White River/Marathon

tricky

the owners of the Husky fuel station, the continental motel, and the white river motel are snowmobile friendly, and are helping support this re-established link. the petrocan/a&w (in white river) does not... food for thought.

Craig, and his crew from marathon, and the couple that run H&C family lodge at hammer lake (great food, and great people) are INSTRUMENTAL IN KEEPING THIS LINK OPEN. H&C is approx. half way between dubreuilville and white river, PLEASE STOP IN, AND HAVE A BREAK, drink a coffee, have a burger (huge portions, and GREAT PRICES). support those that support us!!! they are RIGHT ON THE TRAIL.

also in thinking about supporting those that support us. plan on stopping, staying, or spending some time, money in the two towns that did this for US... Marathon, and Dubreuilville. those two communities deserve some of our overnight lodging, and more than stopping for fuel. stage out of dub, ride over planning on staying the night in marathon, drop your bags and go explore the north superior experience, for the rest of the day. then ride back to Dub and stay at the Relais Magpie, and eat at the LOL resto/pub, the next. lots of options for basing out of Dubreuilville, Wawa area.

hard to beat the region for people, views, memories low traffic, and smooth trails. Ski

Ski

P1020047.JPG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear ths about H & C. I had read on DooTalk about someone's crew staying there. I thought they were a bit out of the way since they weren't in either White River or Wawa.

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

the owners of the Husky fuel station, the continental motel, and the white river motel are snowmobile friendly, and are helping support this re-established link. the petrocan/a&w (in white river) does not... food for thought.

Craig, and his crew from marathon, and the couple that run H&C family lodge at hammer lake (great food, and great people) are INSTRUMENTAL IN KEEPING THIS LINK OPEN. H&C is approx. half way between dubreuilville and white river, PLEASE STOP IN, AND HAVE A BREAK, drink a coffee, have a burger (huge portions, and GREAT PRICES). support those that support us!!! they are RIGHT ON THE TRAIL.

also in thinking about supporting those that support us. plan on stopping, staying, or spending some time, money in the two towns that did this for US... Marathon, and Dubreuilville. those two communities deserve some of our overnight lodging, and more than stopping for fuel. stage out of dub, ride over planning on staying the night in marathon, drop your bags and go explore the north superior experience, for the rest of the day. then ride back to Dub and stay at the Relais Magpie, and eat at the LOL resto/pub, the next. lots of options for basing out of Dubreuilville, Wawa area.

hard to beat the region for people, views, memories low traffic, and smooth trails. Ski

Ski

P1020047.JPG

Are you trying to impersonate Marlin from "Finding Nemo" :poke2:  :lmao:

Thanks for the info on H & C.  AC+YA mentioned them to us when my daughter and I rode to WR from Dub a few years ago, but we didn't see it.  Hopefully the signage is better (or my eyesight improves).

As the Petrocan and A&W do not support the trails, are there other competing establishments that do for food and fuel? 

I agree that, especially on the fragile links, we should support those who support us.

Thanks for the information :right_on:

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Are you trying to impersonate Marlin from "Finding Nemo" :poke2:  :lmao:

Thanks for the info on H & C.  AC+YA mentioned them to us when my daughter and I rode to WR from Dub a few years ago, but we didn't see it.  Hopefully the signage is better (or my eyesight improves).

As the Petrocan and A&W do not support the trails, are there other competing establishments that do for food and fuel? 

I agree that, especially on the fragile links, we should support those who support us.

Thanks for the information :right_on:

Sj the Husky is trail accessible. There is an Esso nearby (if my memory is correct).

Thanks Crawdaddy and Northstar for the recent trip reports. If I can't get my friends to go to Marathon now, I need new sledding friends.

Now what's with the "yellow" conditions from Halfway to Wawa. Somebody powerful just doesn't want me to get to Marathon this year.

5 hours ago, northstar said:

Rode this trail last week and have to say it was one of the best trails I have been on this season ,  scenery was good , trail was mixed with rolling hills (some steep but not crazy)   wide logging roads fast sections, and some nice bush sections . There was a bit of traffic met 7 sleds heading to Marathon and 12 sleds the next day on the way back. It is too bad that the trails closed past Marathon and to Manitouwadge , maybe if enough people travelled the north west it might open up some of the trails.  This season I was in the gaspe peninsula for a week and have to say I enjoyed  sledding more from Halfway Haven to Marathon last week more.  

bite your tongue eddy...c u thurs nite

2 minutes ago, yamirider said:

How far is it from Dub. to Marathon? Thanks

About 145 miles total.  About 38 miles to H&C from Dub then about 32 more to White River. Then about 75 more from White River to Marathon.

Gas at all places noted.  Not sure they have cabins available anymore in the winter at H&C?  Have stayed in the past before it was sold, but it was not what I would call nice back then.  It was cheap, but I would plan to stay at the Marathon Harbour Inn, in WR the Continental which has a restaurant of its own and the MRM in Dub.    

Thanks for the replies Crawdaddy & AC+YA.  We should be leaving the WAWA motor inn on Friday morning heading to Marathon.  I have ridden in all directions from WAWA and Dub. but never went to Marathon.  Sounds like the trail from WR to Marathon is awesome.  

Yamirider, thanks in advance, for your impression of the trail conditions this weekend to Marathon.

