Last ride of the season April 5th - 9th

Carm

We just got back from Gaspe 5 days ago but I already have the itch! I know we are almost a month out but based on the long range forecast I am optimistic that great April riding is going to be possible this year. We are thinking Val d'Or/Amos or maybe Wawa/Dub, looking for weather and grooming info over the next couple of weeks from the locals.

As a worse case scenario we will make the 12 hour drive back to Gaspe or Mont Valin as I am sure they will be good to go.

Thanks,

Carm

Here is what  rider posted on here about our area.     This season I was in the gaspe peninsula for a week and have to say I enjoyed  sledding more from Halfway Haven to Marathon last week more.  

Our trails are sweet, it top shape and we have lot's of snow and the long term forecast is looking good.

• 2 weeks later...

Less than 2 weeks until our last ride of the year, Quebec or Northern Ontario...only Mother Nature can make the decision.

I just got back from Amos a few hours ago.   The trails were mint and even on Sat afternoon the traffic was minimal.   We rode 300kms on Friday and saw less than 10 sleds all day.   

Pretty much the same in the Northwest corridor of Ontario. First day..passed 3 riders ( 300 kms). Next day ..not sure if we saw anyone on the way out to Longlac.  One group of 3 on the way back eastward the next day. More as you approached Hornpayne and D'ville ( sole rider, smaller groups). 

Fun part was actually joining up with some oc'rs on a ride from Dubreuville to White River day 4 ( incredible trails for this time of year). 

Waste high snow in D'ville area. Pulled a couple of sleds out after (failed) attempts at turning around ...too funny.

Long days and trailside lunches make spring sledding special. Come hungry, my friends. Definitely plan for trailside snacks. Not the usual Feb " are we there yet". 

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Pretty much the same in the Northwest corridor of Ontario. First day..passed 3 riders ( 300 kms). Next day ..not sure if we saw anyone on the way out to Longlac.  One group of 3 on the way back eastward the next day. More as you approached Hornpayne and D'ville ( sole rider, smaller groups). 

Fun part was actually joining up with some oc'rs on a ride from Dubreuville to White River day 4 ( incredible trails for this time of year). 

Waste high snow in D'ville area. Pulled a couple of sleds out after (failed) attempts at turning around ...too funny.

Long days and trailside lunches make spring sledding special. Come hungry, my friends. Definitely plan for trailside snacks. Not the usual Feb " are we there yet". 

Trails stop snack are good when you are around lol   Good sausage.  Nice and warm days, lot's of snow.  it was good times, let's plan for next year.

On 2018-03-15 at 7:18 AM, The Groomer Guy said:

Here is what  rider posted on here about our area.     This season I was in the gaspe peninsula for a week and have to say I enjoyed  sledding more from Halfway Haven to Marathon last week more.  

Our trails are sweet, it top shape and we have lot's of snow and the long term forecast is looking good.

Luc, will you guys be grooming well into April? We were in Dubreuilville in January and your trails were amazing. Your area is a contender for my last ride this year. 

Carm we rode Mont Laurier north area last weekend. I think you travelled through there last year. Devils Mountain area, Rabaska, St Anne du Lac , Mekoos and N still had ton of snow. Road crossing, parking lots etc were bared off. Mont Laurier , Ferme Neuve , Chute de Phillip towns were places to avoid.

They are getting a couple really warm days this week then cooling off . Forecast right now shows Mont Laurier getting 5-10 cm snow on both April 5 and 6. If they received a bit of snow to cover the isolated bare spots it may be an option for your ride.

I have no idea if they will groom that week if cold enough or if they stop end of March. Sunday we were riding trails that hadn't been groomed in 3 days on the Quebec grooming map that were still smooth and excellent to ride.

ZR Sledhead stayed at the motel east of Mont Laurier. I think it had good trail access but you would need to confirm with him.

We stayed at Rabaska Lodge that was great but it has that 30 km of dirt/gravel road that will be a mess after this weeks thaw. It's not bad in winter when froze. I have never drove to Mekoos so not sure what the rode in to there is like in spring. I think it all decent paved road up to St Anne du Lac where that small motel is but have never driven there by truck.

As you know Gaspe, Mt Valin and N New Brunswick will have Riding likely but long drive for possible spring conditions.

Good luck and hope you find a good area for your final ride.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a fantastic 4 day ride around Amos, Val-d’or, la sarre and senneterre. Fresh snow everyday and lots of groomer activity the entire trip. Trails should be even better this weekend!

B945CDEB-46EF-4921-B3E4-1AB2D4411BA2.jpeg

5BEA2D2A-9856-4557-A0FF-D58A0BF047D3.jpeg

442E733D-197B-4E05-AE33-044E3AA2C023.jpeg

7EF33AC3-6CCE-4006-B7AA-95ADB99F1035.jpeg

2F65A3DE-FEF2-43E1-9D58-515F81F976FA.jpeg

FBA5A21E-EE71-48FA-A153-7A6CD1A430F7.jpeg

ED41BBFA-03FF-43AC-AF66-DAD65DDD6E94.jpeg

DF842EA4-8CF6-4147-BA17-2D07001241BE.jpeg

166398C9-9BF2-47F4-A39A-A840B9009654.jpeg

D644D367-8C76-40F8-8CB6-CAA4680C98C2.jpeg

Did you guys stay overnight at that cabin? 3rd pic

We were in Amos for a couple nights, recall seeing you somewhere. Remember a buddy was commenting on the warm weather windshield of the renegade.

Great conditions, low traffic, lots if snow....doesn't get any better.

More than one PISTON LAKE CRUISERS sticker on that warm up shack on Trail 93. Boy I love those trails up there.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

More than one PISTON LAKE CRUISERS sticker on that warm up shack on Trail 93. Boy I love those trails up there.

Never been there. You carry stickers with you? Who makes them up. Going to change my name to VR will be easier. Just need to carry v's and R's. 

On 2018-04-11 at 5:05 PM, JohnnyB said:

Did you guys stay overnight at that cabin? 3rd pic

We were in Amos for a couple nights, recall seeing you somewhere. Remember a buddy was commenting on the warm weather windshield of the renegade.

Great conditions, low traffic, lots if snow....doesn't get any better.

Yes we stayed in the cabin

Archived