Are We Getting An App ?

pt3189

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

For the majority of my riding cell service is 0, app is of no use to me.

Besides being lost is kinda fun at times.

I haven't uploaded it yet but it's supposed to have offline capabilities.  I take that to mean you can download the current trail conditions and still have them show up when no cell service.  The GPS in your phone doesn't use cell service or data.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Denis007 said:

02, I don't disagree. However for those of us who paid 10 bucks for the previous app for one season's use, and had it axed, we haven't forgotten. 4 bucks more... oh look... its not working out well... couple of years later it starts all over again. 

Once we know its actually working well, I might change my opinion. 

The previous app was not 10$, it was also $3.99.  This year they are very clear to indicate that it's an annual fee, so expect to pay 3.99 to use the updated version next year. The previous app had no disclaimer that it was a license in perpetuity so I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about paying again...  At least now the communication is clear on this front..

4 hours ago, paulslund said:

The previous app was not 10$, it was also $3.99.  This year they are very clear to indicate that it's an annual fee, so expect to pay 3.99 to use the updated version next year. The previous app had no disclaimer that it was a license in perpetuity so I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about paying again...  At least now the communication is clear on this front..

My apologies, I saw something at $10 ... it was the Sledtrails app.  I just checked, I had paid $2.99 for the previous OFSC app.  As mentioned above, I don't particularly need it, but may purchase it again mid season.

7 hours ago, paulslund said:

I haven't uploaded it yet but it's supposed to have offline capabilities.  I take that to mean you can download the current trail conditions and still have them show up when no cell service.  The GPS in your phone doesn't use cell service or data.

This mobile app gives you access to the following *OFFLINE* features, anywhere, anytime, even in areas without cell coverage :

- See your location on the map through your phone’s GPS signal

- View nearby restaurants, gas stations, hotels, parkings and other services

- Access the trails conditions as per the last data connection available

- See the distance between you and a specific point (as the crow flies)

- Easily access a list of curated snow tours

- Quickly save and load itineraries

Got it...cool little GPS signal monitor on the screen

What I see on negative it's not enough zoom to see roads names, also satellite view is not available or I miss something?  

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

What I see on negative it's not enough zoom to see roads names, also satellite view is not available or I miss something?  

Those were my first two thoughts on it. Anyhow it is worlds better than last app I think. I may have to test out the FPS feature while driving . 

I read that they will be adding another level of zoom to the map ... from their Facebook page. 

Yes, but I don't think one more level will be zoomed in as far as some of us would like.

3 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Yes, but I don't think one more level will be zoomed in as far as some of us would like.

I have not got the app yet anyway you could screen shot the current zoom level.  Thanks

Here's full zoom:

20181219_220501.jpg

Here's the evouola guide at the 4 strongest zoom levels:

20181219_220859.jpg

20181219_220834.jpg

20181219_220935.jpg

20181219_220917.jpg

$3.99 a year for what we're getting....I'll pay it no problem.

One thing they should do, is link it to your Permit and give you a Password so you can only get the App if you have a Pass.  One time use only. 

Same guys that bitch about the $3.99 are the same guys paying $10 for Monster Stickers at the TO Show where they paid $15 to get in.....

1 hour ago, monte1214 said:

$3.99 a year for what we're getting....I'll pay it no problem.

One thing they should do, is link it to your Permit and give you a Password so you can only get the App if you have a Pass.  One time use only. 

Same guys that bitch about the $3.99 are the same guys paying $10 for Monster Stickers at the TO Show where they paid $15 to get in.....

I like your idea of linking it to a permit purchase however since the MTO seems to be controlling everything permit related it might be tough to do but worth investigating IMHO.

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I like your idea of linking it to a permit purchase however since the MTO seems to be controlling everything permit related it might be tough to do but worth investigating IMHO.

If I'm not mistaken to distribute apps for use on a smart phone they have it all tied up that you MUST use Google Play or Apple to get the app. That may make it difficult but it is a good idea to have it as a requirement.

I have seen some gas stations that refuse to sell gas to snowmobiles without trail permits which is another one I like depending on where they are located.

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

have seen some gas stations that refuse to sell gas to snowmobiles without trail permits which is another one I like depending on where they are located.

I like that idea.  I will mention to our local gas station owner.  He's a good guy who doesnt take any crap from anyone.

Not fair. Lots of people ride sleds on private property or roads. They need gas too. Bad idea to turn friendly business people into cops 

4 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Not fair. Lots of people ride sleds on private property or roads. They need gas too. Bad idea to turn friendly business people into cops 

Depends on where the gas station is located. In some cases I would agree but in many others if you arrive at the gas station riding a sled often the only way you got there was on an OFSC trail. There is Jug City on the west side of Penetang Bay. That would be an example of where sleds come off the ice at Northwest Basin Marina. They are right across the road. For them to not pump gas to sleds without a permit wouldn't be feasible. Others it would.

9 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I would not turn my business into the police, not sure that any one would want to risk losing income doing the job of the OPP.

10 hours ago, Dave K said:

I like that idea.  I will mention to our local gas station owner.  He's a good guy who doesnt take any crap from anyone.

Make sure you let me know what gas station so I will never support that nonsense.  Policing the pumps what a joke.  That has to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.  Good way to loose business from lots of local people

9 hours ago, zoso said:

I would not turn my business into the police, not sure that any one would want to risk losing income doing the job of the OPP.

In my shop if I know that you ride the trails you will get shamed into buying the pass . On one occasion a customer dropped of a sled for a repair bragged about how mmuch trail riding that he does I noticed no pass I phoned him up and told him that the only way that I would fix the sled is if I sold him a pass he begrudginly agreed . I must have handled it well he is now a good friend. 

Without the trails there is no snowmobiling we must stand shoulder to shoulder on this and stop freeloading. My shop is not the police but it does support the sport that feeds it

:icon_goodpost:well said Bill, well said:icon_goodpost:

I know of gas stations where the only way you're going to get there on a snowmobile is on an OFSC trail. Without that trail the place wouldn't likely be open in winter. It wouldn't be unreasonable for that gas station owner, to like Bill said, support the sport that feeds it. People freeloading is a growing problem. There is a tipping point. Permit money is neede to provide the trail that brings the sleds to the gas station. No trail, no customers, in many cases no gas station.

51 minutes ago, snowman said:

Make sure you let me know what gas station so I will never support that nonsense.  Policing the pumps what a joke.  That has to be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.  Good way to loose business from lots of local people

The gas station I am thinking of is right beside the OFSC, along a 24 hr provincially maintained asphalt highway.  Only way to the station is on the trail.  No crown land, or bush roads for for miles to ride on.  Any body who bush rides on there own farm can use a jerry can.

Archived