eye in the sky

Wildbill

I kinda like cutting these rumors off as soon as possible, so I asked Sean, who is an OPP Officer and a member of the SAVE Team, and one of the OPP that patrols the sled trails, and this was his response. Hopefully this puts that rumor to rest.

1. Basically he said that it would be way to costly, and unless it was a search and rescue, it ain,t going to happen.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Frosty said.  I can't see how this would be possible, or feasible at all.  If SAR incident, it would be more than just trails being searched.  

On 11/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, FROSTYNUTZ said:

I kinda like cutting these rumors off as soon as possible, so I asked Sean, who is an OPP Officer and a member of the SAVE Team, and one of the OPP that patrols the sled trails, and this was his response. Hopefully this puts that rumor to rest.

1. Basically he said that it would be way to costly, and unless it was a search and rescue, it ain,t going to happen.

Well, what would you expect him to say.....doesn't want to lose the element of surprise......a very inexpensive way to do it would be to create a specially trained parrot flying camera patrol....

Trail violations are recorded on the bird cam, the parrot is trained with a few relevant phrases -  "aaach! no permit!" and having been well fed prior to the patrol is able to "mark" the offending snowmobile (or helmet, visor, etc) for officers waiting down the trail. Might be enough to ruffle the feathers of the few bad apples on the trails.

For sure  choppers are $$$ to run 

Fantino said they were going to use air survaillance when he was the Fuhrer of the OPP.  That didn't last long either.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, 02Sled said:

Same here... drive defensively... leave your hitch in. Lined up at a stoplight to exit one of those Supercentres. It's Christmas time and the woman behind me doesn't stop. Likewise not any damage to the truck except some of the rust was scratched off the ball as it went through her grill and rad. Antifreeze leaking all over the ground and she says I don't know what I'm going to tell my husband... he needs the car for work tomorrow. It's also invaluable for people that park by braille.

I don't even know if I can find the key to take my hitch off.

24 minutes ago, beerhunter said:

I don't even know if I can find the key to take my hitch off.

I have a friend who tried to take his out when he sold the truck. He pulled the pin but no matter how hard he hit it with the hammer it wouldn't break free. He ended up letting the truck leave with the hitch.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:32 AM, snapper said:

Rev, this is a joke,?right? I leave my hitch in the receiver all the time. Once had a girl who I think was texting and not paying attention hit the back of my truck at a 4-way stop. Luckily her brain engaged in time for her to hit the brakes. There was no damage to my truck, but her daddy’s BMW did not fare as well. 

The same happened to my F150 when it got rear ended with the hitch receiver, nothing, but her car was different.  She wasn't texting though as I saw it happen in my rear view mirror.  

Get one of these and then put the hitch into it.

Capture.JPG.61b2f908abf59d0bc92965c74c988872.JPG

With this and the hitch your ball would likely be far enough in to poke right through the rad and take out the fan as well.

I've thought of getting one for the snowmobile trailer. The extra distance from the truck to the ball would let me do a tighter turn when backing up the trailer.

Thanks for setting this straight Frosty. The whole idea seemed a bit "off" from the start. Doug Ford doesn't have money to build badly needed highways, let alone policing the woods with helicopters or fixed wing aircraft.

Helicopters are likely out of the question. As noted, they range from $1400-2500/hour to operate.

I read an article in the local paper earlier this week about the Thunder Bay police service and their new UAV’s (aka Drones).

The system they bought was about $9.0k.  I would not be surprised if the OPP had something similar.  Wonder how many speeding tickets it would take to pay one of those off?

Fear is the ultimate weapon. Fear of the unknown is even more powerful. Fear of the unknown coupled with rumors fueling paranoia? Hmmm where exactly did Canadian police learn these tactics?

Who else in history used these tactics? Hmmmm

I say again. EVERY SINGLE TICKET needs to be taken to court and fought to the end every single time. Inform the public and we will start filing freedom of information requests, once we have done that we will start ( Ive been doing this for years already btw ) comparing costs of policing operations vs public interest and benefit. We will also look at station and region specifics relating to crime vs efforts and THEN, we will put the policing of Ontario to where in needs to be; in the ervice of the public

Its their moto after all, the least we can do is make sure they are doing their job. Smart cops right now? Are quickly shifting away from fear tactics and the old bill and collect model.

