For people who have been to Quebec

Baylaker

10 hours ago, barberch said:

heading there in a week and a half. Using their interactive map to plan loops and found it to be very easy to use. Their fuel locations aren't all there much like the OFSC map, but I was able find what I needed. Hopefully the OFSC map is updated again to closly match what they have in Quebec. 

It would really be nice if the ITG worked as well as the Quebec interactive map does. Not sure why they didn't just copy the Quebec system.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago in one of the threads that someone at the gas station in Desmaraisville, Quebec said their station isn't on the Quebec map because it is an independent. Maybe the map creators only used locations listed by the major brands. Sledders need better than that.

when looking at trails that lead to towns, i zoomed in and there was usually a small dotted line trail that lead to gas or restaurant.

I think the present OFSC map is similar to the previous version that they used in quebec. OFSC map is a work in progress and I am sure it will get better. It would be great if the fuel stops that are on the trail made a donation to the clubs, but maybe its time we showed them regardless to help us plan our routes....

• 1 year later...

I know I’m resurrecting an old thread here, but The wife and I are wanting to do a Quebec trip late in the season. Last year was extremely busy for us buying a house in October, getting married in November and then having to finish up work before the season ended, so we didn’t get our honeymoon in. Our snow contracts stop April 15th so we’re thinking of taking our honeymoon & getting away for 4-5days before work begins in May. Is this too late in the season to be riding in quebec?

It is kind of late to be planning a trip, IMO.  While it might be possible, the effort into planning and booking a trip would be better spent planning a little earlier.

However, if you are looking at a destination to do day loops from, you might be OK.  I would suggest that you get a definite answer on cancellation policy.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

It is kind of late to be planning a trip, IMO.  While it might be possible, the effort into planning and booking a trip would be better spent planning a little earlier.

However, if you are looking at a destination to do day loops from, you might be OK.  I would suggest that you get a definite answer on cancellation policy.

Good luck.

Thanks SJ. Yeah we’re just thinking about a destination to do day loops from. Not really into the saddlebag trips. 

I was looking at their map and it looks like Ville-Marie would be a good starting point and give us the most options for day loops. I realize it’s getting late in the season, but knowing my luck we’ll get a storm back home and I’ll be outta business before I know it! 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

I know I’m resurrecting an old thread here, but The wife and I are wanting to do a Quebec trip late in the season. Last year was extremely busy for us buying a house in October, getting married in November and then having to finish up work before the season ended, so we didn’t get our honeymoon in. Our snow contracts stop April 15th so we’re thinking of taking our honeymoon & getting away for 4-5days before work begins in May. Is this too late in the season to be riding in quebec?

I get shavings from Quebec and local trucker that lives there usually delivery’s to me.  A few years ago,  I got a delivery third week of April, and he told me they still had four feet of snow and trails still good. I couldn’t believe it, but Quebec is a different world, no doubt. Good luck! 

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

I get shavings from Quebec and local trucker that lives there usually delivery’s to me.  A few years ago,  I got a delivery third week of April, and he told me they still had four feet of snow and trails still good. I couldn’t believe it, but Quebec is a different world, no doubt. Good luck! 

Wow! I guess I’ll start making phone calls around April 1st and see who’s got snow and where. If we can’t go, it’s not a big deal. But the wife mentioned it last night so it got me thinking it might be a great way to end the season and get our honeymoon outta the way! Lol

45 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Thanks SJ. Yeah we’re just thinking about a destination to do day loops from. Not really into the saddlebag trips. 

I was looking at their map and it looks like Ville-Marie would be a good starting point and give us the most options for day loops. I realize it’s getting late in the season, but knowing my luck we’ll get a storm back home and I’ll be outta business before I know it! 

You shouldn't count on Quebec's trails being open in late April. There are areas where it may be but not all areas. When you think of it Ville Marie is very close to New Liskeard only further south. If Liskeard isn't open then likely Ville Marie won't be either. Personally, if I was looking to do day loops in N.W. Quebec I would either pick Amos or Val D Or. That way you can go every direction from base. In Ville Marie you can only go 3 directions and that late in the year, you likely wouldn't be riding south.

