all in...all done

rws

last ride 04/17/2018

season totals

6,022 miles (9,691 km)

189.3 hours

27 ride dates

longest single day ride 372 miles (599 km)

How many miles are now on your sled or was it new when the season started?

new sled

Time to wear out the SxSs now?

last ride 04/17/2018

season totals

6,022 miles (9,691 km)

189.3 hours

27 ride dates

longest single day ride 372 miles (599 km)

Hi rws,

I didn't get as many miles as you, but got about 5,000 miles without a single issue on the new 800cc Cat Motor except for the "fire breathing dragon" thing.  It never caused any real issues, but after running hard for a long time, idling was accompanied by flames puffing out the muffler.  When you hit the throttle it was instantly gone with no other issues, or I could just make the machine off with no other issues.

I never realized it was even happening until my daughter told me about it.  Didn't want to pull up to a gas pump idling after a long hard run! 

I talked to my service guy about it and he had not heard of it, but Cat knew all about it and sent an insert extension/flame arrestor and asked me to try it.  It stopped the issue completely, but may have stolen a bit of power.  I could not be sure as conditions are not always equal.  It seemed top end may have suffered just a bit.

Good on oil and I could make distances even the Doo 850's had to use the spare tank to make.  Not better mileage, just more fuel in the bigger tank.

Any issues at all on your new 800cc Cat ?

new sled

Rebuilding the drive train this summer or going to try to sneak another season out of it? 

Not sure how rws does it, but I have gone up to two seasons when I didn't have time to even grease bearings let alone "rebuild".  The 4 year warranty has never been used for any driveline related stuff since my 2012 Turbo MISTAKE and NIGHTMARE!  (9 drive line rebuilds in two seasons all under warranty.)

Over the off season I try to just grease all the bearings except those with oil against one of the seals like chain case bearings. I drop the undercarriage out to do it right and also put new sliders each season even if not really needed.  I do change the oil in the chain case and after two seasons open it up and look it over.  Pull the exhaust valves out also and clean them since it can cause big limp mode issues when they finally stop moving.  I have been selling sleds after 3 or 4 seasons lately so no real issues with the Cat's. 

When the kids were young I ran sleds forever and we rode much more since our lake was frozen and we ran around every day of the week.  Used to leave the sleds parked on the ice in front of the house.  Rode sleds to dinner every night of the week.  Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana had un-groomed trails everywhere.  We used all the frozen lakes in our area to connect.  I trailered much less and piled on miles much faster than now since lake running was fast and the kids rode everywhere too.  The avatar I use is my boy running down the lake along shore where the river current kept it from freezing.  I was surprised when I came across the video he and his friends had made.   

Since 2010 I have been leaving my sleds in my 4 place trailer and just commuting back and forth without the hassle of pulling a trailer.  Because the sleds are in Canada there is no working on them between trips.  That was a problem with the 4 strokes.  They have oil and filter change schedules which can't always be followed.  If we ride 1,500 miles over Christmas - New Years Holiday, how do you change the oil and filter at 500 miles which is usually the 2nd or 3rd day of a 10 day trip???  Once the filter is changed, I just started doing oil changes in my trailer rather then load it in the back of my truck and take it home.  4 strokes are lots more hassle when you crank lots of miles and don't bring them home.  Next season we will be back to all 2 strokes. 

Baby's are also put to bed here as well.

Season totals

2016 1389 miles

2018 1505 miles

Ttl     2894 miles.

Not to bad on the 18, picked it up Feb 16th

Hi rws,

I didn't get as many miles as you, but got about 5,000 miles without a single issue on the new 800cc Cat Motor except for the "fire breathing dragon" thing.  It never caused any real issues, but after running hard for a long time, idling was accompanied by flames puffing out the muffler.  When you hit the throttle it was instantly gone with no other issues, or I could just make the machine off with no other issues.

I never realized it was even happening until my daughter told me about it.  Didn't want to pull up to a gas pump idling after a long hard run! 

I talked to my service guy about it and he had not heard of it, but Cat knew all about it and sent an insert extension/flame arrestor and asked me to try it.  It stopped the issue completely, but may have stolen a bit of power.  I could not be sure as conditions are not always equal.  It seemed top end may have suffered just a bit.

Good on oil and I could make distances even the Doo 850's had to use the spare tank to make.  Not better mileage, just more fuel in the bigger tank.

Any issues at all on your new 800cc Cat ?

hot exhaust melted skid plate

exhaust staining all the way back to rear bumper

starter drive

hot exhaust melted skid plate

exhaust staining all the way back to rear bumper

starter drive

"Cat Cleaner" I buy at the dealer is really good at taking the exhaust stains off even the whites and light colors. 

If the starter messes up there is at least the pull starter.  Haven't had any issues with my starters, but one aluminum screw holding the starter gear to the clutch on an older Suzuki 800 lost the head of the screw last year.  Accidentally found the screw head and started looking around. Still worked fine with only one gone. They can only be torqued so tight and use the Loctite to keep them in place.  Guess there is a reason to use aluminum, but easy to over tighten.  My parts guy knew all about it, so may want to feel around the back side of the clutch to be sure?

The "exhaust insert" they gave me does extend the muffler tube just a bit which may be a good thing?  Even if I take the mesh out, I will keep the extension to route the gases down away just a bit farther.  Think it adds about a half inch or just a bit more?  No issues with the skid plate on mine, but the flames were pretty impressive in the dark! 

Did you ever see the flames when idling after a hard long run?  If not for my Daughter, I would never had known.

Archived