Just remember, RESPECT for the law is paramount. Respect for any officer or officers? Thats on a case by case basis and they are trained not to trust anyone they speak to so we public should never trust them.

9 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

Helicopters are likely out of the question. As noted, they range from $1400-2500/hour to operate.

I read an article in the local paper earlier this week about the Thunder Bay police service and their new UAV’s (aka Drones).

The system they bought was about $9.0k.  I would not be surprised if the OPP had something similar.  Wonder how many speeding tickets it would take to pay one of those off?

This setup is most likely to be used for accident investigation not enforcement.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, crispy said:

Fear is the ultimate weapon. Fear of the unknown is even more powerful. Fear of the unknown coupled with rumors fueling paranoia? Hmmm where exactly did Canadian police learn these tactics?  Are you serious? 

Who else in history used these tactics? Hmmmm  Apparently you are....  WOW!

I say again. EVERY SINGLE TICKET needs to be taken to court and fought to the end every single time. Inform the public and we will start filing freedom of information requests, once we have done that we will start ( Ive been doing this for years already btw ) comparing costs of policing operations vs public interest and benefit. We will also look at station and region specifics relating to crime vs efforts and THEN, we will put the policing of Ontario to where in needs to be; in the ervice of the public

Two things... 1 - I agree fight every ticket.  Then educate people when they complain of no police presence, as they're in court testifying to the tickets they wrote.  Same with the FOI requests .  2 - I'm confused when you say "we will put the policing of Ontario to where it needs to be".  Do you have the answer aside from public interest (because you will find that varies tremendously)? 

Its their moto after all, the least we can do is make sure they are doing their job. What is the moto again?

Smart cops right now? Are quickly shifting away from fear tactics and the old bill and collect model.  What the heck does this mean?  Do you think they get a commission or something?

Just remember, RESPECT for the law is paramount. One thing we agree upon...

Respect for any officer or officers? Thats on a case by case basis (I agree here too) and they are trained not to trust anyone they speak to (really? I'm pretty sure that is situation dependent much like many things in life....I can give you numerous examples if really necessary)

so we public should never trust them.  (This is the absolute most ridiculous thing I have read so far, coming in close second to "Who else in history used these tactics". So when that child or elderly person is missing and the police show up, don't trust them?  When that - insert horrific crime here - comes in and the police show up to protect you and your family to deal with the situation, don't trust them????......... SMH) 

Wimpy

On 11/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, crispy said:

Fear is the ultimate weapon. Fear of the unknown is even more powerful. Fear of the unknown coupled with rumors fueling paranoia? Hmmm where exactly did Canadian police learn these tactics?

Who else in history used these tactics? Hmmmm

Its their moto after all, the least we can do is make sure they are doing their job. Smart cops right now? Are quickly shifting away from fear tactics and the old bill and collect model.

Just remember, RESPECT for the law is paramount. Respect for any officer or officers? Thats on a case by case basis and they are trained not to trust anyone they speak to so we public should never trust them.

Wow!

How about man up and accept responsibility for your actions.  If you know your speeding either don’t speed or pay the fine.  

Why saddle the system with increased court costs because you are stupid and don’t obey the rules.  If the speed limit is 50k/hr then that’s the limit.  Drive above and you evaluate the risk vs the reward.  Your call not mine so don’t waste everyone else’s tax dollars.

The problem in society is people don’t take responsibility for their own actions and then want to blame society.  And that creates more rules and enforcement not less.

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Wow!

How about man up and accept responsibility for your actions.  If you know your speeding either don’t speed or pay the fine.  

Why saddle the system with increased court costs because you are stupid and don’t obey the rules.  If the speed limit is 50k/hr then that’s the limit.  Drive above and you evaluate the risk vs the reward.  Your call not mine so don’t waste everyone else’s tax dollars.

The problem in society is people don’t take responsibility for their own actions and then want to blame society.  And that creates more rules and enforcement not less.

In the vast majority of cases I whole heartedly agree. Occasionally the officer does make a mistake. A number of years ago I was on Little Lake Port Severn. I got stopped by what I perceived to be an over zealous cop. He had what appeared to be a summer student with him. He checked all my safety gear, the main thing being life jackets. Then he asked to see my flares. I pointed out that based on transport Canada regulations I don't need them for that body of water. His come back was that my size of boat requires flares. I did have some that came with the boat but they were outdated. Again I referenced the regulation that says I am exempt if the body of water I'm on I can't be more than one nautical mile from shore. He wouldn't listen so I got a ticket.