I remember one year riding from Amos to Cochrane at the end of March. We were riding on fresh groomed trail but there were no trail signs. When we got to La Reine the groomer was sitting on the trail and the operator was out taking down the trail signage and loading it on the drag. We rode from there to Cochrane with our jackets off and just about didn't made it on fumes because the sleds were really drinking it in the warm weather.

Good point, never thought of that. It does look like there’s some good options for day loops from Amos & Val-dor. Does anybody know of a very nice and clean place to stay, perhaps a nice cabin? Don’t want a hotel or motel, not sure what options I have that late into the season though.

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Good point, never thought of that. It does look like there’s some good options for day loops from Amos & Val-dor. Does anybody know of a very nice and clean place to stay, perhaps a nice cabin? Don’t want a hotel or motel, not sure what options I have that late into the season though.

The only place that I know that has cabins in Mont Video, a ski Hill near Barraute east of Amos and north of Val D Or. Its a ski resort close to Trail 93. Would be a central point for day trips. You can check it out at  www.montvideo.ca. All the other spots I know of are motels and hotels.

• Thanks 1

But the Amosphere in Amos is not your normal spot. Big rooms and fantastic restaurant. Cool outdoor hot tubs. I  really recommend it. Many of the Pourvories in Quebec shut down to get ready for the hunting and fishing season mid April 

• Like 1

Mont Valin, Saguenay likely has the best chance of snow and riding mid April.

The mountains would be a much more scenic spot to spend your honeymoon.

Beautiful log cabins at the ski hill.

Check out:

https://www.passionquebec.qc.ca/en/c-our-cottages-in-mons-valin/log-cabin-12676

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, signfan said:

West Coast of nfld for that time of year.  Base out of Cornerbrook area.  You may get lucky elsewhere, but it's a crap shoot.

I’d rather fly somewhere warm before I drive that far lol and I hate flying

Edited by Baylaker

2 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Mont Valin, Saguenay likely has the best chance of snow and riding mid April.

The mountains would be a much more scenic spot to spend your honeymoon.

Beautiful log cabins at the ski hill.

Check out:

https://www.passionquebec.qc.ca/en/c-our-cottages-in-mons-valin/log-cabin-12676

Looks like a nice area with some nice cabins. Lots of options for riding!

Has anyone done this trip...on my bucket list.

The White trail

The White trail is a snowmobile trail primarily intended for residents of the Basse-Côte-Nord to facilitate their winter travel. It is also the only continuous land link between Natashquan (Pointe-Parent) and Blanc-Sablon. This vast territory, part of which borders the shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, is not connected to the rest of Quebec by road. During the winter season, the Ministère des Transports maintains the White Route, a nearly 525 km snowmobile trail between Natashquan (Pointe-Parent) and Blanc-Sablon. Over the winter, the course of the white road may vary depending on obstacles (rivers and lakes) and the weather conditions

I have not yet done this, but my buddy and his wife did a couple years ago. They are both new to snowmobiling and made it . They were rented skandic’s by a local dealer . 
I have a friend from Blanc Sablon and plan to do this trip this year or next with my Son. Apparently a designated local grooms the trail 20 miles each direction from their house and turns around at a warm-up shack where the adjoining local takes over. 
I don’t believe my buddy carried fuel with him so must be available as needed. 

4 hours ago, zoso said:

Has anyone done this trip...on my bucket list.

The White trail

The White trail is a snowmobile trail primarily intended for residents of the Basse-Côte-Nord to facilitate their winter travel. It is also the only continuous land link between Natashquan (Pointe-Parent) and Blanc-Sablon. This vast territory, part of which borders the shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, is not connected to the rest of Quebec by road. During the winter season, the Ministère des Transports maintains the White Route, a nearly 525 km snowmobile trail between Natashquan (Pointe-Parent) and Blanc-Sablon. Over the winter, the course of the white road may vary depending on obstacles (rivers and lakes) and the weather conditions

quebecrider forum has some good info and stories about The White Trail and some other interesting info on Labrador 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, Baylaker said:

Looks like we’re planning a couple trips in Quebec for next year! Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated!

