Safety suggestion

andreyboater

I just wonder, for this time of year when groomers stop operating and not to many people on trail.

Foe example, this Monday I did 190km and didn't see even one person. 

So, are there any safety suggestion for solo riders in case if machine will be down.

I think not to much fun to spend night in forest.

Thank's

Andrey take the list of peoples names on here.  We seem to have very good coverage.  I realize you may not have cell coverage in certain areas.  Your other option is to get spot tracker a few guys on here have it and it works on satellite.  I hear nothing but good things.  You can follow the person online its actually very neat to see the persons movement throughout the day.  Carry matches at least you will be able to start a fire regardless of where you are.

For me, Peace-of-mind is my SPOT Tracker.  I setup the link ahead of time, then email it to several people including some that are located at stop locations along the way.  Those individuals take an interest and actually follow the map.  Hope this helps.

On another note, a retired friend of mine flipped his ATV in the wilderness during the summer and it had him pinned in such a way that he could not crawl out.  Thank goodness he had a SPOT.  Help arrived 3 hours later, to get the bike off him.

Dan

Below is a picture of the Orange Spot3 gobills mentioned. It's a satellite tracker that has an SOS button in case of emergency. If you saw my New Brunswick post below you can see the type of tracks it leaves that anyone you provide your Spot3 web page log in to can follow you on your trip.

Spot3 is old technology now as there is no ability to text in an emergency situation. The dispatch centre will know your location but have no idea what your needs are. 

INREACH is the new system that anyone wanting tracking and emergency help via satellites so cell coverage is not needed would want to look at. I haven't spend much time researching then inReach but it has texting ability via satellites so you can text home or in case of an emergency communicate with the dispatch centre what the situation is and requirement re medical or logistics required for a rescue. I think the newest inreach may also be used as gps mapping also if you don't already use a gps.

Both units you buy the hardware then require yearly subscription fee. Think my Spot3 is $220.00 approx. Haven't looked into the InReach fee plan.

Riding solo think everyone should have one, even those riding in groups it would be ideal that someone had one

Steve

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

I, too, always carry my SPOT unit and am thinking of upgrading to the InReach next year. 

However, even though you do not see anyone during your ride, that does not mean that there is no one else out there.  A case in point from my last ride, when the first group of riders came to the tree across the trail, they were alone.  Within a short time, at least two other groups were there as well.  They commented that they had not seen another rider all day, but as soon as they were stopped, there were others there.

This does not mean that I advocate not being prepared, (anyone who knows me can attest to that), but it does offer a little more peace of mind that there is a possibility of help arriving.

The new Garmin inreach looks like a pretty slick set up. 

The original inreach was a small device almost like a SPOT unit, it paired with a smartphone or Bluetooth compatible device and used the device interface to send texts and data via satellite.

inreach was acquired by garmin recently and they are now integrating the inreach tech into a garmin device. You get the best of both worlds, handheld GPS unit for tracking and mapping, and the inreach unit built in for texting and emailing/data via satellite. It also still has the SOS button for emergencies. The biggest improvement over SPOT is you can text with emergency service dispatch (24/7 monitored) and update them on your situation, and they can in turn give you (potentially lifesaving) instructions until they arrive on scene. It would also be useful to be able to send an SOS if you come across an injured party on the trail, and make first responders aware it wasn't you, or the nearest best place to

land a helo.

I looked into it quite extensively as our camp is very remote with no cell service, id use it for work emails/texts and emergencies. General consensus was jack

of all trades, master of none - screen too small for heavy duty GPS use, and it was clumsy for long texts and emails (like a 15 year old cell phone) luckily you can still pair it via Bluetooth and use your device to do the actual typing to remedy that.

I ended up going with a high end Garmin straight GPS unit as I wanted to do a lot of fairly intensive mapping, however I could see going to the inreach when I'm just using it for basic tracking/guidance, or when they have it a little more streamlined/refined.

Thank you guys, I use some basic rules. Always have spare gas, lighter, flash light, axe, hunting knife, fire starter, medical emergency kit. 

Leave note for family or friends where are you going, route, hotels and return date. Also stay on trail don't leave it for short cut. 

Matches? Have you ever tried to start a fire in the bush in the snowbank with matches?

I must admit that we had waterproof matches when we left for our first romp in Algoma back in '96, but fortunately one kind soul told us to put down the matches and fetch some road flares.

Take it from someone that has spent more than one night in the bush, in the winter, unexpectedly - get the flares!

Also - I just dropped my sat phone account. Had it since 2000. My equipment was getting tired and I wasn't even using it, or hardly going to the bush these last few years.

Dropped it with anticipation of fetching on of those InReach type units soon in stead.

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

Matches? Have you ever tried to start a fire in the bush in the snowbank with matches?

I must admit that we had waterproof matches when we left for our first romp in Algoma back in '96, but fortunately one kind soul told us to put down the matches and fetch some road flares.

Take it from someone that has spent more than one night in the bush, in the winter, unexpectedly - get the flares!

Also - I just dropped my sat phone account. Had it since 2000. My equipment was getting tired and I wasn't even using it, or hardly going to the bush these last few years.

