Sell me Ontario vs. Quebec

Snowpromod

Hi All, 

i have been doing a lot of reading (too much) and need some insight.  Looking to run a loop next week and are considering the following: 

Searchmont - Duberville - Hearst - Cochrane - Abitibi Loop- Timmins - Chapleau - Searchmont 

We always go to Quebec and I have been told by others not to do this loop and go to Quebec instead.  Keep hearing that Northern Ontario is a zoo due to the lack of snow down south and that the groomers can’t keep up.  We would be riding Sunday - Friday, I understand weekends are busy everywhere.  Just trying to get a better feel of what to expect before we pull the trigger, which is tonight. 

thanks and think snow.

You'll be fine.   Give Ontario a try.  Great riding to be had.  Traffic won't be an issue especially mid week.  Next week is the Quebec March break, so they will have lots of traffic too.  Have a look at the 2018 northern blastoff post pics.  That's what the trails in Timmins look like today.

31 minutes ago, Snowpromod said:

Hi All, 

i have been doing a lot of reading (too much) and need some insight.  Looking to run a loop next week and are considering the following: 

Searchmont - Duberville - Hearst - Cochrane - Abitibi Loop- Timmins - Chapleau - Searchmont 

We always go to Quebec and I have been told by others not to do this loop and go to Quebec instead.  Keep hearing that Northern Ontario is a zoo due to the lack of snow down south and that the groomers can’t keep up.  We would be riding Sunday - Friday, I understand weekends are busy everywhere.  Just trying to get a better feel of what to expect before we pull the trigger, which is tonight. 

thanks and think snow.

That is a nice loop and should be in good shape. 

I would tell tell you to do it, but in reverse. I like less effort and faster later in my trip. Did this loop early this season and recommend it. Try to stop at the Moonbeam Clubhouse if you get a chance. 

Not many of my pictures will load, sorry. 

Have a good ride. 

20B8E941-72B7-4231-A7F5-5EF0A9FFCD0A.jpeg

0A909C29-3908-4A6F-81A5-04A0982C4F9C.jpeg

81D502C9-A545-42F5-A746-583AAA5C8821.jpeg

090EBAE2-1235-436B-9672-0377D00382D5.jpeg

1F8C4994-2D94-4199-AD96-0BF3650A5B14.jpeg

99919D46-AF19-44E3-A86C-F5C9011E505C.jpeg

2CFC1CD0-8BF2-4B29-B557-B7CA3EDD8F7E.jpeg

Great loop. Dub is a must stay that motel there is real nice. Moon beam is usually only open Thursday to Sunday and is a nice spot to stop for lunch when open. 

only rough trails will be in Cochrane area near town, riders reporting great trails ever where else. Hopefully hornepayne can have groomer fixed soon for you. Give it a try. I hope to go following week. 

8 minutes ago, Snowpromod said:

Best place to stay in Cochrane, easy to get to from the trail and a hot tub/sauna are a plus!

I like west way. Easy to get too on sled, no pool or sauna though. Thriftlodge is good too, might have a pool or sauna there. 

so you know, northern Ontario schools are on march break the 9-18th so you may notice an uptick in travel by locals for local loops, fishing, trapping with family. we will be at the house in dubreuilville that whole week fishing. enjoy your trip. wawa, dub area has so much snow in areas they are having a hard time keeping up with grooming, a GREAT THING TO HAVE, AFTER THE SLOW START, AND THE WINTER THAT NEVER WAS DOWN SOUTH. we will be riding into april. Ski

We rode Cochrane /Hearst/ Kap / Cochrane/ Timmins/ New Liskeard from Feb. 23-27th. We get going by 9 AM and we enjoyed 85% smooth trails. The trails may start to get rough mid afternoon in the Smooth Rock Falls to Cochrane area due to volume. If you are going to the canyon I think you are wise to go clockwise. The clubs up there are doing a great job with the trails given the number of people riding the Cochrane area.

34 minutes ago, Snowpromod said:

Best place to stay in Cochrane, easy to get to from the trail and a hot tub/sauna are a plus!

