eye in the sky

Wildbill

Waste of money, time, and how about that chopper noise? Anyone else seriously annoyed by the York Region chopper buzzing around all the time ( usually at night ) doing seemingly nothing most days other than burning fuel and annoying people?

How many "corporate" interests can afford a helicopter in Canada these days? None. Only the real money grubbers can afford such toys and FORCE us to pay for it. Nice work, bravo. Better hope those pensions are respected when time comes.... young people might be young now, but they wont be forever and will be left paying these bills and its awful funny how clever someone gets when handed extreme bills to pay.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Running Wild said:

" Officials say aerial services can track riders who are speeding or risking safety by riding on closed trails and unsafe ice. "  The OPP and OFSC keep telling us no ice is safe. Will they be giving tickets to every sled on the ice? I don't think so. Many OFSC trails are on ice and some within 100 feet of open water all winter long. It's only unsafe if you go thru. Might as well say no highway is safe. There is no question riding on ice can be dangerous for all  for many reasons and especially for someone new to the sport.

RW

My mother who just retired from the sport thinks that is a stupid thing to say. Any time there is an ice-related death (including azzhats that ride into open water in the middle of the night) they trot that out...

20 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I'm actually quite surprised to read this from you, given the context of the thread.

To answer the question, those 6 people died on lakes and/or closed trails or other roadways.  Did any of them die on a groomed trail that was open ?  This is very black and white.  They died because either they were stupid, or they made a stupid decision. Period.  No (reasonable) amount of money spent by the OPP would change that fact.  The one who died up here is dead from the exact same thing ... stupidity, while the crippled survivor is now invalid because of his part in the incident, also being drunk and stupid.  AND UNINSURED. 

So the actual concern to me is, the lifestyle habits of those that are dead ultimately lead to their decisions on how, when and where to ride.  How do we fix THAT ???

And no amount of 'nannying' the province is going to change this. It gives the proponents for these ideas a warm & fuzzy feeling as they sit in their comfy chairs in Toronto & Orillia.

22 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I'm actually quite surprised to read this from you, given the context of the thread.

To answer the question, those 6 people died on lakes and/or closed trails or other roadways.  Did any of them die on a groomed trail that was open ?  This is very black and white.  They died because either they were stupid, or they made a stupid decision. Period.  No (reasonable) amount of money spent by the OPP would change that fact.  The one who died up here is dead from the exact same thing ... stupidity, while the crippled survivor is now invalid because of his part in the incident, also being drunk and stupid.  AND UNINSURED. 

So the actual concern to me is, the lifestyle habits of those that are dead ultimately lead to their decisions on how, when and where to ride.  How do we fix THAT ???

I could be mistaken but I believe I read that they would be looking for people on unsafe ice as part of the "plan" When I think of unsafe ice I default to Lake Simcoe where they are regularly having to rescue people, primarily fisherman, many on snowmobiles who have either gone through the ice or gone out only to find that a large chunk they are on has broken off and they are now adrift without anyway to get back.

Everyone seems to believe the intent is more than I believe it would be. As it stands there is and I believe always will be discretionary enforcement. Just like driving on hwy. 400. The OPP are not stopping people for driving 110 and it seems you need to be above 120 before you even catch their interest. Now if you are weaving in and out of traffic they have a problem with that. Apply the same principle to snowmobiles and I believe you will find they would possibly pay attention to the guy flying around the blind corner on the wrong side of the trail, cresting the hill airborne in the middle of the trail and similar.

I know there is discretionary enforcement for snowmobiles. I was stopped once at a radar check. I was over, admitted it, explained having just gotten out of very slow twists and turns the temptation was there. He checked license and insurance and said having everything else in order earns forgiveness. The guy giving his partner a bunch of attitude and WAY over the limit didn't get forgiveness.

So if they can make the trails safer from those who ride "dangerously" I am good with that.They say they responded to 27 snowmobile deaths in the winter of 2016-2017 – one third of which involved people travelling on frozen waterways who went through the ice.

13 minutes ago, crispy said:

Waste of money, time, and how about that chopper noise? Anyone else seriously annoyed by the York Region chopper buzzing around all the time ( usually at night ) doing seemingly nothing most days other than burning fuel and annoying people?

