Kirkland Lake to Cochrane

Fergie

Change of plans.  In a previous post I was considering a ride this coming weekend in Quebec, but I have decided to stay in Ontario.

Thinking of staying in Kirkland Lake on Friday and Cochrane on Saturday.  The trails are showing green, but any real-world feedback would be appreciated.

Also looking for hotel recommendation in Kirkland Lake and Cochrane.  We stayed at the North Adventure Inn for our last time when we were in Cochrane last year.

Rode from Cochrane to Kirkland a week ago today.  Trails then were great, bit of road running around Val Gagne.

We stayed at the West Way, good access from trail, decent rooms.  Stay away from North Adventure Inn.

3 minutes ago, gobills said:

westway in cochrane for sure easy trail access

X2 stayed there again this year and now have their own little trail going straight to back of motel. Getting fuel won't be pretty anymore though. 

1 hour ago, crainer99 said:

Rode from Cochrane to Kirkland a week ago today.  Trails then were great, bit of road running around Val Gagne.

We stayed at the West Way, good access from trail, decent rooms.  Stay away from North Adventure Inn.

EXACTLY! 2 separate negative reports from this season.

Looking @ the GPS tracks & the road running west of Val Gagne is over 7 klicks long. No alternative to it. Too bad they couldn't get things corrected in that area.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

EXACTLY! 2 separate negative reports from this season.

Looking @ the GPS tracks & the road running west of Val Gagne is over 7 klicks long. No alternative to it. Too bad they couldn't get things corrected in that area.

What they need first IMHO is an active club locally.

We just got back from Cochrane 5 minutes ago. Trails are getting a little bumpy for 30 km out. Abitibi loop is still good. 

The best trail was A106C towards Timmins , but we just went 80 km , as far as the hwy. (itg shows red section but it’s open and groomed)  

Westway for sure 

4 minutes ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

We just got back from Cochrane 5 minutes ago. Trails are getting a little bumpy for 30 km out. Abitibi loop is still good. 

The best trail was A106C towards Timmins , but we just went 80 km , as far as the hwy. (itg shows red section but it’s open and groomed)  

Westway for sure 

It was same thing when I was there. Bumps started around smooth rock falls, corners were all chewed up. At westway that night there were around 80 sleds, lots of long tracks with huge paddles. I ran into lots of sledders at jr for ribs. They all said they were doing canyon wrong next day (Saturday). So we decided to run south since truck and trailer were in Timmins anyways. Beatuy trails that way. Seems most riders trailer to Cochrane instead of Timmins ( I always did since they are about the exact same distance for me. 

In KL, the A108 comes into the back of the Comfort Inn, which also has a big lot for trailers. The Microtel is on the far side of the road from the Comfort if you want to upscale a bit.

What everyone else said for Cochrane.

Thanks for the feedback.  We are booked at the Microtel in KL on Friday and Westway on Saturday.  I forgot to check with the Microtel regarding parking.  Can anyone confirm if they are usually ok with a truck and trailer parked in their lot for an extra day?

On a separate note, can anyone confirm why there is a small section on the A trail going south from Cochrane to Timmins that is closed?

2 hours ago, Fergie said:

Thanks for the feedback.  We are booked at the Microtel in KL on Friday and Westway on Saturday.  I forgot to check with the Microtel regarding parking.  Can anyone confirm if they are usually ok with a truck and trailer parked in their lot for an extra day?

On a separate note, can anyone confirm why there is a small section on the A trail going south from Cochrane to Timmins that is closed?

I do not see a section of A that is closed.  Can you be more specific?

18 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I do not see a section of A that is closed.  Can you be more specific?

Yesterday the yellow section of A106C from south of the river to L103 was red as was the portion of L103 that is now yellow.

Thanks.  I thought I was missing something.

3 hours ago, Fergie said:

I doubt they would have an issue, I'm sure a lot of sledders do it.  If you do need alternate parking, the Golden Corridor Snowdrifters facebook page has a list of "Park & Ride" locations that are right on the trail for your use.

https://www.facebook.com/GoldenCorridorSnowdrifters/

While in Kirkland Lake on business a couple weeks back staying at Microtel, the front desk told me they were fining truck / trailer combos that were parked haphazardly $ 275 because they were unattended whilst the owner was in Hearst Timmins etc. Big parking lot there so I believe you are ok if check with front desk and leave license plate info. 

Keep in mind the canyon gas is closed after April 8th.

Archived