Elliot Lake

tricky

Sounds like a great trip Tricky 

Thank's for sharing, so beautiful up there. 

Elliot Lake is a beautiful city.  I lived there for many years, but left 20 years back due to a job transfer.  However, I often visit and chat with the locals and try to get insight into the real estate market in the event I move back someday.

Last summer, I was hiking just outside of Elliot Lake when this guy pulls up with an ATV.  He said, he packed it in and moved to Elliot Lake.  Bought a house with garage for $32,000 is what he said.  Last week, I was back in Elliot Lake and chatted with another gentleman that bought a house with garage for $40,000.  These guys appear to have retired early from the big cities.  Both had grins from ear-to-ear.

12 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Elliot Lake is a beautiful city.  I lived there for many years, but left 20 years back due to a job transfer.  However, I often visit and chat with the locals and try to get insight into the real estate market in the event I move back someday.

Last summer, I was hiking just outside of Elliot Lake when this guy pulls up with an ATV.  He said, he packed it in and moved to Elliot Lake.  Bought a house with garage for $32,000 is what he said.  Last week, I was back in Elliot Lake and chatted with another gentleman that bought a house with garage for $40,000.  These guys appear to have retired early from the big cities.  Both had grins from ear-to-ear.

The town has done an excellent job of marketing to retirees. Low real estate costs and working to ensure the services seniors require is available. There are only a couple of problems with that far north. Winter tends to be extremely cold, often colder than I would want to ride a snowmobile in now let alone 10 years from now, mosquitos show up on aircraft radar AND summer lasts from July 23 to August 10   :D  Moving out of Toronto is a priority for me, not so much for my wife. Just not that far north.  

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The town has done an excellent job of marketing to retirees. Low real estate costs and working to ensure the services seniors require is available. There are only a couple of problems with that far north. Winter tends to be extremely cold, often colder than I would want to ride a snowmobile in now let alone 10 years from now, mosquitos show up on aircraft radar AND summer lasts from July 23 to August 10   :D  Moving out of Toronto is a priority for me, not so much for my wife. Just not that far north.  

Probably better if you stay in T.O.

We already have enough city transplants who ask the typical questions. Why is it so cold?, Why is there so many bugs?, Why are there no streetlights? Why can't I get a pizza delivered?, Why are there no sidewalks? Why is it not like the city? etc etc ad nauseum!

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

Probably better if you stay in T.O.

We already have enough city transplants who ask the typical questions. Why is it so cold?, Why is there so many bugs?, Why are there no streetlights? Why can't I get a pizza delivered?, Why are there no sidewalks? Why is it not like the city? etc etc ad nauseum!

I know all those answers... just Elliot Lake is a little too cold and too far removed for my liking. Muskoka suits me just fine.

Conditions update ?

Hearing they got more snow in the Elliot Lake area. Considering a ride up that wat later next week if conditions hold. Thanks

On 3/5/2018 at 4:11 PM, 02Sled said:

Friends lived there for 11 years until moving to Timmins. He said the weather in Elliot Lake was much more moderate (relative) than Timmins. He wasn't ready for the 1st winter they spent 'up there'.

One thing few realize about Elliot is that in its quest to get a new hospital it will actually only get a much smaller one with even less services. Unfortunately the ontario funding model after elliots much smaller population is taken into account leaves them with a new one maybe the size of Blind Rivers. At least the old one can still handle births and some emergency needs. But already most need to be sent to sudbury. ...example stroke victims ( my brother died of stroke because it took 3 hrs by time he got to sudbury from elliot. ) I have good memories of town and visit still but not enough services or shopping left now.

17 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

One thing few realize about Elliot is that in its quest to get a new hospital it will actually only get a much smaller one with even less services. Unfortunately the ontario funding model after elliots much smaller population is taken into account leaves them with a new one maybe the size of Blind Rivers. At least the old one can still handle births and some emergency needs. But already most need to be sent to sudbury. ...example stroke victims ( my brother died of stroke because it took 3 hrs by time he got to sudbury from elliot. ) I have good memories of town and visit still but not enough services or shopping left now.

They were marketing it as the ideal retirement community with all of the services that retirees would need. Medical, shopping, transit etc. What went wrong?

On 05/03/2018 at 4:02 PM, Dan-Senior said:

Lots of people lost a lot of money when the mines closed. Yes it was great that Bob Izumi made a lot of money in real estate up there, but people who had lost their jobs more or less had fire sales when they had to sell en masse & move elsewhere for work.

Yep and after the Mall collapse and inquiry exposed the town's " non profit" retirement living involvment and questionable practices ....private investment dried up and taxes went up further and with no mines to cushion pay ing commercial taxes ....services are on down trend ....and other towns jumped on retirement living idea too. 

A photo I took a few years back from the top of Beaver Mountain.  This view is showing the north half of the city.  You can see the OFSC / ATV trail on the left.  The public boat launch is in the lower-right.

elliot lake.jpg

Its been a few weeks since I was in Elliot Lake. I went back today for our Cross-Country run and was quite surprised to see the recent addition of snow north of the city.  Certainly welcome news compared to 2 weeks ago.  We hit good snow-depth in and around  Dunlop Lake area and north-westward.

a-elliotlake.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Its been a few weeks since I was in Elliot Lake. I went back today for our Cross-Country run and was quite surprised to see the recent addition of snow north of the city.  Certainly welcome news compared to 2 weeks ago.  We hit good snow-depth in and around  Dunlop Lake area

a-elliotlake.jpg

Man, now you tell me.  Was going to go, but read your last post about low snow conditions in area and assumed it hadn't improved.

10 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Its been a few weeks since I was in Elliot Lake. I went back today for our Cross-Country run and was quite surprised to see the recent addition of snow north of the city.  Certainly welcome news compared to 2 weeks ago.  We hit good snow-depth in and around  Dunlop Lake area and north-westward.

a-elliotlake.jpg

Great to meet up with you yesterday Dan. 

Can’t wait for the video. 

Trails we ran were in good shape. 

I heard first hand from one of my closest riding buddies that the trails are literally "mint" in Elliot Lake right now.  He lives, works and rides in Elliot Lake and was last out riding on Sunday.  Get going!

7 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Good to hear that you guys had good trails yesterday. Have a great ride today!! Say hi to everyone for me!

Will do Chris. At HH now. Trails were beautiful today. Saw 9 sleds all day. 

D13 is the place to ride. IMHO

Spent the weekend on Dunlop Lake (north of Elliot) and the bush still has two feet of snow most places , lake has 2 feet of blue ice and 1 foot of white messy ice.........the lake also is now short a couple nice lake trout due to me and my grand daughter.  Lots of machines on lake , and we even had to help push a older Jeep Liberty that decided to slow down on the ice at our far west end of lake to turn around ............and got stuck .  The temperature just hovered around 0 c both days and cold nights so I doubt any snow was lost. Excellent way to close off the winter.

30 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

........the lake also is now short a couple nice lake trout due to me and my grand daughter....

LOL

Sounds like a nice weekend of fishing on Dunlop.  Glad you had a good time on the lake.  One of my daughters and I tentatively have a cross country run planned for this upcoming weekend into Dunlop Lake from highway 546.  She enjoys riding the backcountry as well.  Temperature looks to stay cool, which is welcome news.

Wedge-Sleds.jpg

Archived