Wake up Ontario. This is how it's done.

signfan

On 3/4/2018 at 12:30 PM, zoso said:

When you have a user pay system you are always going to have to deal with complaints from those paying. Your post sounds as if permit buyers are not paying. Mind you, I agree they are not paying the true costs. However that is not their problem nor concern, there is no demand they volunteer, unlike a yacht for instance that may demand a certain number of hours you volunteer and annual dues. When volunteering is not part of the contract, advertising promises groomed trails, and all marketing shows nothing but perfection, people cannot be expected to not complain when they ride crap for 200 kms and have a bad experience. The OFSC markets groomed trails, not moguls, they advertise a connected network, not 5 km dirt road runs on open trails. They do suggest you volunteer, but not in the forefront, and now do not even share permit buyer emails so a club can solicit. Perhaps it is time to find out which sledders really want trails, and charge the proper amount of money to ride. The fact is, we will see a drastic drop off in permit sales next fall year due to low snow this winter. I do not think it was ever price that caused the drop of sales exclusively when we raised the permit price, I think it was a combination of factors that was never fully understood and the easy answer was drop the price. The price needs to reflect the real cost of running a first class system with consistent grooming that actually provides what is sold. Advertise to a guy he can buy a trail pass and ride groomed trails, then groom once per week and the days he rides are the sixth day after grooming, of course he complains. Tell him what does he expect for 190 bucks and that if he has time to complain he has time to help is asinine. We advertised groomed trails, we set the price, we failed to provide what we advertised and his help will not put an operator and fuel in a groomer. so basically, a smart person would understand your answer is rude, condenscending, and a turn off. You cannot bully people into volunteering, and you should not advertise what you cannot provide. 

You make a lot of excellent points there. I do think overall its the cost of snowmobiling that drove so many out, and the pass was only part of that, and a relatively small one, although an often target for gripes, fair or not a lot of people gripe at permit costs. New sled prices and Insurance especially is what really cooked the goose in terms of cost imo. The snow conditions are always the biggest factor and theres nothing we can really do about that. There are a lot of fussy elements to the sport of snowmobiling in general to get out and have a perfect day where the sleds are running mint, the temperatures are cold but not "too" cold and theres plenty of snow AND its groomed, and your healthy enough to ride. A lot of ducks in that need to line up.

I suppose my rant above was meant to serve that regardless of ducks, a good attitude going in improves the outcome of any circumstance good or bad.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have reached out to the snowmobilers on this public forum and have followed a list of issues within this sport in Ontario. The one forum that caught my attention was the one where Quebec just received $11mil for the industry. I reached out and said there is money in Ontario as well if you know where to look and how to apply. I was surprised that I could not be directed to an OFSC person to bring this to their attention. People said go to the district level with my ideas. So here is an opportunity for you available at this time. The Ontario Sport & Recreation Communities (OSRCF) has a grant that supports a vision of getting and keeping Ontarians active in community sport, recreation & physical activity. Here is the link to the application: http://www.grants.gov.on.ca/GrantsPortal/en/OntarioGrants/GrantOpportunities/PRDR006918

Getting to these funds is all about the way the application is written and how you are going to allocate the funds use. Some people will look at this and say "we cannot qualify" but this is far from the truth. Think about how you want to introduce new people to the sport and what funds you need to do it. It takes a bit of creative thinking but is very doable. Please advise if I could be of further assistance, Steve

PS: as suggested by a reader, I did send this to the Orangeville club but really think the OFSC needs to apply.

11 hours ago, SteveB said:

I have reached out to the snowmobilers on this public forum and have followed a list of issues within this sport in Ontario. The one forum that caught my attention was the one where Quebec just received $11mil for the industry. I reached out and said there is money in Ontario as well if you know where to look and how to apply. I was surprised that I could not be directed to an OFSC person to bring this to their attention. People said go to the district level with my ideas. So here is an opportunity for you available at this time. The Ontario Sport & Recreation Communities (OSRCF) has a grant that supports a vision of getting and keeping Ontarians active in community sport, recreation & physical activity. Here is the link to the application: http://www.grants.gov.on.ca/GrantsPortal/en/OntarioGrants/GrantOpportunities/PRDR006918

Getting to these funds is all about the way the application is written and how you are going to allocate the funds use. Some people will look at this and say "we cannot qualify" but this is far from the truth. Think about how you want to introduce new people to the sport and what funds you need to do it. It takes a bit of creative thinking but is very doable. Please advise if I could be of further assistance, Steve

PS: as suggested by a reader, I did send this to the Orangeville club but really think the OFSC needs to apply.

I inquired locally about snowmobiles a few years ago after attending a presentation.

I can say 100 % snowmobiling would not get a dime from this.

As a very successful veteran proposal writer during time spent working within the First Nations Industry, I believe many points that SteveB is making are valid. There are many pots of money that can be accessed - as a matter of fact am detailing some of these and various commercial relationships in my email drive to alert marketing firms to upcoming possiblities with the OFSC. However, in my opinion, the lack of response to three poor seasons in a row in populous areas due to climate change is the biggest concern. Anyone who expects the current weather patterns to improve for sledders in southern Ontario is nuts. A giant change in thinking and a requisite supporting plan are required to adjust to this if snowmobiling in this province is to survive.

Early to mid 80's had some abysmal snow conditions too. Look at Europe, record cold, record snow. Antarctic has grown more this year than it has lost in 20 and FAR more than the arctic receded. Lots of conflict to that post slomo

I aint arguing to be a troll, im merely saying theres a lot of differing info and weather patterns out there, if you look for it

30 minutes ago, crispy said:

Early to mid 80's had some abysmal snow conditions too. Look at Europe, record cold, record snow. Antarctic has grown more this year than it has lost in 20 and FAR more than the arctic receded. Lots of conflict to that post slomo

I aint arguing to be a troll, im merely saying theres a lot of differing info and weather patterns out there, if you look for it

I remember some of those real low snow years too. Back then I didn't have a snowmobile and I was one of those that were really happy to not have to shovel it. No snowblower for us back then... they weren't too common for most people. I also remember years of huge amounts of snow. Walking the beach front of Wasaga and saying look at that, there's a roof on the ground. Then you walk up and find you're standing on hard packed snow as you look at the small space between the walls of the cottage under that roof and the snow built up around it.

Nature cycles, it comes it goes. It always has and always will.

Archived