Marten River to New Liskeard

snowgirl

Wondering how the A trail is from Marten River to New Liskeard?  The south part of the trail is yellow.  Has anyone been on this trail recently?  Is it due to lack of snow, no grooming, or road running?

I met a solo sledder Saturday afternoon, around 2:00 pm, in Kirkland Lake that rode up from North Bay that morning.  He mentioned that he didn't know why the trail was listed "yellow" because it was in great shape.  He was actually heading up to Cochrane if he could find a room.

Rode A from New Liskard to Temagami and back Friday and was in great shape.

23 minutes ago, jimbob said:

Rode A from New Liskard to Temagami and back Friday and was in great shape.

Same ride Sunday and was still in great shape.

The A Trail from Temagami to New Liskeard is being groomed right now.  The short section that Tri-Town manages south of Temagami (17 km) will be groomed tomorrow night.  Weather is supposed to be good through next week.  Sun is making a mess of plowed roads so I'm not sure how the Wilson / Tonomo Lake roads are but they were good last week when I was down there.

Last Friday afternoon we rode from Sand Dam Lake Road to Temagami.

95% of the trail was almost perfect.

To isolate the bad places......Tonomo Lake Road and most of Wilson Lake Road were excellent, but the northern 2 kms of Wilson Lake Road was sketchy, but still passable, with some bare patches that required a weaving path to stay on snow. Between there and Temagami, Lowell Lake Road had a very bad 0.5 km section, because plowing for a construction project removed almost all of the snow and left a trail of rock and sand, with a bit of ice.

Everything else was lovely.

3 hours ago, snowgirl said:

Wondering how the A trail is from Marten River to New Liskeard?  The south part of the trail is yellow.  Has anyone been on this trail recently?  Is it due to lack of snow, no grooming, or road running?

See my Hwy 11 Viewpoint thread

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like everything should be good other than road running.  Might decide to trailer to Temagami and leave from there.  Does anyone know where we could leave truck/trailer in Temagami for a night?

There is a public lot in Temagami for trailer parking.  When you arrive in Temagami take the first right by the Train Station.  There is parking on either side of the road.  Just don't park in the medical centre's parking lot.

The Temagami parking option sounds interesting. I assume overnight parking is allowed?

To clarify, I wouldn't hesitate to run from Sand Dam to Temagami again this week. The poor spots were minimal, and caused no harm to our sleds. The other 95% was great.

Rode both directions from our cottage near Latchford over the weekend. Awesome trails.

54 minutes ago, -crz- said:

Rode both directions from our cottage near Latchford over the weekend. Awesome trails.

How far south did you go?  Did you ride the section on Lowell Lake Rd?  No big issues?

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

The Temagami parking option sounds interesting. I assume overnight parking is allowed?

To clarify, I wouldn't hesitate to run from Sand Dam to Temagami again this week. The poor spots were minimal, and caused no harm to our sleds. The other 95% was great.

Where's Sand Dam?

1 minute ago, snowgirl said:

Where's Sand Dam?

Sand Dam Rd runs east off 11 quite a ways north of North Bay. Its in a valley that has a long passing lane in either direction. There is a large highway sign marking it. I've seen on the forums that a lot of guys drop there to start trips.

Sand Dam Road is 19.2 kms north of the junction of Highways 11 and 17.

Parking lot is 100 metres from junction of Sand Dam Rd and Highway 11. Huge lot looks like it could hold 30 truck-trailer combos. Stub trail from the parking lot puts you on A102Q in ten seconds, then you turn right and go to the Highway crossing, and proceed to the junction of A102Q and A/D.

sand dam road.png

1 hour ago, snowgirl said:

How far south did you go?  Did you ride the section on Lowell Lake Rd?  No big issues?

Sorry, just down to Temagami.

25 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Sand Dam Road is 19.2 kms north of the junction of Highways 11 and 17.

Parking lot is 100 metres from junction of Sand Dam Rd and Highway 11. Huge lot looks like it could hold 30 truck-trailer combos. Stub trail from the parking lot puts you on A102Q in ten seconds, then you turn right and go to the Highway crossing, and proceed to the junction of A102Q and A/D.

sand dam road.png

Blake, thanks for posting the pic. I wasn't sure where the lot was, just heard the road mentioned.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Sand Dam Rd runs east off 11 quite a ways north of North Bay. Its in a valley that has a long passing lane in either direction. There is a large highway sign marking it. I've seen on the forums that a lot of guys drop there to start trips.

I am not sure that a lot of people park at the lot on Sand Dam rd over night ,  it is very isolated .

We ended up riding from Lake Nipissing in Monetville all the way to New Liskeard yesterday, and back today.  Overall trails were just beautiful :).  We had no issues with the road running between Marten River and Temagami.  The bad sections were short.  We did do a bit of off trail riding in one section where the road looked really bad.  I can only guess that it was to bypass Lowell Lake Road.  We followed tracks.  Road running aside, from Marten River to New Liskeard was fantastic!  All freshly groomed.   It was a great 2 day trip to end my winter riding season.  And I did see the parking lot in Temagami, by the medical centre.  It's great for future planning.

Archived