How many "corporate" interests can afford a helicopter in Canada these days? None. Only the real money grubbers can afford such toys and FORCE us to pay for it. Nice work, bravo. Better hope those pensions are respected when time comes.... young people might be young now, but they wont be forever and will be left paying these bills and its awful funny how clever someone gets when handed extreme bills to pay.

A co-worker used to rant about the DR's Air 1 all the time.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

I could be mistaken but I believe I read that they would be looking for people on unsafe ice as part of the "plan" When I think of unsafe ice I default to Lake Simcoe where they are regularly having to rescue people, primarily fisherman, many on snowmobiles who have either gone through the ice or gone out only to find that a large chunk they are on has broken off and they are now adrift without anyway to get back.

Everyone seems to believe the intent is more than I believe it would be. As it stands there is and I believe always will be discretionary enforcement. Just like driving on hwy. 400. The OPP are not stopping people for driving 110 and it seems you need to be above 120 before you even catch their interest. Now if you are weaving in and out of traffic they have a problem with that. Apply the same principle to snowmobiles and I believe you will find they would possibly pay attention to the guy flying around the blind corner on the wrong side of the trail, cresting the hill airborne in the middle of the trail and similar.

I know there is discretionary enforcement for snowmobiles. I was stopped once at a radar check. I was over, admitted it, explained having just gotten out of very slow twists and turns the temptation was there. He checked license and insurance and said having everything else in order earns forgiveness. The guy giving his partner a bunch of attitude and WAY over the limit didn't get forgiveness.

So if they can make the trails safer from those who ride "dangerously" I am good with that.They say they responded to 27 snowmobile deaths in the winter of 2016-2017 – one third of which involved people travelling on frozen waterways who went through the ice.

And those drownings are so random. 'One weekend a guy near Sharbot Lake, the next weekend near Blind River'. Add in @ night (the Jack's Lake drownings) or during inclement weather (heaven forbid it snow in the winter), will the chopper be out in these conditions as well?

I can't see how 1 chopper is going to make any difference. Now if it spends every weekend hovering over the Seguin (or another location close to Orillia) radioing cops @ a road crossing about speeding sleds...

6 minutes ago, revrnd said:

And those drownings are so random. 'One weekend a guy near Sharbot Lake, the next weekend near Blind River'. Add in @ night (the Jack's Lake drownings) or during inclement weather (heaven forbid it snow in the winter), will the chopper be out in these conditions as well?

I can't see how 1 chopper is going to make any difference. Now if it spends every weekend hovering over the Seguin (or another location close to Orillia) radioing cops @ a road crossing about speeding sleds...

Avoid those bluebird days. No likely they will be flying drones or helicopters on windy snowy days.

Would a police chopper have prevented this:

Reading elsewhere online & it appears that some sledders have drank the OPP's Kool-ade on this development...

The OPP have a real good relationship with the media and its ability to get their message out. We had an ice fisherman go through the ice here with his atv . Rest in peace. The media spin from global and ctv was that no ice is safe ice. It sounded as though he was just simply fishing and fell through the ice completely unexpectedly. The truth was that he was not ice fishing. He was seen earlier in a very intoxicated state. He had left his fishing sled at his cabin and was driving his atv 1/4 mile up an open river until he went in. It was Minus 18 and 630 at night . had zero to do with unsafe ice. At the time there was an average of 10 to 13 inches on the Lake. 

People who knew nothing about where he went in were telling me for a week that was crazy to go out on the lake. I don’t like pipes and guys who ride over their heads, or trespassers. Helicopters aren’t going to fix any of that, but it’s great spin for the OPP that they are on top of it. 

36 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

The OPP have a real good relationship with the media and its ability to get their message out. We had an ice fisherman go through the ice here with his atv . Rest in peace. The media spin from global and ctv was that no ice is safe ice. It sounded as though he was just simply fishing and fell through the ice completely unexpectedly. The truth was that he was not ice fishing. He was seen earlier in a very intoxicated state. He had left his fishing sled at his cabin and was driving his atv 1/4 mile up an open river until he went in. It was Minus 18 and 630 at night . had zero to do with unsafe ice. At the time there was an average of 10 to 13 inches on the Lake. 

People who knew nothing about where he went in were telling me for a week that was crazy to go out on the lake. I don’t like pipes and guys who ride over their heads, or trespassers. Helicopters aren’t going to fix any of that, but it’s great spin for the OPP that they are on top of it. 

