• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Works for me!!!!

I figured you'd like that LOL

On 3/17/2018 at 2:28 PM, Claire Voyant said:

Hi Revrnd,

To answer your question: no not a Corridor shelter. Think it's just someone's fishing shack.  I understand the Corridor is thinking about putting a warm-up shack on the L123 at the junction of the L145. Maybe for next year.

And FYI, although identified as Lac Meilleur on the ITG, the locals refer to it as Fanning Lake. Not sure why the difference. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their ride up this way. 

Rubber side down!

p.s. our favourite place is Tyler's - attached to the Sunshine Tavern (a block north of O'Briens). Except for the Circle, you can drive your sleds on any street in Kap. 

That's probably a good idea as there arn't any spots along the trail west of the Arctic Riders section of TOP A.

The trail bypasses the Mattice clubhouse & it would appear that the Les Promeneurs' (Opaz') clubhouse is unsuable (hydro meter gone). When we rode by it on Sat', there was a group of sledders standing around beside their sleds & the deck was covered in snow. On the return trip Denis pointed @ it. I noticed there was a narrow path in the snow up the stairs. I guess people have been checking to see if the 'house' was open.

Doing a mileage check & it was 23.3 mpg or 11.9/L for the 3 days of riding in Sport mode.

YMMV

12 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Doing a mileage check & it was 23.3 mpg or 11.9/L for the 3 days of riding in Sport mode.

YMMV

Sport mode?  what's that?  :-) 

2 minutes ago, Evil said:

Sport mode?  what's that?  :-) 

:D

The opposite of Eco mode.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up w/ you guys. I had gotten out of my gear when sledjunk got the message that you had passed by the motel. Otherwise I probably would've buzzed over for a visit.

Does the trip from Kap to Timmins seem a lot longer w/ the SRF portion of TOP C closed?

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

:D

The opposite of Eco mode

Oh, I tried the Eco mode last weekend to see how it works...........................so painful.  didn't last long!  :-) 

1 minute ago, Evil said:

Oh, I tried the Eco mode last weekend to see how it works...........................so painful.  didn't last long!  :-) 

In comes in handy loading it on a trailer, that's about it LOL

You could get a little EVIL sticker to put over the SPORT icon ;-)

I have a friend, he always on eco mode when we group riding, sometimes I wanna kill him:D 

I would like to thank all who rode with me this past week in Kap. I remember your names but not all your screen names. You are mentioned throughout this thread. I had a blast and now confident in riding the far northern region and look forward to returning to ride again. Trails were and still are fantastic and I recommend everyone get up north now and ride. I put on 1000km on my newer sled in four days. I try to learn a little history about the areas I ride in and the Kap area is deep with history from the Spruce Falls Mill producing newsprint for the New York Times, the Ressor Siding massacre of 1963, the Pinetree Radar Line that dotted the northern edge of the province to protect us from the Ruskies and their missiles and the internment camp during WW1. I need to look up Moonbeam and figure out why the alien theme to the area. I was amazed with the Moonbeam community coming out to the clubhouse on Sundays for a meal and help support the local snowmobile club. There appeared to be more locals than snowmobilers having brunch on Sunday. I look forward to meeting up with you all again and ride with other OC'rs.

Jerry

20180318_120426.JPG

20180321_180747.JPG

P3180006.JPG

P3180007.JPG

P3190015.JPG

P3200017.JPG

P3200022.JPG

P3210026.JPG

20180321_131803.JPG

P3210027.JPG

P3180003.JPG

Nice post and great pics.  It was great meeting and riding with you.

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

YMMV

Our 900 has been around 11 litres this trip. Etec is slightly better at 10 litres. Put on 1300 km's in cochrane now. One more day of riding and looping back to timmins. One thing I noticed the etec floats better with less effort in deep stuff. 900 goes but is more work, no doubt and bogs down easier.. On trail they are pretty much equal in performance to 100 km/hr, then etec takes over. Going to order a new etec next fall. Like having one of each. Current one just turned 10500 km's. 

7 hours ago, andreyboater said:

I have a friend, he always on eco mode when we group riding, sometimes I wanna kill him:D 

LMAO!

That's too funny. You'd better not invite him on a trip to northern Ontario.

@Evil I havent tried the Eco mode on the trail. If I was worried about gas mileage I would buy a 600 ACE.

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LMAO!

That's too funny. You'd better not invite him on a trip to northern Ontario.

@Evil I havent tried the Eco mode on the trail. If I was worried about gas mileage I would buy a 600 ACE.

Eco mode only good for trailer or garage really. No sane person could drive in that mode unless short on fuel I suppose. 

Great pics Jerry & glad you were able to make it up north. Ive kind of done the history thing too for northern Ontario since my summer working west of Kirkland Lake in '79.

Wonderful Kap images. Probably the best local loops in northern Ontario.

On 2018-03-17 at 9:51 PM, Denis007 said:

20180317_205356.thumb.png.37f7c3d2f77192ba5b396aa5be69f1ec.png

Our moving average from Dub to Cochrane wasn't as high as yours but did run longer. 

PS Max speed was when we lifted track to warm up in the morning. 

5ab5bec4127a1_IMG_20180320_1938530(2).thumb.jpg.5399f5589f5f774b6dc84a4f988a0d99.jpg

Way to go, Yam! Great moving average.

Impressive! What sled (software?) tracks speed of a lifted track in the above manner? 

We saw a Polaris app last week - but thought it was gps based.

Migrating to GPS 'soon'. Trying to figure out the details.

Crazy temps! Minus 26. 

Anyhow, what gps unit is recommended? Thx again. Great info. I recall 'hanging around' with buddies and it truly was something like 2 hours in the typical day.

17 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Way to go, Yam! Great moving average.

Impressive! What sled (software?) tracks speed of a lifted track in the above manner? 

We saw a Polaris app last week - but thought it was gps based.

Migrating to GPS 'soon'. Trying to figure out the details.

Crazy temps! Minus 26. 

Anyhow, what gps unit is recommended? Thx again. Great info. I recall 'hanging around' with buddies and it truly was something like 2 hours in the typical day.

I use the Montana 650 and reset when just leaving in morning and stop it when arriving at hotel at end of day. Was glad i had muffs and thermals along.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Our moving average from Dub to Cochrane wasn't as high as yours but did run longer. 

PS Max speed was when we lifted track to warm up in the morning. 

5ab5bec4127a1_IMG_20180320_1938530(2).thumb.jpg.5399f5589f5f774b6dc84a4f988a0d99.jpg

I saw 170 on the dash mounted GPS Wednesday... cluster reading over 180. Still had some gear left in it ... :D ... my track for the ride showed 167 .... sample rate wasn't fast enough. 

Ditto on the Kap loops ... more variety than anywhere else I think. 

Grover_yyz i'm sure you saw these in your travels. And yes what a super area to ride sleds, beautiful country and people.

P_20180304_092331.jpg

P_20180304_092338.jpg

What's the giant surf board all aboot?

3 hours ago, Ox said:

What's the giant surf board all aboot?

There was a radar station @ Lowther on the Pine Tree Line. Not as well known as the DEW Line. 

Yeah, I am familiar with that line as well, but I think that line's all been disassembled long ago now, while they have been pushing to have the DEW line cleaned up as well recently.

I know some guys (I visited with only one of them actually) from Hearst that stayed in the DEW line camp @ Polar Bear Park several years ago on their trip to Resolute.

(Would love to have been along on that trip!)

So from another angle I'm guessing that _ that surfboard starts to go concave?

Archived