In this case I went to court, took a copy of the Coast Guard handbook that showed the 1 nautical mile exemption and a navigation chart for Little Lake. I showed him the regulation and then asked him to show me where I could be more than 1 nautical mile from shore on the chart. His response... I could go through the lock and then be in Georgian Bay. The judge dismissed the ticket.... as well as 7 others that were there for the same reason. Had I been out in Georgian Bay and therefore in the wrong, I would have just paid the ticket.

I am confused about the 50k speed limit. 

I ASSume it's for liability and or insurance reasons. 

I typically obey speed limits on the roadways, within reason, but I can't understand why 50k is posted on snowmobile trails. 

I get the reduced speeds in residential areas, and special circumstances, but 50 as a MAX? 

32 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I typically obey speed limits on the roadways, within reason, but I can't understand why 50k is posted on snowmobile trails. 

I get the reduced speeds in residential areas, and special circumstances, but 50 as a MAX? 

I think it goes back to the days when the MSV Act was written. 30 mph on a 10 horse Ski-doo, Sno Cruiser or other bogie equipped 1 banger was probably considered pretty fast...

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Municipal bylaws for snowmobiles do not exceed 50kms/hr. The OFSC is also is a self insured organization and regulates the speed limits on private land to minimize liability... 

Have a look at some municipal bylaws and you will see as an example..   https://www.greatersudbury.ca/city-hall/by-laws/snowmobile-by-law/

11 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Municipal bylaws for snowmobiles do not exceed 50kms/hr. The OFSC is also is a self insured organization and regulates the speed limits on private land to minimize liability... 

Have a look at some municipal bylaws and you will see as an example..   https://www.greatersudbury.ca/city-hall/by-laws/snowmobile-by-law/

the msva sets it at 50kmh as a maximum In my opinion this is often abused by overzealous Police who enforce it on wide open sections of trail instead of on the tighter areas 

6 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

the msva sets it at 50kmh as a maximum In my opinion this is often abused by overzealous Police who enforce it on wide open sections of trail instead of on the tighter areas 

Municipality may prescribe different rate of speed

(2) The council of a municipality may by by-law prescribe,

(a) a lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon any highway or part thereof under its jurisdiction; and

(b) a higher or lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon a trail, public park or exhibition ground under its jurisdiction,

than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (2).

Minister may prescribe different rate of speed

(3) The Minister may by regulation prescribe a higher or lower rate of speed upon any trail or any part thereof, public park or exhibition ground not under the jurisdiction of a municipality, than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (3).

OK, good points, but I maintain 50k IS a joke for the VAST majority of trails I could consider to be worth spending the time and $ to ride.

What about crown land? 

Don't get me wrong, I understand riding at a safe pace for the conditions, visibility, etc.etc. but why an un-sustainable target that's almost universally ignored?

15 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

OK, good points, but I maintain 50k IS a joke for the VAST majority of trails I could consider to be worth spending the time and $ to ride.

What about crown land? 

Don't get me wrong, I understand riding at a safe pace for the conditions, visibility, etc.etc. but why an un-sustainable target that's almost universally ignored?

There are a lot of weekend warriors now that have the goal of getting from point a to point b as fast as they possibly can. We have all seen the people coming around the bend straight at you on the wrong side of the trail. Coming over the crest of a hill and being airborne as they are dead centre of the trail and similar. I wonder what would be the outcome if the speeds were increased. Those who are dangerous now would remain dangerous but would their numbers increase?

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

There are a lot of weekend warriors now that have the goal of getting from point a to point b as fast as they possibly can. We have all seen the people coming around the bend straight at you on the wrong side of the trail. Coming over the crest of a hill and being airborne as they are dead centre of the trail and similar. I wonder what would be the outcome if the speeds were increased. Those who are dangerous now would remain dangerous but would their numbers increase?

Careful not to get rider skill and speed mixed up.  There are lots of riders out there, who should not be riding at all. Its the brain behind the flipper that is THE problem, or lack thereof. I totally agree with the 50km/h in and around certain areas, but there are a lot of trails where it can be increased. In the Northern Corridor Du Nord, u would be run over at the speed...:icon_steer:

Archived