Dropped it with anticipation of fetching on of those InReach type units soon in stead.

Interesting point about the road flares!  Thanks

1 hour ago, Ox said:

The Road flares are great idea. Not familiar with the new ones. Are they waterproof , I'm guessing they self ignite when you pull the cap off?

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Yes many times I have started fires in the snow.  Spent lots of time in the bush   

I can see how a flare would be quicker though. Never used one to start a fire I'll try it out.

1 hour ago, Fuse6 said:

The Road flares are great idea. Not familiar with the new ones. Are they waterproof , I'm guessing they self ignite when you pull the cap off?

I don't know what "new ones" are?

Any that I have ever had - you pop the top off and turn it around and strike the flare with the cap to light.

You git 20 minutes of HOT flare to dry out and light whatever scrub that you can find - noting that if you are "camping" unexpectedly, you likely don't have all of the tools that you would in your truck to produce clean, dry, kinlin, and you are only gathering what you can find above the snow line.

Also - you would want to shovel (?) down to the dirt to start your fire, or - at least gather many pine boughs to lay down first to build your fire on. We tried this once with poor results, but my chum was in a hurry to light it. I wanted to gather many more boughs.

Birch bark is the #1 kinlin (sp?) in any areas that I ride yonder anyhow, but there are days that _ that is really wet, and will not just light with a Bic. And getting bigger twigs and such to light (especially when wet) with a match prolly less likely. Of course there is the tampon in the gas tank trick if you want to carry one of those around. I'll stick with the flares. I've used them, and they work very well!

A group of Yanks took a wrong turn S of Wawa a cpl yrs ago and ended up on Cross-over rd near Millwood instead of Tik, and spent the night out. (It was a VERY cold night!) The snow was deep, and they had a large group. I seen the hole they dug in the middle of the road - down to dirt. This also shelters you and your fire from the wind, and will help to hold any heat in. They did a good job.

My personal experience with fires in the snowbank are that 95% of the heat generated by the fire - is the sweat produced by fetchin' wood out in the snowbank continually. 

The fire does WAY more for mental porpoises than anything physical in this application.

If you have enough tools to take the seat off of your sled, that will give you a warm, and comfy place to sit.

We used to carry large tarps and -30 sleeping bags when breaking the Searchmont trail open yrs ago. And even snowshoes for several years. But once we got the 800cc mtn sleds, we really didn't need them nearly as much, and eventually dropped them. But we have used all but the snowshoes.

I carry a 12' X 8' tarp and a folding trenching shovel. There are quite a few Youtube videos around this one below that shows how to build a quinzee...survival shelter - problem with most is the assumption you have a shovel. Having a tarp you use as a "tent" on which to pile snow saves a lot of work - the snow is great insulation. Similar equipment kept me alive when my truck stopped running due to watery gas (two gas line containers did no good) between Yellowknife and Fort Rae in February. Took about 8 hours until a transport came by - poured methyl from a gallon container into the air intake and finally got going. Good thing - no cable, low on smokes. Ms.slomo got a job flying air medivac so had joined her initial winter survival training course and it paid off well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfUKpDJPkB8

As Ox will tell you (as he has posted here in the past) carrying bear or buffalo hides around does not work well - too heavy. Also, as I found out, never underestimate the ability of a warm stream of urine to warm your fingers to perform things needing a good degree of manual dexterity - such as striking a match. Those fire starter sticks or paste that you buy work well I find. Have to look into the flares. Good tip, but most boating disaster movies feature huge explosions after one of the flares gets lit up - by accident or otherwise!

Yeah, well this aint no episode of Walker - Texas Ranger.... :rolleyes:

On 3/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, andreyboater said:

Thank you guys, I use some basic rules. Always have spare gas, lighter, flash light, axe, hunting knife, fire starter, medical emergency kit. 

Leave note for family or friends where are you going, route, hotels and return date. Also stay on trail don't leave it for short cut. 

Add an Emergency blanket (foil type), as they are small, light and you can either wrap yourself or use as a wind break. I carry 550 cord as part of my key ring, also some long wire ties, and always have a few energy bar type things with me. Lastly, in my opinion, any temp lower than -20c, rethink riding alone; issues take on a whole other level of severity below the -20's. 

20180329_115833.jpg

Those space blankets may be the lynx's meow for a hiker in the spring through fall, but when you already are dressed for freezing temps - that pc of tinfoil has but one use that I could figger out (after trying it for a bit once). I tossed it up in a small tree expecting that a plane or chopper would see it - should the sun ever appear in our corner of the world in winter.... However - one good use could be to sit on it and use it as a water barrier so's your ass-ets don't get wet. ... I know - y'all wear Klim and can sit down in the crick don't get wet ... whatever ....

There is a chance that maybe you could unfold it a cpl of times and use that below your pine boughs for a fire?

One other very good thing that I have heard, but never had cause to try - and that is to dig in down under the lower boughs of a big jack pine. I have even heard mention of building a fire down there, but that would seem to try to catch the boughs on fire, and melt any snow on any boughs above it - turning it into a drippy mess - rather than a dry place to hide out.

