledders that will be upset with this type of enforcement help are the ones using the OFSC system without paying their share and they always have the option of going elsewhere for fuel.

I applaud Wild Bill in his efforts.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I appreciate WB's approach when repairing a sled, and the good outcome it produced, gas stations are another matter.

I can't remember the last time I was at a gas station with the sled, that wasn't self-serve! The person operating the pumps and collecting payment are sitting inside and couldn't tell if you have a permit or not.

I don't think this is a valid idea.

21 hours ago, monte1214 said:

$3.99 a year for what we're getting....I'll pay it no problem.

One thing they should do, is link it to your Permit and give you a Password so you can only get the App if you have a Pass.  One time use only. 

Same guys that bitch about the $3.99 are the same guys paying $10 for Monster Stickers at the TO Show where they paid $15 to get in.....

I would not want it linked to the permit.

I would not like to pay for something I neither want or would use!

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

The gas station I am thinking of is right beside the OFSC, along a 24 hr provincially maintained asphalt highway.  Only way to the station is on the trail.  No crown land, or bush roads for for miles to ride on.  Any body who bush rides on there own farm can use a jerry can.

So will he be checking for valid drivers license and insurance as well, maybe a breathalyzer before pumping?  Sure may be a good idea, but not realistic! Where would you draw the line?!   Just another way to piss people off in my opinion.  His job is to sell gas, people will simply go elsewhere easily enough.  He will not likely be changing the mindset of others.

Kind of side-tracked from an App topic, didn't it?;)

Call me crazy, but I think one of the most valuable "applications" for a GPS based sled app is to actually KNOW where you are at any given time.

Scenario, the sled breaks, or you have an actual emergency, perhaps involving an injury.

You look to your device, and find you can't locate yourself, even though you have been lucky enough to find yourself at an intersection between trail, and road, or close to it.

You call for a pick up, or maybe 911 for help, and despite being easily accessible by road, you can't tell the responder where you are.

To me, this is the MOST basic of features, and the main reason I'd carry electronics of any kind on my sled.

Should almost be considered an necessity for safe sledding.

Yes, the ubiquitous  Garmin antique automotive GPS does this, and that's why I carry one.

Why not have it part of this OFSC marvel?

13 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Kind of side-tracked from an App topic, didn't it?;)

Call me crazy, but I think one of the most valuable "applications" for a GPS based sled app is to actually KNOW where you are at any given time.

Scenario, the sled breaks, or you have an actual emergency, perhaps involving an injury.

You look to your device, and find you can't locate yourself, even though you have been lucky enough to find yourself at an intersection between trail, and road, or close to it.

You call for a pick up, or maybe 911 for help, and despite being easily accessible by road, you can't tell the responder where you are.

To me, this is the MOST basic of features, and the main reason I'd carry electronics of any kind on my sled.

Should almost be considered an necessity for safe sledding.

Yes, the ubiquitous  Garmin antique automotive GPS does this, and that's why I carry one.

Why not have it part of this OFSC marvel?

Spaceman's post from Tuesday says that the App has the ability to find yourself through your devices' GPS. If that is the case would it not also give you the coordinates for your position? 

This mobile app gives you access to the following *OFFLINE* features, anywhere, anytime, even in areas without cell coverage :

"- See your location on the map through your phone’s GPS signal"

3 hours ago, Dave K said:

The gas station I am thinking of is right beside the OFSC, along a 24 hr provincially maintained asphalt highway.  Only way to the station is on the trail.  No crown land, or bush roads for for miles to ride on.  Any body who bush rides on there own farm can use a jerry can.

The first place I saw this was on a loop starting/ending at the PetroCan and the Seguin. We headed north just before Sprucedale to circle back. I believe it may have been Dunchurch. We stopped for lunch. The restaurant was on the edge of the lake and right next door was a variety store/gas station. They had a sign at the pumps. No trail permit no gas.

2 hours ago, snowman said:

So will he be checking for valid drivers license and insurance as well, maybe a breathalyzer before pumping?  Sure may be a good idea, but not realistic! Where would you draw the line?!   Just another way to piss people off in my opinion.  His job is to sell gas, people will simply go elsewhere easily enough.  He will not likely be changing the mindset of others.

I don't know about where you ride but there are lots of places in small town Ontario where you have very limited options for fuel. His job is to look out for his livelihood. Without the permit buying sledders paying for the trail, perhaps the trail goes away and his winter income could go away. Think about Sprucedale. One gas station in town right on the trail. It would be his choice to support the trail system or not. Not exactly many other choices just around the corner. I keep seeing discussions about where to get gas when riding so availability is a concern to many. I have towed more than a few people into Port Severn to get gas and turned around to lead people on the shortest route to gas when they thought they might not make it. Severn Falls used to have gas in winter, not anymore, Bala used to have gas in winter, not anymore.

The more I think about it (Gas Stations checking for permits) the sillier it seems.

There is no way we should be putting the onus on a business to police our trails. There are dozens of reason why someone would not have a permit ie: fisherman, hunter, etc

Asking/telling a business to risk their income let alone their well being to enforce OFSC permits is ludacris.

Think about this scenario   One or more sledders arrive at the station. Operator refuses to sell them gas as they have no permit. Person or persons gets mad and proceeds to beat the crap out of the operator. 