ANY incident that happens on the ice brings out the 'No ice is safe ice' mantra.

Do we have a way of finding out how many officers are actually on the ground, on the trails?

Not the guys who sit at road X-ings in town in their cruisers. 

I met a couple of great guys last year, enjoying the trails, and providing a terrific service. We chatted for a while.

When I remarked about how I've never seen them in this area before, they told me how much ground those 2 sleds had in their jurisdiction.

They were the only ones. 2 sleds, one patrol.

No wonder I've never seen them. 

I suspect that someone mentioned that for all the blather about the pass being a MOT document, the licensing, and most of all, the insurance, (I suspect most of us pay more in insurance dues than all of the other legislated expenses) that we just weren't getting any of the protection we were paying for.

This is a ridiculous splashy political way to garner attention, and fill out a budget. 

From my stand point, most of the actual officers that have performed a trail side check that are actually on sleds and I guess part of the SAVE unit, were rather pleasant.....it has been the officers in their cruiser parked at a trail crossing that tend to sometime be not so pleasant.

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Do we have a way of finding out how many officers are actually on the ground, on the trails?

Not the guys who sit at road X-ings in town in their cruisers. 

I met a couple of great guys last year, enjoying the trails, and providing a terrific service. We chatted for a while.

When I remarked about how I've never seen them in this area before, they told me how much ground those 2 sleds had in their jurisdiction.

They were the only ones. 2 sleds, one patrol.

No wonder I've never seen them. 

I suspect that someone mentioned that for all the blather about the pass being a MOT document, the licensing, and most of all, the insurance, (I suspect most of us pay more in insurance dues than all of the other legislated expenses) that we just weren't getting any of the protection we were paying for.

This is a ridiculous splashy political way to garner attention, and fill out a budget. 

1 hour ago, stoney said:

From my stand point, most of the actual officers that have performed a trail side check that are actually on sleds and I guess part of the SAVE unit, were rather pleasant.....it has been the officers in their cruiser parked at a trail crossing that tend to sometime be not so pleasant.

I would imagine that the officers that are on the sleds are the outdoors type to start & look @ it as a break from dealing with idgit drivers.

I know they say never say never, but I've never had any miserable cops on sleds stop me. Say to them you have a question and they'll give you their 2 cents worth.

17 hours ago, revrnd said:

I would imagine that the officers that are on the sleds are the outdoors type to start & look @ it as a break from dealing with idgit drivers.

I know they say never say never, but I've never had any miserable cops on sleds stop me. Say to them you have a question and they'll give you their 2 cents worth.

x2

18 hours ago, revrnd said:

Likely the Save Team (The Snowmobile, ATV and Vessel Enforcement (SAVE)  Odot1 is eastern Save unit and there is also a Central Save Unit.  

I have always had good interactions with both units.  But some of the regional O.P.P also have sled patrols seperate from Save.

Haven't been stopped in the last 3 or 4 years. Maybe 10 times total in the last 30 years. Don't remember ever having a bad experience though.

Got stopped one time on a railway on first run with my then new 03 Rev. The one officer just kept asking me about it while sitting on it. Almost forgot to ask me for my paperwork. LOL

How things have changed for the worse.  My Uncle who was a retired OPP officer told me when he first started conducting roadside radar he had to place a sign several hundred meters back warning motorists!

There must be more than just a handful of police sleds as I see trailers at at least 3 different detachments regularly.

1 hour ago, DOOBEE said:

How things have changed for the worse.  My Uncle who was a retired OPP officer told me when he first started conducting roadside radar he had to place a sign several hundred meters back warning motorists!

There must be more than just a handful of police sleds as I see trailers at at least 3 different detachments regularly.

Exactly. The charter of rights dictated that, and the damn Liberal goons who literally PAY PEOPLE to go to court and use our tax dollars to create laws to use against us and make it easier and easier for government bullies to use the police as their private goons and strip away our rights inch by inch. We are living through the death of a thousand paper cuts within the court system right now. We need to rectify this, and how

I think this set up would be more cost-effective than a chopper:

50938134_1858751890920337_3262309969512366080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&oh=8a91fcb5d0a14cc8c5b0fde0b6e6f493&oe=5CBC47DF

Archived