Best western has a pool tub.

https://www.hotelsone.com/cochrane-hotels-ca/best-western-swan-castle-inn.html?as=g&aid=112804106918&dsti=495623&dstt=8&akw=best western cochrane ontario&asrc=Search&ast=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5t7UBRDaARIsAOreQtgiVNwKErmdiMts9bW2RfjTb_I0qkzpAFsyFcqJY4fEe9XlaYbeN1YaAgmCEALw_wcB

Westway is great though. short cab ride to any restaurant.  Tim hortons right next door.

best place to stay in cochrane is  in smooth rock falls . The moose  motel is right beside gas and a good resturant and  all within a mile or too or west loop to canyon .    Trail cochrane to smooth rock has been  pummeled on a regular basis . On weekends  it resembles a snow cross event. Groomers are out trying but traffic is heavy  because of canyon loops    east canyon has some    road running and a bit of logging  hard on slider and the bride if two up    .   If two up you can avoid cochrane trail by riding smoother much shorter west  loop to canyon and back to smooth rock.     A  little boring but way faster  smoother running and no dayvorce .         Trails to west of smooth rock improve drastically       moonbeam clubhouse is close enough for late breakfast  right on the trail.     west  north and south routes to kap and beyond great .

This is a must do loop, Lots of snow and traffic is very low in the western part of the loop.  Trails are very well kept and if ever they get rough its because of a breakdown.      I'm from the Dubreuilville Club.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, gobills said:

I was checking motel locations in Cochrane after a 2016 & it would appear to be a lot of sparking to the trails from the Best Western & Station Inn when the snow is gone.

It has been a while since I've stayed in Cochrane, but for trail accessibility, I would suggest the Westway or Thriftlodge. North Adventure Inn is a no go.

We've rode up North 3x in the last year, and all mid week riding.  If you stay off of the A trail, you'll be fine.  Everyone seems to ride the A and no one ventures off of it.

Cochrane is the place to stay.  You can loop to Timmins, the Canyon (The East is the best part), Kap and back, and theres nice riding for a few hours around town.

We did New Liskeard last week, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

Looped to Temagami and back, Kirkland Lake and back, and even stretched it over to Shining Tree and back.

Now...all that being said...we're headed to K-Bec next week for the very first time, and we're really looking forward to the experience!

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 5:18 PM, Snowpromod said:

Hi All, 

thanks and think snow.

I think people are trying to keep you guys away from where they ride lol,  my area is fine.  :)

21 hours ago, monte1214 said:

We've rode up North 3x in the last year, and all mid week riding.  If you stay off of the A trail, you'll be fine.  Everyone seems to ride the A and no one ventures off of it.

Cochrane is the place to stay.  You can loop to Timmins, the Canyon (The East is the best part), Kap and back, and theres nice riding for a few hours around town.

We did New Liskeard last week, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

Looped to Temagami and back, Kirkland Lake and back, and even stretched it over to Shining Tree and back.

Now...all that being said...we're headed to K-Bec next week for the very first time, and we're really looking forward to the experience!

Did you try West of Cochrane?  have gone to Hearst?   People have been raving about the bi Northern Loop, with this crazy winter the trails are amazing, lot's of positive feedback from riders.   

Wanted to get out your way Luc, it just wasn’t in the cards.  

Well be doing the loop out your way next year!  

We are in Quebec( Valdor- Amos area) this week, its busy here too

We hit a fair bit of rough trail Monday, but that s to be expected after the weekend

We did a week trip in feb out of Kirkland Lake, left on a Monday rode to Wawa and back, trails were amazing

Both provinces are good in my book!

You can't beat Timmins and anywhere north west and east of there IMHO.  Timmins is really my go to anymore.  Great mix of trails and groomed to perfection.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 4:41 PM, monte1214 said:

Wanted to get out your way Luc, it just wasn’t in the cards.  

Well be doing the loop out your way next year!  

Right on!!!! See yah next year.   The Big comments we get from people that have always been on the East side Cochrane area said that they did not know the trails would be so nice out here and that trafic is lower and lots of snow.  The Big loop is helping people discover western parts of the loop that they never seen before.  I think every one riding in Northern Ontario should experience this Loop to discover new areas.  

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 5:33 PM, GTC said:

We are in Quebec( Valdor- Amos area) this week, its busy here too

We hit a fair bit of rough trail Monday, but that s to be expected after the weekend

We did a week trip in feb out of Kirkland Lake, left on a Monday rode to Wawa and back, trails were amazing

Both provinces are good in my book!

Nice you came close to my area, this you go north from Wawa to my trail system in Dubreuilville?

Archived