Planning on purchasing a newer used sled

grover_yyz

I have lost confidence in my sled for long distance multi-day trips in the north so I plan to upgrade to a newer sled. My question is how do i know the sled is paid for by the owner and there is no outstanding loan on it? I am looking at a 2015 Skidoo renegade 900 ACE with only 800kms (on Kijiji).  Sorry if this has been discussed already on the forum, just can't find any info here. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jerry

9 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I have lost confidence in my sled for long distance multi-day trips in the north so I plan to upgrade to a newer sled. My question is how do i know the sled is paid for by the owner and there is no outstanding loan on it? I am looking at a 2015 Skidoo renegade 900 ACE with only 800kms (on Kijiji).  Sorry if this has been discussed already on the forum, just can't find any info here. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jerry

Doesn't the seller have to give you the used vechicle information package (not one hundred percent sure if it applies to sleds never buy used) either way you should be able to take vin and license plate number to MTO and they can check title for you before buying. 

I believe the above is true

No used car package for sleds, but it's a great question that I don't know the answer too:D I bought a used sled a month ago and just used my gut. Also there's no "blue book" value what ever your bill of sale says is what you pay taxes on ;-)

Talk to your bank. Liens are registered. I would bet they know how to check.

Liens are registered under the Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) in Ontario. You can search via VIN number. There is a fee depending on who you use.

www.ppsa.ca seems to be the cheapest at $18.00

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Doesn't the seller have to give you the used vechicle information package (not one hundred percent sure if it applies to sleds never buy used) either way you should be able to take vin and license plate number to MTO and they can check title for you before buying. 

Lien search here. http://www.ppsa.ca/ppsaca/

8 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Liens are registered under the Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) in Ontario. You can search via VIN number. There is a fee depending on who you use.

www.ppsa.ca seems to be the cheapest at $18.00

For once ontario isnt the most expensive ,thanks for sight info 

So if the machine has a lien then what? Current owner has to have funds to remove lien, just wondering how that works. How do you ever know if he removes the lien and how much does it matter?

36 minutes ago, livewire said:

So if the machine has a lien then what? Current owner has to have funds to remove lien, just wondering how that works. How do you ever know if he removes the lien and how much does it matter?

The search will tell you who the lien holder is. Pay by bank draft and make it payable to the seller AND the lien holder. If possible go to the bank with the seller to complete the transaction and get a release or receipt from the bank. Once paid the bank will register a release under PPSA so title is clear. 

If the lien is not cleared then lien holder has the right to repossess the sled and you are left to recover funds from seller. 

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

The search will tell you who the lien holder is. Pay by bank draft and make it payable to the seller AND the lien holder. If possible go to the bank with the seller to complete the transaction and get a release or receipt from the bank. Once paid the bank will register a release under PPSA so title is clear. 

If the lien is not cleared then lien holder has the right to repossess the sled and you are left to recover funds from seller. 

will Mto transfer a vehicle ownership like a sled with a lien against it? I know vehicles they won't but it shows up on used vehcile package? 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

will Mto transfer a vehicle ownership like a sled with a lien against it? I know vehicles they won't but it shows up on used vehcile package? 

Since there is no Vehicle package for sleds I don't know how/why they would access the PPSA registry.  Seems like a Buyer Beware scenario.

Yupper buyer beware 

4 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Since there is no Vehicle package for sleds I don't know how/why they would access the PPSA registry.  Seems like a Buyer Beware scenario.

Last I heard it simply goes by VIN# whether it be a truck, car, sled, boat or ATV.

There's also the CPIC search to see if it's been reported stolen.

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm

you could always get the seller to show you his original bill of sale, if financing was done on it with a dealer, it should show that as well.

That being said, gut feeling goes a long way. you can usually get a good sense just looking around the guys house as to whether he has money and more than likely just paid for it on purchase.

Get a bill of sale stating its free and clear of any liens, and he won't stand a chance if you ever need to take him to small claims court.

1 hour ago, FishHog said:

you could always get the seller to show you his original bill of sale, if financing was done on it with a dealer, it should show that as well.

That being said, gut feeling goes a long way. you can usually get a good sense just looking around the guys house as to whether he has money and more than likely just paid for it on purchase.

Get a bill of sale stating its free and clear of any liens, and he won't stand a chance if you ever need to take him to small claims court.

Or, have him pay the 18 bucks to prove no lien. That is the right way to do it.  That way you never have to be concerned, or wake up to the repo man taking it away.

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

Or, have him pay the 18 bucks to prove no lien. That is the right way to do it.  That way you never have to be concerned, or wake up to the repo man taking it away.

Totally agree about having the seller have the paperwork ready for you.

just saying you may want to lookout for some serious rebates from manufactures and get a new non current.  i was looking the other day and saw a new 2014 sled for 6999 and warranty had not been started.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/markham-york-region/new-2014-polaris-snowmobile-6999-99/1332136528

4 hours ago, FishHog said:

this seems the most simple as my bill of sale shows my sled is paid in full.

cheers

32 minutes ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

this seems the most simple as my bill of sale shows my sled is paid in full.

cheers

What if the owner financed it through a bank and had the bank issue a bank draft or Electronic Funds Transfer to the dealer. The Bill of Sale from the dealer would still say Paid in Full.

Lien Check is the easiest way to do the deal knowing exactly what the status of ownership on the sled is. Cheap piece of mind and all you need to do it is the VIN.

Take the vin, pay the fee and run a title search and lien search, do both, cause mechanics etc can register liens as well.

If there is a lien on it, have the seller pay it out and get a discharge letter, if not willing etc, walk away

Archived