Wonder what yamaha has up their sleeve....

Baylaker

11 hours ago, Canuck said:

For the kill switch to work, does snowmobile have to start in cold weather first?

:-P

Lol mine actually started first try yesterday...most times it never starts on the first try, always instantly on the second try though...the odd time it’ll start first try.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, zoso said:

Who in their right mind payed 18k for a 2018 apex? Just buy a 2012 with 5000 km on it for 6k and get the exact same sled.

Yep, you're right.  Only reason to buy 'new current' might be warranty, and you don't need it on these models.

4 hours ago, whits-end said:

Yep, you're right.  Only reason to buy 'new current' might be warranty, and you don't need it on these models.

Will they still be selling the Apex and Vector in 2019? I wonder what the sales were like for 2018 on these out of date models. To be realistic, they were out of date 10 years ago and have not changed at all. The engine in the apex is a work of art, but the rest of the sled is pretty much terrible compared to today's modern sleds that keep advancing each year.

11 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Not sure what you mean by "torsional damper".  It you are referring to the Performance Damper, I can attest that it really does make a difference.  First 500 Km on my '15 did not have the YPD's.  Amazing the difference once they were installed.  The sled was much more stable.

What are you smoking ?

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The power steering is increasingly attractive to many I have talked to as they are aging.

Need power steering so you need to go to the gym to spend more money on a work out.  You don't need PS on a Procross chassis.

A well designed/balanced chassis does not require power steering.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Need power steering so you need to go to the gym to spend more money on a work out.  You don't need PS on a Procross chassis.

Arthritic joints, hands, elbows and shoulders don't get better with a trip to the gym. I did say aging.

I am not up on the latest tech from any manu, but is this suspension not different?

image.thumb.png.fd11e204d61e74d0cc20142972522410.png

12 minutes ago, zoso said:

Arctic cat suspension. Arctic Cat is simply putting Yamaha graphics on arctic cat sleds.

Fixed it for you

I have a buddy with a 16 Viper with those things on it.  After riding back to back on trail and lake, feels absolutely no different than my XF7000.  I am not that gullable.

16 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

I find it interesting that some people on here turn a personal opinion into a "fact" or "bashing" of a brand. I would suggest you might be better off in another website or forum

Well it is a fact that the apex and vector are antiquated designs that never evolved and were just sent out year after year as the same sled with different graphics. Yamaha lost interest in developing new sleds after the nytro came out ten years ago. Most likely because it was a bad sled that handled like a dump truck and after trying to bring a rider forward modern chassis to the market that tuned out to be a flop, they just packed it in and let cat design their new models.

39 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I have a buddy with a 16 Viper with those things on it.  After riding back to back on trail and lake, feels absolutely no different than my XF7000.  I am not that gullable.

You just proved my point. 

Since  your buddy's Viper is obviously a Cat chassis, your experience ("feels absolutely no different") is of little relevance to sledjunk's perceptions on his very different Yamaha Vector chassis. 

2 hours ago, Grimm said:

A well designed/balanced chassis does not require power steering.

After trading sleds with a friend on a Renegade 1200, I was impressed with the handling, but commented that if I rode a Ski-Doo, I would have arms to lift a Yamaha.

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

What are you smoking ?

Oh, let's see, only about 20000 Km on a Vector without and then 22000 on a Vector with.

13 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

After trading sleds with a friend on a Renegade 1200, I was impressed with the handling, but commented that if I rode a Ski-Doo, I would have arms to lift a Yamaha.

Oh, let's see, only about 20000 Km on a Vector without and then 22000 on a Vector with.

You should ride my sled, 26 inches of carbide on simmons, heavy front end with as much ski pressure as I can add. It is like going to the gym for ten hours when I ride, and I love it. However if you do not have a lot of upper body strength you would hate it. it rails and will kick down tight trails better than any light two stroke. Just takes strength to get ti done. that is what I like about the concept of power steering, you can set up a sled like mine with a ton of bite, and not have to work it. IMO it should have been picked up by others, and with the demographic of older riders increasing, it still should be.

My guess is something turbo'd but a bit smaller powered, maybe a 500cc 4 stroke with a turbo ?  Entry level into the turbo market ? 

23 hours ago, Canuck said:

For the kill switch to work, does snowmobile have to start in cold weather first?

:-P

Never had any issues with my Winder starting in cold weather, have heard of some people having the fuel relay freeze though.  Buddies skidoo, well good thing he installed the back up pull start.  

4 hours ago, Old Sledder said:

I find it interesting that some people on here turn a personal opinion into a "fact" or "bashing" of a brand. I would suggest you might be better off in another website or forum

If you follow any topic closely about sled related questions, you'll find the ones who know all the facts and brand bashing ride the same manufacturer. 

I’d love power steering on every sled lol

of course I’d love to see a turbo apex in a all new Yamaha chassis 

48 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

I’d love power steering on every sled lol

of course I’d love to see a turbo apex in a all new Yamaha chassis 

Until the power steering unit fails and it costs upwards of $1500 to replace.

Archived