InReach vs SPOT

sledjunk

I am considering an InReach unit for next year to replace my SPOT.

For anyone currently using one, I have some questions.

When you have the unit connected via bluetooth to your phone, do you have to keep the connection active for the whole time that it is on, or can you only connect when you want to send a new message?  Does the bluetooth connection for the app interfere with the bluetooth hands-free connection from the phone? 

My phone already has issues with battery life over a full day ride with the spotty cell service in some areas and the bluetooth hands-free connection to my intercom.  I really don't want to burn battery life running an app that I (hopefully) will not need to use.

Thanks for the help.

You need a phone* to make this gizmo work?

It's not a stand-alone gizmo?

* Ass_u_ming a "smart" phone at that?

I have been thinking about the inReach for a few years now and have decided that I will have one before next season , 80% of my sledding is in areas with no cell coverage and add a gps to it is perfect . The plan is not very expensive and you can suspend the service without notice for $2.95 month .

32 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

My phone already has issues with battery life over a full day ride with the spotty cell service in some areas and the bluetooth hands-free connection to my intercom.  I really don't want to burn battery life running an app that I (hopefully) will not need to use.

Thanks for the help.

If you switch your phone to airplane mode it will not burn up your battery searching for a cell signal that is not there , and you do not need to have a phone paired to the inreach for it to work, just makes it easier to text and use.

Copied my response from the conversation over in "safety suggestion" (there is some good info there too.):

The new Garmin inreach looks like a pretty slick set up. 

The original inreach was a small device almost like a SPOT unit, it paired with a smartphone or Bluetooth compatible device and used the device interface to send texts and data via satellite.

inreach was acquired by garmin recently and they are now integrating the inreach tech into a garmin device. You get the best of both worlds, handheld GPS unit for tracking and mapping, and the inreach unit built in for texting and emailing/data via satellite. It also still has the SOS button for emergencies. The biggest improvement over SPOT is you can text with emergency service dispatch (24/7 monitored) and update them on your situation, and they can in turn give you (potentially lifesaving) instructions until they arrive on scene. It would also be useful to be able to send an SOS if you come across an injured party on the trail, and make first responders aware it wasn't you, or the nearest best place to

land a helo.

I looked into it quite extensively as our camp is very remote with no cell service, id use it for work emails/texts and emergencies. General consensus was jack

of all trades, master of none - screen too small for heavy duty GPS use, and it was clumsy for long texts and emails (like a 15 year old cell phone) luckily you can still pair it via Bluetooth and use your device to do the actual typing to remedy that.

I ended up going with a high end Garmin straight GPS unit as I wanted to do a lot of fairly intensive mapping, however I could see going to the inreach when I'm just using it for basic tracking/guidance, or when they have it a little more streamlined/refined.

The Garmin inreach explorer essentially is a combination of the original Delorne  inreach (before garmin purchased) and SPOT.

Garmin has taken the basic functions of SPOT (SOS button, realtime tracking) and added the inreach features on top, with its own GPS unit.

With the garmin inreach having its own screen, you don't even really need to pair with a smartphone (unless you want to do long texts/emails or social media.) There are pre loaded easy responses sent with 1 button for common messages (ie. arrived safely, staying extra night, non emergency but send help, etc.)

that being said, if you need to pair it with your smartphone to send longer or custom messages, or to access social media, it can simply be paired only when you want to use it (disconnect it to save battery when not in use.) Also, I have a pretty slick GPS app I use on my phone for creating trails, the GPS signal does not the cell signal, so simply turn on airplane mode. Very impressive how long the iPhone lasts when it's not searching for a cell tower! Just watch out don't let it get too cold or battery goes quick.

best thing to do for garmin info is talk to a salesperson - I had my best experience at SAIL - the only

place I could find that actually had stock you could put in your hand and see how

it worked. All other major retailers I checked were online order only!

Archived