Meanwhile in Quebec

revrnd

Bro' was telling me about this pic. The Timmins club had shared it on their Faceplant page:

5ac196dac99e2_StRaymondPQ.jpg.39375660e78f482cea7889bfa6c45f46.jpg

At 1st I thought it might've been in Kap' LOL Not sure why I didn't think of the Esso on Algonquin in Timmins, turns out it's in St Raymond Quebec.

16 minutes ago, gobills said:

lol

still probably a few weeks of sledding left there.

Here too (Corridor) if you can tolerate the crusty trail surface and parking lots, there's still some good riding to be had.  Not as thick a base as I'd like to see, but still very good.  Forest sections are much better than in town, obviously.

11 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Here too (Corridor) if you can tolerate the crusty trail surface and parking lots, there's still some good riding to be had.  Not as thick a base as I'd like to see, but still very good.  Forest sections are much better than in town, obviously.

Base was great when I went thru. Our base never got that thick in south in last three winters. 

21 hours ago, revrnd said:

Bro' was telling me about this pic. The Timmins club had shared it on their Faceplant page:

At 1st I thought it might've been in Kap' LOL Not sure why I didn't think of the Esso on Algonquin in Timmins, turns out it's in St Raymond Quebec.

The word "libre" on the gas price sign didn't clue you in? An interesting historical fact - when visiting Expo 67 in Montreal in 1967, President of France Charles deGaulle was thought to have been heard to say "Vivre le Quebec, Libre" which of course caused a big fuss - thinking this would boost the separatist cause. What he did in fact say was "Vivre le Quebec Livre" - "hurrah for Quebec books" and who could argue with that? But the damage was already done. Fake news.

17 hours ago, slomo said:

The word "libre" on the gas price sign didn't clue you in? An interesting historical fact - when visiting Expo 67 in Montreal in 1967, President of France Charles deGaulle was thought to have been heard to say "Vivre le Quebec, Libre" which of course caused a big fuss - thinking this would boost the separatist cause. What he did in fact say was "Vivre le Quebec Livre" - "hurrah for Quebec books" and who could argue with that? But the damage was already done. Fake news.

My mom and my sister have made a few (several?) trips to France over the years. My mom teaches (taught?)* French and Spanish at high skewl level - with personal favorite being French. My sister does not teach it (currently?) but she is fluent and spent a summer there one year while she was in college I guess? Anyhow - while in France, she was roomed with a gal from K-bec. The gal from K-bec was absolutely beside herself as the poor language that the folks from France used. Improper this and slang that ....

While the folks in France's language has evolved (as has ours) over the years, the folks from K-bec are more true to the verbage of 300 years ago, as well as it has maybe evolved a bit - but in a different direction - with accents or whatnot... So - not knowing more than a handfull of French words myself, I can see how the masses could misinterpret what they thought that they heard on a PA system. Not unlike us listening to Churchill's "Fight in the Streets" speach.

Me personally - as with most folks that I know from the rural corn belt - am Kraut, and I don't speak hardly a word of that... But my brother has moved to Viena, and was possibly teaching Kraut for a while in Berlin .... at a JFK skewl. (I can't make this Shiite up!)

* She has been teaching French online to small skewls around the last few years, but I don't think that she continued that this year?

On 4/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, revrnd said:

Great picture, I hope they told something to each other. 

Ox, to quote Valentin Zuchovski from "Goldeneye" .... 

"You and I had betterrr have a drrrink ..." ...

I'd love to hang out with you sometime. I'm a fan of different accents and dialects. I can hear your accent in your writing.

And yes about Quebec and their language being more proper French. Francophone communities like Hearst are similarly correct in our French usage. 

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Ox, to quote Valentin Zuchovski from "Goldeneye" .... 

"You and I had betterrr have a drrrink ..." ...

I'd love to hang out with you sometime. I'm a fan of different accents and dialects. I can hear your accent in your writing.

And yes about Quebec and their language being more proper French. Francophone communities like Hearst are similarly correct in our French usage

Interesting observation Denis007 - back in Sudbury my  bilingual girlfriend would speak in English most of the time, unless she was haranguing me for something in which she would let rip en Francais - although it was some kind of dialect called joule (sp?) ? Try as I might to comprehend, it came out as something like a small chainsaw running on bust....je..ne..paaah..caPAAAAAAAAAAbleaux....nothing like the French we learned at school, which was Parisian?

and yes Ox is a great story teller...has been on this forum for several years on and off. Still remember the story about his daughter and the wolf although not all the details...

and yes Ox is a great story teller...has been on this forum for several years on and off. Still remember the story about his daughter and the wolf although not all the details...

I've been here since it started - as the Ontario traffic left Trail Conditions dot com, but I hang in the NORTH board, which has been getting less and less traffic. I was directed here to read aboot Scott's Gaspe' trip, only to find out that 90% of the north threads are posted here these days. I find this bothersome, but I guess it's not up to me....

22 hours ago, Ox said:

Me personally - as with most folks that I know from the rural corn belt - am Kraut, and I don't speak hardly a word of that... But my brother has moved to Viena, and was possibly teaching Kraut for a while in Berlin .... at a JFK skewl. (I can't make this Shiite up!)

I guess I'd better watch how I use the term squarehead from now on (a paternal great-grandmother was the last ancestor to speak German).

17 hours ago, Denis007 said:

And yes about Quebec and their language being more proper French. Francophone communities like Hearst are similarly correct in our French usage. 

Denis, I was impressed back in '07 when I was eating late @ the Companion after rolling in around 7:30 on the train. There were 2 waitresses working & could easily switch back & forth between the languages.  The 1 girl who's English was VERY good said that she only learned it when she moved to Sudbury to go to Cambran College (Boreale didn't offer the course). IMO their language skills were vastly superior to our supposedly intellectually better politicians.

6 hours ago, slomo said:

Interesting observation Denis007 - back in Sudbury my  bilingual girlfriend would speak in English most of the time, unless she was haranguing me for something in which she would let rip en Francais - although it was some kind of dialect called joule (sp?) ? Try as I might to comprehend, it came out as something like a small chainsaw running on bust....je..ne..paaah..caPAAAAAAAAAAbleaux....nothing like the French we learned at school, which was Parisian?

Reminds me of Natalie Pardy (Gagnon Sports in Oshawa). I was @ the former location on Simcoe Street getting a fishing or hunting licence. The store adjoined the house & the door was open. She was asking me the pertinent questions for the licence & then suddenly yelled a string of words in French @ the boys who were rough housing in the next room. Then she was back to asking me another question.

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I guess I'd better watch how I use the term squarehead from now on (a paternal great-grandmother was the last ancestor to speak German).

"Squarehead" or "Tête Carrée " is a term I grew up with that referred to English speakers.   Something I learned only a few years ago is that the English use the same term when referring to Germans and Scandinavians.

I'm familiar with Slope's, but never heard of Squares.

I guess if one exists, than that precludes that there must be the opposite?

My grandparents were told to quit speaking Kraut when they started skewl, especially considering that _ that was during or soon after the first Great War.

The township just east of me is "German Township".

Yeah - we're Krauts! 

44 minutes ago, Ultrafrozen said:

"Squarehead" or "Tête Carrée " is a term I grew up with that referred to English speakers.   Something I learned only a few years ago is that the English use the same term when referring to Germans and Scandinavians.

I've heard it used in northern Ontario for a dumb person which puzzled me. My mother always called the Old Man that when she was mad @ him. Plus working as a tool & die maker, there were a lot in the trade & that's what we called them.

Archived