My point being that those space blankets have about zero value for their intended porpoise (in our case) unless maybe you fall through the beaver pond ...

we carry the portable bivy bags, a bit thicker than the space blankets of old. about the size of a roll of TP. fits right in the backpack. haven't had to try them out yet should, just to make sure they will do what they say they will.

I always carry, shovel with saw blade, pocket chain saw, leatherman/gerber tool, sandvic (bush axe), tarps, zip ties, wire, fire starter (several kinds), butane torch, stainless cup to melt snow, make water, from snow/ice. freeze dried meal, lipton cup o' soup, granola bars, jerky, couple bottles of water, candy... things to make you comfortable, to take your mind off the situation you are in, until help arrives.

I figure I have enough for 3 nights in the bush... anymore than that, and I will be in trouble if help doesn't arrive. ALWAYS tell someone the area we are riding, if we don't show up by 9 pm, start worrying.  contact them when we are in town safe. common sense. Ski

ALWAYS tell someone the area we are riding, if we don't show up by 9 pm, start worrying

I believe that the OP mentioned this as well ....

We called ahead the first time that we camped out and fully expected that they would be coming for us the next day (hopefully with gas) but by 4:00 we dicided that we needed to get to gatherin' firwood for another night. The other end knew that we didn't make it, but they had reports of guides through the same area turning around b/c they couldn't find the trail doo to 18" snow the day before, so they ass_u_med we did too. (They didn't know us real well at that time)

Another time - we called ahead to the next town, and when we got there I announced that "we" had made it in from the last town. Clerk shrugg'd and what-ever - OK'd it, and continued on. Didn't git the warm fuzzy feeling of secureness that night either....

Now the last time that we camped out - they knew that we didn't make it, and sent a 5'er of gas with the next group through. (we had burnt through 20 gal each and came up short of Halfway - which we were to have been the very first customers for that night - but we were a night late, and with others.... (&^%%$$#@!)

That was all the late 90's. Again - I was looking at all my options at the time, and was considering a bag/radio phone, but with those they made you "buy on" to any tower that you think that you will need.  I guess that's fine if I only ride one spot - but what the fun in that! So then I bought the sat phone fall on 2000, and haven't "needed" it since. Have used it to make things handy and well communicated (don't hold supper for us - we will be "late" - and roll in at 2am) but - again - with the bigger sleds, it's just not been an issue. But who knows what could happen?

Point being - it's better to have your own SPOT or whatnot than to rely on a voice on the other end of the trail!

God Bless the Child

5 hours ago, Ox said:

One other very good thing that I have heard, but never had cause to try - and that is to dig in down under the lower boughs of a big jack pine. I have even heard mention of building a fire down there, but that would seem to try to catch the boughs on fire, and melt any snow on any boughs above it - turning it into a drippy mess - rather than a dry place to hide out.

ANOTHER WHITE HOUSE STAFFER GONE.....

OHIO SLEDDER UNFAMILIAR WITH AMERICAN STORY TELLER JACK LONDON ENRAGES TRUMP -  FIRES SECRETARY FOR EDUCATION....

Furore begins over London short story "To Build a Fire"...

5abd83007c763_trumptweet.jpg.447b0c4a70f7b3e2a1e397119997bfa4.jpg

5abd839b5b0d3_shortstory.thumb.jpg.d5a43faf956bb8d31d2ad47ca1a96113.jpg

Full Short Story Here:

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/BuiFir.shtml

Reader's Digest Version

The old-timer had been very serious in laying down the law that no man must travel alone in the

Klondike after fifty below. Well, here he was; he had had the accident; he was alone; and he had

saved himself. Those old-timers were rather womanish, some of them, he thought. All a man had to do

was to keep his head, and he was all right. Any man who was a man could travel alone. But it was

surprising, the rapidity with which his cheeks and nose were freezing. And he had not thought his

fingers could go lifeless in so short a time. Lifeless they were, for he could scarcely make them

move together to grip a twig, and they seemed remote from his body and from him. When he touched a

twig, he had to look and see whether or not he had hold of it. The wires were pretty well down

between him and his finger-ends..........................

...............................It was his own fault or, rather, his mistake. He should not have built the fire under the spruce

tree. He should have built it in the open. But it had been easier to pull the twigs from the brush

and drop them directly on the fire. Now the tree under which he had done this carried a weight of

snow on its boughs. No wind had blown for weeks, and each bough was fully freighted. Each time he

had pulled a twig he had communicated a slight agitation to the tree - an imperceptible agitation,

so far as he was concerned, but an agitation sufficient to bring about the disaster. High up in the

tree one bough capsized its load of snow. This fell on the boughs beneath, capsizing them. This

process continued, spreading out and involving the whole tree. It grew like an avalanche, and it

descended without warning upon the man and the fire, and the fire was blotted out! Where it had

burned was a mantle of fresh and disordered snow.......................

;)

I rest my case.....

Although I waited for the movie, and the VHS tape that I have is of VERY poor quality.

Need to update one of these decades....

I take it that you fully built that tweet?

I've only heard FFS north of 49.

(Not that I've spent much time in NY/NY)

But I doo listen to Ole' Blue Eyes....

Archived