H&C is right on the trail but, many bypass it because they see rv's parked there, and think it is a campground, or someone's camp. they need, and the owners said, they need better signage as a lot of people stop in the "yard" but, get confused and move on.

from dub, shortly after the big, white river map area, you go over a little "ramp" type hill, then to your left, as you are going through the "lot" hwy 17 is RIGHT THERE, the lodge, resto, store, is right on the hwy. Ski 

I made an error in the name of the lodge, I owe Jeremy and Cynthia an apology for not realizing the name of their establishment is, the fishing moose lodge. I just knew it as H&C but, that will have to change. I didn't know the owners names (Jeremy, and Cynthia), until I looked them up on the web, http://www.fishingmooselodge.com/home.html 

they are good people, have great food, and attitude, have many great fishing lakes within spitting distance of the lodge, and pavement. stop in for a visit. Ski

17 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks Crawdaddy and Northstar for the recent trip reports. If I can't get my friends to go to Marathon now, I need new sledding friends.

Now what's with the "yellow" conditions from Halfway to Wawa. Somebody powerful just doesn't want me to get to Marathon this year.

Halfway to wawa is green now last week the groomer was broke down but was not too bad, we are going back  starting at Elliot lake friday morning when are you thinking of going ?

Northstar,

Thinking of driving to Serchmont Monday, sledding Tuesday thru Friday.

4 minutes ago, tricky said:

Northstar,

Thinking of driving to Serchmont Monday, sledding Tuesday thru Friday.

Dunlop lake lodge (Elliot lake) is a good start point , saves a 2-3 hours driving and nice trail from there , will post the trail condition when we go on friday

5 hours ago, northstar said:

Dunlop lake lodge (Elliot lake) is a good start point , saves a 2-3 hours driving and nice trail from there , will post the trail condition when we go on friday

I like staging from Dunlop Lake Lodge, but several riders on this forum advised that there isn't enough snow to adequately cover the rocky up and down trails up to highway 546, plus I am determined to get to Marathon and our group is limiting the ride to 4 days. Therefore, Elliot Lake is too far east to stage. For me, DLL will have to wait until next year.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 10:57 AM, northstar said:

Rode this trail last week and have to say it was one of the best trails I have been on this season ,  scenery was good , trail was mixed with rolling hills (some steep but not crazy)   wide logging roads fast sections, and some nice bush sections . There was a bit of traffic met 7 sleds heading to Marathon and 12 sleds the next day on the way back. It is too bad that the trails closed past Marathon and to Manitouwadge , maybe if enough people travelled the north west it might open up some of the trails.  This season I was in the gaspe peninsula for a week and have to say I enjoyed  sledding more from Halfway Haven to Marathon last week more.  

Wow, thanks for your comments Northstar, Makes us feel good hearing that,  I've been telling people this, they blast Ontario and say Quebec is better or Cochrane but they never been in our area.    We have a good mix of trails, no boring stuff.  Wait till you guys come back next year it will be even better in D-13,  Makes plans to come up next season.    Oh and yes if more people are coming to ride to marathon that will greatly help to have the West trail open and a trail to manitouwadge.   Please keep on coming and tell us you like the area.  that's the way you can help make a difference.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 11:09 AM, Crawdaddy said:

Seeing all those old trail signs last week made me do a bit of digging. I'm sure if Marathon see's more ridership it could spur interest in opening the trail further west or north to Manitouwedge. By the looks of the sponsored map it seems that Manitouwedge was a bit of sledding hot spot a few years ago.

D 16 Trail map.pdf

D16 east trail guide.pdf

You are right, Keep on riding and talking about the area, show interest and make your voice heard and things will come, there can be trails added.  We just need to show interest from riders, I wish the trail west from marathon would re open it's amazing that way.   Send Comments to our district Facebook page   Algoma Snow Plan Afiliation   ASPA or on the Web site.   this is how you can help out from Home. Spread the word. 

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 11:28 AM, skidooboy said:

Ski

P1020047.JPG

Hey and go buy chips and Pop at the Quickee-Mart hahahahaha,  you are so right Eric, thats the way people can help, by riding the trail and showing activity on will open up more trails and loops.  

So I really want to get to Marathon next week. I have convinced my group, that bailed out three weeks ago, to go back and finish the trip. I booked Driftwood Valley, Magpie Relay and then ..... No rooms available at Marathon Harbour Inn!!!!! Ouch. Does anyone have any other recommendation for Marathon? I have to stay in Marathon because we have one senior, senior rider who is stretching it to do 230 km from Dub. I can't find anything but bad reviews on the other motels in Marathon. Any first hand accounts would be appreciated. I would sleep in a dump to get this trip in, but my friends are fussier.

call, or hit craig up on fb (marathon snow kickers). Jeremy at fishing moose lodge in white river, should be able to get you his contact as well. Craig should be able to recommend a place... unless there is a curling, or hockey tourney in town... then you may be out of luck. Ski

Thanks for the leads, ski, but I had gone ahead and booked into the Zero-100 Motor Inn for Wednesday night. I liked the name, even it it doesn't say MPH, and I believe that is the same inn that we stayed at 12 or 14 years ago.

Now I can't wait to get north again, especially to experience the trail to Marathon!

On 3/15/2018 at 9:40 AM, tricky said:

So I really want to get to Marathon next week. I have convinced my group, that bailed out three weeks ago, to go back and finish the trip. I booked Driftwood Valley, Magpie Relay and then ..... No rooms available at Marathon Harbour Inn!!!!! Ouch. Does anyone have any other recommendation for Marathon? I have to stay in Marathon because we have one senior, senior rider who is stretching it to do 230 km from Dub. I can't find anything but bad reviews on the other motels in Marathon. Any first hand accounts would be appreciated. I would sleep in a dump to get this trip in, but my friends are fussier.

I guess they would've been sleeping on a snow bank the 1st time I rode up north north. The guys 'organizing' it were just going by the motels in the back of the magazine. The Two Bridges in Kap was not 'Michelin material', but all that was available. Same could be said the next year in the long gone Don Lou in KL. This was about the same time I started working on the database.

Have these guys ever stayed @ a hunting camp? LOL

IMO, guys should be flexible, but these are places you wouldn't take your g/f or wife to. 

Archived