Not what most business's want

3 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

The more I think about it (Gas Stations checking for permits) the sillier it seems.

There is no way we should be putting the onus on a business to police our trails. There are dozens of reason why someone would not have a permit ie: fisherman, hunter, etc

Asking/telling a business to risk their income let alone their well being to enforce OFSC permits is ludacris.

Think about this scenario   One or more sledders arrive at the station. Operator refuses to sell them gas as they have no permit. Person or persons gets mad and proceeds to beat the crap out of the operator. 

Not what most business's want

Nobody is telling anybody what to do. Some have chosen to do this on their own. You really think somebody is going to beat the gas station operator? Only a complete idiot would go to jail over something like gas. Even the smallest gas stations have video cameras these days.

20 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Nobody is telling anybody what to do. Some have chosen to do this on their own. You really think somebody is going to beat the gas station operator? Only a complete idiot would go to jail over something like gas. Even the smallest gas stations have video cameras these days.

Yes I do believe the operator could receive bodily harm.

People go off at the slightest provocation these days. Check out the rise of road rage incidents.

Even if the perp is caught, why would the operator put themselves through that ordeal.

Sounds more like the "Don't Buy Gas on a Monday" idiocy

Pretty much every trail access gas station in Quebec has big signs saying no permit no fuel.  

I think this is a "no win" situation. I have witnessed gas station attendants berate Trail Patrol members for even checking other sleds at the pumps for permits. I have had similar experiences at a popular stop in our District. No permit? Just tell Trail Patrol that you rode the road to get there.

What bothers me are the volunteers, former volunteers and other permit buyers who don't seem to have a problem riding the trails with their buddy who does NOT have a permit. WTH???

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

Odd that I have never seen such a sign.

Nor have I

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

I've seen them in Quebec and in the UP of Michigan. 

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Spaceman's post from Tuesday says that the App has the ability to find yourself through your devices' GPS. If that is the case would it not also give you the coordinates for your position? 

This mobile app gives you access to the following *OFFLINE* features, anywhere, anytime, even in areas without cell coverage :

"- See your location on the map through your phone’s GPS signal"

It doesn't appear to do this in the app that I can find but on an iPhone, the compass app will display your coordinates if you have location services turned on for your compass.

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Edgewater on Sand Lake has a sign like that, or used to before the ownership change.  Wouldn't surprise me if they still have one since the groomer is stored there between shifts.

An operator does not have to obey his sign 100% of the time.  If an unpermitted sled shows up with a plausible explanation, he can still sell the fuel, if he wishes..  However, it sends a message.

3 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Edgewater on Sand Lake has a sign like that, or used to before the ownership change.  Wouldn't surprise me if they still have one since the groomer is stored there between shifts.

An operator does not have to obey his sign 100% of the time.  If an unpermitted sled shows up with a plausible explanation, he can still sell the fuel, if he wishes..  However, it sends a message.

I  am all for it but personally   would never expose my business to revenue loss or a potential law suit if it was my business.

5 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

What bothers me are the volunteers, former volunteers and other permit buyers who don't seem to have a problem riding the trails with their buddy who does NOT have a permit. WTH???

Just too many things wrong and true about this statement. No permit? Don't ride with me.  Same as cans ... you have a can ?  find another riding partner. I'll have no part of it, ever, on either case. 

Someone has to stand up and say It's Wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Just too many things wrong and true about this statement. No permit? Don't ride with me.  Same as cans ... you have a can ?  find another riding partner. I'll have no part of it, ever, on either case. 

Someone has to stand up and say It's Wrong. 

I go along with this line of thinking but the police are helter skelter with their thinking. A bunch of us got stopped by the Bracebridge OPP (no surprise) and detained my son in law. I went back to find out what was the problem since he was riding one of my three sleds. The officer said that mine is ok, I can leave. I told him that if he didn't close the hood on that sled then things were not going to be ok. It turns out that out of the three ZRT 600 Cats that were there, they detained the quietest one simply because it had a Modfather sticker on it. The sticker got removed right there. That is the way it came when I bought it and it had a can on it but I put the stock exhaust back on it. I told the seller" no stock exhaust, no sale".

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I  am all for it but personally   would never expose my business to revenue loss or a potential law suit if it was my business.

Law suite??

I owned a lodge. Trail through the property..

The gas in the tank is my gas until I sell it.

I have turned guys away with out gas before. 

Come in talking how good the trails are and how fast they rode it with no permit.

No gas. I just lock the pump they don't want to get a permit.

Problem solved.

Again it's my gas until I sell to you.

So no permit. No gas.

Worked for 16 years for me.

14 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

Law suite??

I owned a lodge. Trail through the property..

The gas in the tank is my gas until I sell it.

I have turned guys away with out gas before. 

Come in talking how good the trails are and how fast they rode it with no permit.

No gas. I just lock the pump they don't want to get a permit.

Problem solved.

Again it's my gas until I sell to you.

So no permit. No gas.

Worked for 16 years for me.

Same here.Unless I know they are just using the beater to get to the cottage. I won't refuse to sell gas,but boy do they get a lecture.I also have  some parking restrictions.Plow is broken. no room for you.I.m lucky only got 14 years in it.

Archived