If you can be a bit more specific as to where you want to start from, how days, then those of us that have been there can provide some more info for you.

Example, I'm in Ottawa, trailered  to Val-d-Or. Sat - sled to Matagami. Sun - sled to Rouyn-Noranda. Mon morning sled back to Val-d-Or, Monday PM drive home. 900KM of riding in 2.5 days. (and I'm 60+).

Gaspe - did the whole loop first time. Tried a shorter loop last year. So much snow that the trails were closed from a storm. Pics are from the same storm around Matane where I rolled and ended my season. If doing the Gaspe, watch the weather as being snowed in 1 or 2 days very real possibility.

Like everyone says, the atmosphere everywhere in QC is very supportive of sledding (except the Surete de QC around Mont Laurier - don't like custom plate numbers, apparently).

Need a left side mirror also - compulsory (they are not fans of wrist mounted either.)

IMG-20190227-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190226-WA0011.jpg

On 2/25/2018 at 4:09 PM, Baylaker said:

Girlfriend and I are planning on riding Quebec at least once next season. Maybe more depending on what it’s like. I’ve heard Quebec is way better than Ontario.

my questions are 

-what is the trail system like? Signage, etc?

-are they wide and well groomed?

-how does the insurance work on our sleds? I heard it’s included when you purchase a trail pass...

-what are some good areas to ride/stay?

-and is there really that much more snow?

any info from anybody would be helpful! We would also like to start in Ontario, maybe ride for a day or 2 in Ontario and then ride into Quebec for another 1-2 days, so any suggestions on that would be good too! Thanks guys!

Being from Furgus, the farther you travel, the better it gets.  With the exception of Gaspe (which is a heck of a long way east) the further north and east you go, the better.  Clubs use a star system to rate thier green trails.  3 is min, 5 is awesome. You have to find the local club web page to get this level of detail.

One big question - when are you planning on going? Some areas open before christmas but if you're thinking February; pretty much everywhere should be good to go.

Comments:

• To make the travel worthwhile, get a 3 day permit at a minimum (4-5 day trip including driving)
  • If you plan to stay over a weekend, book well in advance (November?)
  • You will need at least 1 rear-view mirror mounted to the sled. (left side)
  • Many trails are old logging roads so they are wide and fast
  • Food is better than ONT.
  • Stay away from the free weekend if possible.  Go during the week (same as Ont).
  • Report back!

I am pretty much an exclusive Quebec Rider now and when planning trips there I generally dont want to commit to more than 250kms a day.   I just cant get the miles on in a day in Quebec as I can in Northern Ontario.   

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

I am pretty much an exclusive Quebec Rider now and when planning trips there I generally dont want to commit to more than 250kms a day.   I just cant get the miles on in a day in Quebec as I can in Northern Ontario.   

My buddy just got back from Quebec yesterday. He said they did just over 300kms the first day in about 5hrs, and the next day did 450kms. The were up in Amos and he said they’re wide trails & fast! The wife and I will do 275-300kms in a day no problem just taking our time in Ontario. I’m sure we could do more in Quebec. You sure you don’t have it backwards Scotty? Lol

Edited by Baylaker

41 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

My buddy just got back from Quebec yesterday. He said they did just over 300kms the first day in about 5hrs, and the next day did 450kms. The were up in Amos and he said they’re wide trails & fast! The wife and I will do 275-300kms in a day no problem just taking our time in Ontario. I’m sure we could do more in Quebec. You sure you don’t have it backwards Scotty? Lol

Depends where you are in Quebec. They aren't all like they are in Northwestern Quebec.  

22 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Depends where you are in Quebec. They aren't all like they are in Northwestern Quebec.  

Plus accidents (stories & memories) tend to happen when least expected...... :icon_steer: